Hiring Questions

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Hey Everyone,

Been on here now for a while and I've gotten some great information but wanted to just come out and ask some questions. As of today I am exactly one year from being out of the Marines and available to the ATC civilian world.

I realize I'm still a bit far out but my questions pertain to any information that anyone might be able to provide in regards to taking steps to getting hired to either or both FAA and Contract Towers. This past year has flown by so I can only imagine how my last year in will go. I want to get a jump start on anything I can now because I have seen WAY TOO MANY of my peers get out THEN look for jobs and most end up sitting around collecting unemployment.

I would like to know when I can start applying or when would be the best time? I have 2 CTO's and I truly want to have a job lined up and ready and know where I'll be off to next before this time next year so I'm not out and sitting on my hands. Basic info of me... 25, 2 CTO's willing to work anywhere but my heart is set on Colorado or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. I'm from Wisconsin but want to be near the the mountains.

Thank you in advance to anyone who provides information and has any tips, resume help, or contacts so that I can begin planning for my future in ATC.

ATCMarine84

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Apply now...my hiring process took over a year from application to actually going to the academy(prior-USAF ATC)... if it comes to crunch time you can easily delay the Academy by a few months. Better for you to delay a month or two than get out and wait a few months extra. Do it now IMO. You will need your DD-214 by the time you get your firm offer letter tho.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Thanks a lot for the heads up. I have another buddy who's getting out in 9 months and passed that same info on to him so we'll both be putting in here in the next few weeks. Also, I went to the USAJOBS VRA posts and it says that "must be on terminal leave"... Will that affect me or is there a spot to to put when I'd be available?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
It wont ask you anything until your firm offer letter... everyone applies early because we all know how long the process takes.

zimm1979

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2009
S. Korea
Like ATCMarine84, I too have a year left in the service (USAF). I am currently starting 7level training, but I will not receive the rating until just prior to separation - if I do separate. Would this preclude or make it harder for me to be hired on at a Contract Tower? I am currently at my third tower with five years experience (second tower if you don't count the deployment).

I would like to get on with the FAA, but at the time I start terminal leave I will have seven months until my 32nd Birth day. Any suggestions, or am I stuck only working Contract gigs?

Thanks in advance!!

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
however...when applying for a FCT job don't bother applying a year out, or even 9 months out. wait until ur AT LEAST 3 months or less from either terminal leave or separation (whichever is first).

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Got a question about hiring and Midwest. I applied to Midwest back mid November. I submitted my Application a copy of my CTO and about a week later a copy of my class 2. About a week ago I contacted the ATM of the location in Kansas that I wanted to work at. I haven't heard anything back from them, including a confirmation e-mail that they got my copy of the class 2 medical. Should I e-mail them back letting them know I'm still interested in a job with them. I put my preferred locations as anywhere in Kansas but I also submitted that i'm willing to go anywhere. Is there an accepted procedure when applying to Midwest or should I just wait it out and hope I get picked up?

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Got a question about hiring and Midwest. I applied to Midwest back mid November. I submitted my Application a copy of my CTO and about a week later a copy of my class 2. About a week ago I contacted the ATM of the location in Kansas that I wanted to work at. I haven't heard anything back from them, including a confirmation e-mail that they got my copy of the class 2 medical. Should I e-mail them back letting them know I'm still interested in a job with them. I put my preferred locations as anywhere in Kansas but I also submitted that i'm willing to go anywhere. Is there an accepted procedure when applying to Midwest or should I just wait it out and hope I get picked up?
I would call to make sure they got your paperwork and if they did not fax them in all at the same time.

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
Wolfman are you interested in Serco? They seem way more responsive than Midwest and RVA. They actually show you what is open and you apply. You will get a respose with them as long as you have 6 months experience. That is if you don't mind heading west!

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
however...when applying for a FCT job don't bother applying a year out, or even 9 months out. wait until ur AT LEAST 3 months or less from either terminal leave or separation (whichever is first).
Hey Roddy thanks so much for your help. I got a job offer from Serco. You are the man! Your information is top notch.

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Wolfman are you interested in Serco? They seem way more responsive than Midwest and RVA. They actually show you what is open and you apply. You will get a respose with them as long as you have 6 months experience. That is if you don't mind heading west!

Yeah i don't mind the west coast, I love it over there. I did apply for them as well. I told them I was open to go anywhere, I even applied for various positions that were open on the website. I haven't heard from them either. I have about 4 1/2 hears of control experience and a CTO. I don't know if it's something on my resume or if everyone is having a hiring freeze?

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
That's not really true. I have over 6 months experience. I have applied for places in Az and Ca but never got a call from Serco. Even got a tour of one of their facilities.

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
That's not really true. I have over 6 months experience. I have applied for places in Az and Ca but never got a call from Serco. Even got a tour of one of their facilities.
There is an opening in Goodyear Arizona that has come up on the Serco site. Roddy Piper sent me an example of his resume and that helped me out a lot. There could be something funny on your resume. I only have one year experience, and am in the hiring process with serco.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
That could be it. Is there anyone who would not mind sending me a copy of there resume or let me send them mine so I can get some constructive criticism on it?

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
There is an opening in Goodyear Arizona that has come up on the Serco site. Roddy Piper sent me an example of his resume and that helped me out a lot. There could be something funny on your resume. I only have one year experience, and am in the hiring process with serco.
Durden

Congratulations in your job offer. Do you mind saying to which tower you are going to?

Last edited: