Housing @ Campground

flyinnc2fl

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2018
Fairfax, VA
Does anyone know of a campground in the area that I could stay at? I have an RV that I was thinking about using as temporary housing so that I don’t have to pay rent. I know most choose to stay at Kim’s place, but it’s more expensive. I wouldn’t mind driving to meet others for study groups. I was thinking a campground I could maximize my per diem as much as possible because I still have a mortgage to pay for during training.

altonb2

Jan 23, 2014
Pensacola, Fl
If i remember corectly if you are staying in a rv park the FAA doesnt give you the normal housing perdiem. If you are worried aboyt paying rent the easiest option would be to let the FAA pay for your lodging, you will still picjet the money for meals at least.

flyinnc2fl

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2018
Fairfax, VA
What is the housing perdiem? I’m not trying to pocket money, I’m just trying to find the best, cheapest option to live while I am out there because I have a lot of other expenses in my life that what little salary we are given will be applied towards. The salary we get while in training won’t even come close to paying my mortgage.

badloss2

Rookie
Aug 10, 2016
If you stay in an RV, you are only paid the housing allowance if you stay in an rv park. If you park if your friends driveway, you will not be paid the allowance and will instead only receive the meal allowance. I think housing allowance is either $57 or $59 per day.

flyinnc2fl

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2018
Fairfax, VA
I definitely intend on staying in an RV park! I need full hook-ups of power, water, and sewer. Some campgrounds run monthly rates around $600-700. I just don't know how the whole housing allowance works yet, and I was curious if any other former students have done this. Looking for recommendations on the best ones in the area.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
I definitely intend on staying in an RV park! I need full hook-ups of power, water, and sewer. Some campgrounds run monthly rates around $600-700. I just don't know how the whole housing allowance works yet, and I was curious if any other former students have done this. Looking for recommendations on the best ones in the area.

Sounds like to me staying at an Rv pearl will cost you more money. If you stay at a park you get no housing perdiem, if you stay at Kim’s place and you let the faa pay you get to stay for “no cost”

badloss2

Rookie
Aug 10, 2016
Sounds like to me staying at an Rv pearl will cost you more money. If you stay at a park you get no housing perdiem, if you stay at Kim’s place and you let the faa pay you get to stay for “no cost”
Actually, you would pocket the difference for the housing allowance. Trust me, i just started at the academy.

MissChief

Rookie
Nov 8, 2016
Interesting idea. I was just out this afternoon at an RV show trying my best to talk my boyfriend out of the idea of purchasing an expensive toy hauler and encouraging him to just rent one when the need arises as I just know it'll just collect dust in my spot of the garage, but I digress..

It looks like there are a few RV parks in the area, as far as Yelp and Google Maps is concerned;
Roadrunner RV Park ("Premium" rates are $600 monthly, 11.2 miles, approx. 16 minutes)
Rockwell RV Park (website not well managed and no rate was listed, 5.7 miles, apron. 11 minutes)
Council Road RV Park (website only allows quotes up to 28 days, 5.6 miles, approx. 13 minutes)
Mustang Run RV Park ($650 monthly, 11 miles, approx. 17 minutes)
**There are also several more options further out, depending on how far you're willing to commute.

I would clear it with HR to make sure you're getting the same per diem as everyone else, but otherwise I think it's a great idea even if it's not my cup of tea. Keep me updated with how things go. :)