Hopefully a few simple questions

gwe0510

Newcomer
Dec 5, 2011
Here's the short story. I've been browsing this site for a couple of years now, mostly checking to try and compare others' dates for a general idea as to when I'd be going to class. After waiting for what seemed like forever, I finally have a class date but a few things remain unanswered. Maybe I'll get more information when I receive my welcome packet.

1.) The class length for an applicant that is possibly going on to a center position is 62 days. Does this include any refresher? It feels like it's been forever since I graduated from my university and I'm fearful that I'll fall behind (maybe someone could point out some study material?).

2.) How long do I have, if I pass at the academy, to relocate to my designated position? The information I received says 1 day. Is this correct?

3.) When does pay increase from training pay to the temporary employee pay?

4.) What kind of material do I need to bring with me? I'm assuming a laptop, a notebook, pens, and maybe a straight edge for some map making.

5.) I noticed, when checking the shuttle schedules, that there are shuttles for classes at 0700, 0800, and 1530. How long are classes? Are those times posted for different types of groups attending the academy (tower, ground, center, etc.), or are there different classes that you go to and from like in college?

6.) Lastly, when have most of you received your welcome package? I read that it usually arrives 10 days prior to your class date.

Additional information for whomever cares:
TOL: February 07, 2012
FOL: December 17, 2012
Class Date: January 10, 2013
Center: ZNY

Thanks

*edited formatting and wording for clarity.

islandguy

Nov 9, 2010
Here's the short story. I've been browsing this site for a while now, mostly checking to try and compare others' dates for a general idea as to when I'd be going to class. After searching, a few things remain unanswered. Maybe I'll get more information when I receive my welcome packet.

The class length for an applicant that is possibly going on to a center position is 62 days. Does this include any refresher? It feels like it's been forever since I graduated from my university and I'm fearful that I'll fall behind (maybe someone could point out some study material?).

How long do I have, if I pass at the academy, to relocate to my designated position? The information I received says 1 day. Is this correct?

When does pay increase from training pay to the temporary employee pay?

What kind of material do I need to bring with me? I'm assuming a laptop, a notebook, pens, and maybe a straight edge for some map making.

I noticed, when checking the shuttle schedules, that there are shuttles for classes at 0700, 0800, and 1530. How long are classes? Are those times posted for different types of groups attending the academy (tower, ground, center, etc.), or are there different classes that you go to and from like in college?

Lastly, when have most of you received your welcome package? I read that it usually arrives 10 days prior to your class date.

Additional information for whomever cares:
TOL: February 07, 2012
FOL: December 17, 2012
Class Date: January 10, 2013
Center: ZNY

Thanks

you wonder when your going to class?? well if your class date is 1/10 then youll be going to class on 1/10...

It says you have one day to move... You have one day...

everything else depends on the academy schedule... classes are 8 hours. You dont need to bring anything.

As far as studying, youll have pleeeeeenty of time to learn everything, dont worry about what you forgot. It was probably wrong anyways...

gwe0510

Newcomer
Dec 5, 2011
No, I'm very aware as to when I'm going to class; sorry if my wording suggested otherwise. Thank you for the other answers as well!

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
1. No refresher. But I wouldn't worry about it. You are spoon fed information.

2. 1 day however more can be negotiated. You get 5 days of change of station leave which is generally used after you arrive for house/apartment hunting etc. plus you could negotiated to use leave accrued while at the academy.

3. Once you graduate from the academy you get AG pay since you are going to a center.

4. You assume wrong. You don't need any of that stuff. I would bring a pen and your paperwork and that's all. They will provide the rest including rulers for drawing maps. Laptops aren't needed and I believe they don't let you use ten during class.

5. Shifts are 8.5 hours including your 30 minute lunch.

6. A few weeks before you go I guess. But sometimes only a few days. It depends.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
It's 64 hours for change of station (8 business days) and generally you have to request it in writing.