Horrible time to get hired?

Keeper4560

Rookie
Sep 10, 2011
Akron Ohio
I've just been doing a lo of reading, and searching around, talking to people etc and everybody I have talked to said that now is not a good time, obviously.

I'm almost a junior CTI student and just wondering if anybody has any idea or information regarding waiting.

I've been saying, for myself anyways, at least two years but people have told me a lot more than that.

Can't see myself in another career though...

Thanks.

Alex

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
It's hard to give a timeline from graduation because there's so much variability at this point in terms of if and when you'll even get selected. But if you get selected, you can expect probably 4 months to 3 years between selection and starting in OKC. I would plan on at least, bare minimum, 5 months between graduation and selection as well, but at this point it seems like you'd be lucky to have that happen since CTIs haven't even been considered for selection in over a year. So yeah, it takes a long time. I graduated May 2011, was selected Nov 2011, got my TOL March 2012, and am still sitting around waiting for the OKC call (will be until at least October because of the sequester). So that puts me at 2.5 years between graduation and OKC at minimum, and I'm probably a fairly normal case.

Keeper4560

Rookie
Sep 10, 2011
Akron Ohio
Should I stick to it and wait it out? I will only be 21 upon graduation. Just don't want to change my major I love this stuff haha.

Thanks for the information though I appreciate it.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
You should stick to it and go after it if it's what you really want to do (like it is for most of us on here), but you also have to be realistic and try to come up with plans for while you wait or if it doesn't work out at all. It's a pretty grueling process because there is so much uncertainty. They make you pass a psychological exam when you first get selected, but the funny thing is someone could easily go insane from the waiting and uncertainty that occurs after that.

Keeper4560

Rookie
Sep 10, 2011
Akron Ohio
Thanks for the advice I appreciate. Maybe getting something in the aviation industry while I wait as my degree is in aeronautics. Hurry up and wait! I guess I'll get selected eventually.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Are you able to switch your major to something that applies elsewhere other than ATC and still get CTI via a minor? The way things are looking, I think a backup plan should be mandatory. You can also considering enlisting in ATC, do 6 years where they pay you to train you, get the experience, apply while your still in as VRA (which seems to be much more likely to get selected than CTI recently) and CTI. You'll only be 28/29 after 1 enlistment, so you'll have time.

Last edited:

Keeper4560

Rookie
Sep 10, 2011
Akron Ohio
This is very true and yes I can get a minor in something else related to aviation At kent state and enlisting is a good idea probably a good choice as well

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
I'm in the exact same position as you, Keeper4560. My major is aviation management, though, so I'm planning to be able to work at an airline or airport after graduation. While networking in ATC is virtually useless now, I've networked with airport and airline managers enough to the point where I think I could get a job working for them after college. ATC is my dream job, though I don't expect to be hired until at least 2015.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
When I went to school the hiring outlook was good. I've now been waiting 2 years and haven't heard a thing. Next January I'm going to go back for a bachelors in Management information systems. I have a feeling the day I start school again will be the day I finally get picked up, but oh well. To be honest, if I were you I would change your major. Every year more and more people are being added to the pool and seemingly less and less are being hired. If you like something else in aviation and can change your major then I would. OR upon graduation go right off to dispatch school and get a dispatch license. I wish I would have done that. Last - if you stick through it and end up staying with ATC then do not put any preferences for a state, or put states that you know are hurting for people. That's been my biggest mistake throughout all of this. I put two states that are more difficult to get into. Now you're lucky to get into any place.

