Housing at Academy

Sep 22, 2015
Can people currently at the academy share some info about where you are staying and what you like/dislike about it? I've heard Kim's is awesome, but I don't really want roommates. IB is the farthest away from the Academy, and the 3 people on here that keep saying how AMAZING it is on every possible thread they can makes me not trust them at all...but the no roommates and free food for less than per diem makes it seem like a good option.

Haven't heard much about other places. Sonesta looked like a winner, but then they charge you tax on the first month you stay there so you end up paying more than the housing per diem. And, Walnut Gardens doesn't have a gym/can't go run in the neighborhood.

:-(

I'm so confused and need to make a decision soon! Any help would be appreciated. I won't have a car so places on the shuttle route or near a stop are really my only options.

Thanks!

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I know you don't trust me lol, but I wouldn't refer someone to a place if I hated it. I've been here at IB for 6 weeks now and I honestly have no complaints. If you have any specific questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.

alpharomeo9911

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Can people currently at the academy share some info about where you are staying and what you like/dislike about it? I've heard Kim's is awesome, but I don't really want roommates. IB is the farthest away from the Academy, and the 3 people on here that keep saying how AMAZING it is on every possible thread they can makes me not trust them at all...but the no roommates and free food for less than per diem makes it seem like a good option.

Haven't heard much about other places. Sonesta looked like a winner, but then they charge you tax on the first month you stay there so you end up paying more than the housing per diem. And, Walnut Gardens doesn't have a gym/can't go run in the neighborhood.

I'm so confused and need to make a decision soon! Any help would be appreciated. I won't have a car so places on the shuttle route or near a stop are really my only options.

Thanks!
You should stay at IB. They are amazing ! I can give you some maps as well if you'd like. Hit me up and I can get you the referral rate too...

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I was at Kim's and my roommates were on the opposite shift from me, so basically other than weekends I had the house to myself. If you can find out where your classmates are staying. Most of my classmates were at IB so all the gatherings were over there, and me being carless meant i spent a lot of money on uber. Otherwise I thought Kim's was awesome and highly recommend them.

cbopes

Rookie
Jul 14, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks!
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I've heard some good things and quite a few bad things about IB, so I was wondering if anyone else stayed at the Anatole or Sonesta and could give some insight about those places? The internet pics look very nice.

sonicapollo

Jun 4, 2009
I stayed at winchester run for rtf Feb of 12. It was cheap and served the purpose. It had some basics for cooking.

c11anderson

May 6, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Seems that half think IB sucks ass and the half think its pretty good. Idk.. But anyway when they say it's furnished, am I going to have to bring some dishes (plates, glasses, etc.) or is it indeed fully furnished?

Aug 10, 2014
IB is fully furnished. Literally all you need is your clothes. The food is decent. The non-renovated rooms are decent, the renovated rooms are quite nice. Would definitely stay there again.

brandmasterrc

Mar 26, 2011
I'm at Sonesta right now. Its pretty good and the rate you get charged is less than the $58.80 so that way with tax it comes out to that exact per diem amount. So where you heard about them charging more I'm not sure. They have hot breakfast every morning and dinner mon-thurs. On the shuttle route and pretty close to the academy if you plan on driving instead of using the shuttle. if you're not worried about free food, I would look into staying at Anatole on MacArthur. I have some friends staying there and those apartments look really nice, because they are fairly new. not to mention it is probably the closest accommodations to the academy. But they are NOT on the shuttle route.

rlxgenerate

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2016
Macon, GA
Here's what I want to understand and hopefully can be...

$58.80 a day * 30 days = $1764

From what I read, pro's to IB are free food (except weekends)...general amenities of an apartment complex w/o the lease of a year...general gathering place for other faa students...furnished

con...far away from academy...expensive...

please list other arguments because ECONOMICALLY...it doesn't make sense to stay somewhere that costs almost DOUBLE my mortgage payment. I just don't see making ~$2700 a month (net) and spending $1764 for housing leaving me with $937 a month to eat extra, gas, saving...

Let me put this into another perspective...IN TOTAL...NET...you should make ~$11,475 while in the FAA Academy...I would everything I can to room with some, save money, live cheap...there's no reason why a frugal person can't walk away from the academy with $5k-$7k...or just someone who can suck it up...especially if you have worry about another rental payment or family back home...

and with what I've heard...I'll pretty much be studying, drawing maps, studying, etc. every free moment I get...so why on earth would I care where I'm at...gather at a starbucks...denny's...wherever...

Anyways...I'm all ears...please convince me...TOL EnRoute Oct 2016...

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Here's the thing. All those places know exactly what the FAA offers for per diem and they charge that much even though they are mostly dumps. If you want to save money then rent a regular apartment, rent basic furniture and you will be way under most FAA places.

rlxgenerate

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2016
Macon, GA
That's pretty much my mindset...I'm glad that this website/forum is around to bounce ideas off of before we all get there. I think I'm going to go with that idea and since I'll be driving, won't be hard to just go over to gather and drive back to wherever to sleep...that's pretty much all I'm looking for...somewhere to sleep and keep clothes...

brucerey43

May 22, 2015
Here's the thing. All those places know exactly what the FAA offers for per diem and they charge that much even though they are mostly dumps. If you want to save money then rent a regular apartment, rent basic furniture and you will be way under most FAA places.
As much as I'm not for roommates I'm doing the $37 day option at Kims. Seems like the best bet to be close to study groups and keep a portion of the per diem.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
I moved from Kim's into IB with another classmate and saved nearly 2 grand in per-diem, was definitely a good move. IB is alright though, not nearly as nice as kim's but it got the job done. The food is alright, its suspicious at times, breakfast is the same thing everyday. I just got sick of it. Overall though I would stay there again if I had to go back to the academy just to pocket that extra money, it's only a temporary place anyway so no big deal.

rlxgenerate

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2016
Macon, GA
As much as I'm not for roommates I'm doing the $37 day option at Kims. Seems like the best bet to be close to study groups and keep a portion of the per diem.
Are you sharing a room? Duplex? 2/3 bed? Do you mind explaining how Kim's is set up? because rooming with classmates, I respect...but spending $1110 a month to sharing a place w/ 1 or 2 people just seems...unreasonable...but again, I understand paying that to house w/ other classmates and study and be close.

MikeKiloRomeo

Feb 28, 2016
All of Kim's are 3 bedroom. You can go on her site and see the breakdown. If you do 3 people in a house with no food pack (i.e. Kim doesn't do your food shopping) it's $39 per day (most cost effective). If you do 3 people plus food pack, it's the full $58.80 (you will still get your food per diem from FAA). If you do 2 people (still a 3 bedroom place) and no food pack, it's still the $58.80. Again, her website makes this clear. I'm sure the other locations' sites break it down for you too.

Seems expensive, but you get a nice fully furnished place that has all supplies (washer/dryer, soap, towels, linen) right there. You could be frugal and rent a cheap place, rent furniture, do coin laundry. I'd rather be near my fellow students and study with them and not drag my sheets to the laundry mat. And when I'm preparing for final evals, I'd rather not think about returning furniture that I rented or whatever. I want to pack up and get to my facility. Places like Kim's and IB take the hassle out of temporary relocation, which is worth it to me. Just my two cents.

I've known multiple people that go to the academy. They've all stayed at Kim's and highly recommend. When you stay there, you become family too, from what I hear. When a new grad was moving and trying to find a place to crash, Kim saw his FB request and knew of a controller at the new grad's facility and set them up. New grad was able to crash at CPC's place for a week or two instead of paying to stay at a hotel.