Hiring Questions

minsep

Newcomer
Dec 20, 2009
Hey whats up persons,

Say can anyone give me some info, very new to the site:

I exited the Navy 01NOV09, applied for the VRA announcement in SEP09 via ASAP site and didn't get picked up. I do have a TRACON rating along with a current CTO. When will the next section board be? How would I get referred? Is there a site where someone could review my resume for errors, or maybe beef it up. I NEED A JOB, before I decide to trade the FAA for a one bunk Hilton over in the Afghanistan.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Nothing says you cant go over to Afghan make that (CHEDDAR) while your waiting for your FAA stuff to come through......

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
Durden

Congratulations in your job offer. Do you mind saying to which tower you are going to?
I got San Carlos Tower. The ATM is awesome out there. He seems like he will be a great guy to work for. Jerry seemed very nice too. It seems they both are willing to go above and beyond what they have to for me. Overall great impression of Serco so far.

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks a lot. It is good to know there are good paying ATC jobs out there besides the FAA, and I like that the ATMs have a lot of say about who is hired. I am also excited to be in a tower environment working mostly general aviation. Oh yeah and glad to be out of the Air Force.

zimm1979

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2009
S. Korea
Would someone be able to get hired on if they were washed out of the career field but had a CTO from a previous base? The way I understand it, you did not lose ratings at the previous base. Therefore, you should still be useable on the outside, right?

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
Would someone be able to get hired on if they were washed out of the career field but had a CTO from a previous base? The way I understand it, you did not lose ratings at the previous base. Therefore, you should still be useable on the outside, right?
sure... but I would NOT disclose that you were washed out. Think of something else... say you've been unemployed since then, or you got out so you didn't finish training, etc. I'm pretty sure that if you disclose you were washed out, you won't get hired.

ALPHA_DELTA22

Rookie
Feb 25, 2010
Bermuda Triangle
Hey guys, Im looking to start applying for ATC jobs with FCT'S, and was just wondering if anyone could send me a copy of their resume.I feel mine is a little weak and want to make sure I have a strong resume!
Thanks
AD

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
ATCMARINE84 I retired from the Corps in 2006 and am now working DoD for the USAF, and was fortunate to have this job lined up before I even dropped paper, which in fact is the reason why I did get out when I did, because I was hired. My advice to you is start now!!!! Have a killer resume!!!! Network, Network and Network some more!!! You can apply for a lot of positions about 6 months out, but 120 days is what they say. You have to be on terminal leave to start though. Having 2 CTO's is good, and makes you competitive for contract jobs. Midwest and SERCO are the contractors for Mountain and NW region and if you want a place to start out let me know there is a Marine that I worked with that has a lot to do with hiring and staffing at SERCO. Another thing to remember is that if you want to get on at a particular place ask about part time positions, as some locations have them to fill in shifts and pretty much work full time, and eventually with in a year you will get picked up full time.

aksmall22

Newcomer
Sep 4, 2009
South Korea
Let me know if you need help with your resume, or want to see some good examples as well as bad.....
I'll be retiring from the Air Force in about a year and would like some resume help. I would like to work in a DOD facility but will take what I can get. I have 5 CTO's and 1 RAPC. I hope that's good enough to be considered.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
VM Airboss,

Thanks for information and connection. I still have 8 months til my EAS but I have put in my FAA applications and I have made two referral lists and like you said I have been networking non stop. I make phone calls to keep in touch monthly to the facilities I'd like to work in and I have made some great contacts and have actually made quite a few that are helping me out as you have offered yours. When I get to 6 months out I will for sure be in touch and be looking for resume input. Thanks again.

VectorVoodoo

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2010
Something to note on resumes sent to the contract companies. Your resume is reviewed by controllers, not graded by some resumix system, so don't bother adding in all the fluff about what air traffic controllers do, we already know that. List where you've worked and make sure your resume shows that you can do the job. Familiarity with civil aircraft is a huge plus. I've trained numerous former military controllers in the past few years, and the bigest hangup most of them have is learning civil aircraft and their perfomance characteristics.