Mister_Tower

Rookie
Jan 14, 2012
Utah
You're only 21, so you have plenty of time to get selected post-graduation. In the meantime, be sure that you come up with a back-up plan just in case thing's don't pan out!

tacodude

Newcomer
Oct 29, 2012
I hate to be a buzzkill, but there are only going to be a certain number of vacancies.
Does the CTI schools forcast the number of positions for ATC CTI/ military and only allow that many students to attend? No, they are in it to make money,they would train 100,000 students for the 20,000(total ) or so jobs FAA/contract. So at this point, I would focus on plan B and if the FAA calls re-assess your options at the point.unless you are living you like in your parents basement forever? I dont get it. You must be young, never too late to try something else.im being a realist, I dont think there will many vacancies, if any,for awhile. And unless you have a nice rack or a family upper level management member in the buisness that could get you into the few vacancies that eventually will available I think you are wasting your time. Sorry but it is the truth. The CTI schools should of stopped allow kids to attend a 2-3 years ago. They knew that the door was closing.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
I hate to be a buzzkill, but there are only going to be a certain number of vacancies.
Does the CTI schools forcast the number of positions for ATC CTI/ military and only allow that many students to attend? No, they are in it to make money,they would train 100,000 students for the 20,000(total ) or so jobs FAA/contract. So at this point, I would focus on plan B and if the FAA calls re-assess your options at the point.unless you are living you like in your parents basement forever? I dont get it. You must be young, never too late to try something else.im being a realist, I dont think there will many vacancies, if any,for awhile. And unless you have a nice rack or a family upper level management member in the buisness that could get you into the few vacancies that eventually will available I think you are wasting your time. Sorry but it is the truth. The CTI schools should of stopped allow kids to attend a 2-3 years ago. They knew that the door was closing.

This.

Like I previously mentioned. Go to school for something else or do a double major in ATC and something else. If I would have been smart I would have done that or I would have went straight back to school web I got my CTI degree, by now I would probably be done with a second degree and have a cozy job. Instead I make boxes in a factory all day.

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
if you're only.21 you have plenty of time... I waited almost 4 years. I got picked up OTS at 27 and I went to Oklahoma at 31. I'm now at ZAU. I've been here for almost a year now. it's def a great job and worth the wait. if I were you, i would get a job on a cruise ship or doing something on an island somewhere until you make it in.. you have the rest of your life to work... go have some fun..

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
When I went to school the hiring outlook was good. I've now been waiting 2 years and haven't heard a thing. Next January I'm going to go back for a bachelors in Management information systems. I have a feeling the day I start school again will be the day I finally get picked up, but oh well. To be honest, if I were you I would change your major. Every year more and more people are being added to the pool and seemingly less and less are being hired. If you like something else in aviation and can change your major then I would. OR upon graduation go right off to dispatch school and get a dispatch license. I wish I would have done that. Last - if you stick through it and end up staying with ATC then do not put any preferences for a state, or put states that you know are hurting for people. That's been my biggest mistake throughout all of this. I put two states that are more difficult to get into. Now you're lucky to get into any place.

And this will be the case even more due to future FAA tower closures.

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
Are you able to switch your minor to something that applies elsewhere other than ATC and still get CTI via a minor? The way things are looking, I think a backup plan should be mandatory. You can also considering enlisting in ATC, do 6 years where they pay you to train you, get the experience, apply while your still in as VRA (which seems to be much more likely to get selected than CTI recently) and CTI. You'll only be 28/29 after 1 enlistment, so you'll have time.

This is excellent advice. VRA's are hired by the FAA in greater percentages than CTIs.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
if you're only.21 you have plenty of time... I waited almost 4 years. I got picked up OTS at 27 and I went to Oklahoma at 31. I'm now at ZAU. I've been here for almost a year now. it's def a great job and worth the wait. if I were you, i would get a job on a cruise ship or doing something on an island somewhere until you make it in.. you have the rest of your life to work... go have some fun..
If my math serves me right then that was an 8 year wait?

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but you've gotta really be in Love with ATC to be willing to do that. People get PhD's in that time.
Props to you for sticking out that long. I'm only on a two year wait so far and I'm going back to school in January

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
If my math serves me right then that was an 8 year wait?

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but you've gotta really be in Love with ATC to be willing to do that. People get PhD's in that time.
Props to you for sticking out that long. I'm only on a two year wait so far and I'm going back to school in January

31-27=4

I don't know what kind of math you're doing. Public school in the south I assume?