I'd be happy to review any resumes and give feedback for improvement. If anyone is interested in working for Serco, please contact me.

Additionally, when following up on your resumes, don't waste your time with emails. Call the company one a week religiously. Be the squeaky wheel. I can provide phone #s for anyone who needs them.

coopfam91

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2008
Honolulu, HI
I can use some help, I retire Oct 31 2010 and am on terminal around Aug 20, 2010. I've applied to RVA, Midwest and SERCO. I've not heard anything yet and I'm in the 4 month window. If some one can review my resume and point me in the right direction I'd appreciate. I'm in Hawaii and would really like the SERCO KOA job, Ive already applied. I've also called Jerry Alverado twice. (his secretary always sends me to voice mail). I wouldn't rule out SERCO San Carlos. I have 2 CTO's and a TRACON rating and have been a continous ATC for almost 20 years.

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
About Serco, Do I have to call the tower specifically that I want to go to. I'm pretty open on where I can go, so that's a lot of towers to call, or there is someone who is in charge of the hiring process that I can call to get my name up there. I have applied online every time there is an opening but still nothing.
Also, I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Midwest. I talked to both their overseas and United States Hiring managers a little over a month ago, but recently I haven't been able to get a hold of them. I called one and his mailbox was full and the other hasn't answered the phone or responded to my e-mail. Does anyone know why? I have been able to get a hold of them in the past but recently, the last 2 weeks or so it seems like they haven't been in the office.

Thanks in advance.

Wolfman21 - I noticed no one has answered you yet, so thought I would try to provide some related info that may, or may not, be helpful. I know it's a very frustrating process to have completed the application process, see those openings listed on company sites and still hear nothing, but it seems lately this experience of getting no response from the contract companies is fairly common.

It's my understanding that with the last round of contract bids, most of the contract companies cut staffing. While I heard one company cut over 30 ATC staff, I believe Serco cut far fewer — but that still leaves several former Serco employees who might be in line for first right of refusal for any openings Serco has. There was an Executive Order issued recently about "Non-displacement of Workers" that suggests the contract companies are supposed to hire from the ranks of those they cut, before opening it to new hirees, but I am not sure how all the details actually play out. For instance, I don't know whether or not this applies only to the specific facility where the cuts were made or if someone cut at one facility has right of first refusal for openings at any of the company's facilities. Also, since this legislation is new I don't know how/if it will actually affect hiring since there seem to be ways to get around it.

Serco does show openings and I've heard there are/were openings in Mid West and RVA, but I also hear things are sort of uncertain right now. The FAA was expected to be taking in a lot of new recruits to fill their staffing shortages and certainly some from the FCT system hoped to go with the FAA, but I also heard the FAA may be taking on part-time retirees to fill some of those shortages, so it's hard to know what and where the needs for ATC staffing will be in the short term. In addition, this last round of bids seemed to be particularly chaotic and confusing for ATCs and contract companies and the "fall out" of changes in contract terms, in re staffing levels, benefits, etc., caused some angst in some places — and the entire contract bid process and announcement was delayed several times so the companies may still be trying to "catch up".

In the contract world of 5 years ago, it seemed the best method for getting hired used to be 1.) apply with the contract company. 2.) send resumes to the facilities you are interested in. 3.) call and/or visit the facilities you are interested in. 4.) Call again in a few months to see if anything has changed. 5.) If you know people who know people at the towers or in the contract companies, get them to put in a good word for you. Different companies handle hiring decisions differently. Some leave much of the decision making to the facility managers while others do all the decisions from their management offices with little or no input from the facilities. And, as mentioned above, I'm not sure how much effect the new "non-displacement of workers" legislation will have on hiring decisions at the facility level now.

Sorry I can't be more directly helpful, but I would say keep politely persevering and good luck!