Houston Center - ZHU

A

Adam

Re: Lawn Gnome - IAH Center

Yeah, I work in Houston...ask away. I know controllers at every facility in Houston as well...you can PM me as well if you need to.

jhopman

Rookie
Dec 12, 2008
Anybody work here? Curious to know what the shifts are, training backed up, average from academy to fully cert'd at ZHU, decent places around Houston to live, places to avoid, etc.. lol
I just got 'considered' for ZHU as well and wondering the same thing....

ACBerry

Newcomer
Mar 18, 2009
Houston
Do you know when I should expect to see the ZHU welcome packet? I've received nothing and am due to go to OKC training in 1 week. I've already received the academy packet.

Svirf

Newcomer
Aug 20, 2008
Just got to zhu ots about 2 months ago and would not mind answering any questions....just saw this post and am about to call it a night. Will try to check in and see what information I can mislead you with in the morning.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Looks like I (and RdRunner12, and probably others) will be interviewing in Houston, since we're taking the traditional route. Absent input from any actual Houston ARTCC controllers -- as usual, we're lopsided in favor of applicants here -- we'll drop a line here afterwards to let y'all know what your boss is gonna be like.
Yup, I'll be there at some point...Hopefully really soon. That's quite a welcome packet that NATCA put out for ZHU. I wish my center had something like that.

Anyone have any messages you'd like Rossta and I to forward on to your future leaders?

Singingastro

Trusted Member
May 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Yup, I'll be there at some point...Hopefully really soon. That's quite a welcome packet that NATCA put out for ZHU. I wish my center had something like that.

Anyone have any messages you'd like Rossta and I to forward on to your future leaders?
i want to go on a tour of this facility. should i wait until my interview or go ahead and set it up now?

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
Im just waiting for a school date at this point and then ill be enroute to ZHU. Like everyone else I'm waiting on a medical clearance. A friend of mine just got his clearance last week. He took his psych eval a month before I did so my guess is two months for results. The NATCA welcome package was very helpful. Is there any other information that would be helpful for someone with a family?

Last edited:

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
Good news everyone. I received a phone call this morning about my medical clearance. Apparently they fixed whatever problem they had and she said they should be all up to date by the end of the week.

ned_pepper

Rookie
May 24, 2009
i want to go on a tour of this facility. should i wait until my interview or go ahead and set it up now?
I called Chris Parris the NATCA rep at the facility wednesday. I took my tour thursday. It was great I got to meet everyone, and ironically the coordinators and controllers were more than will to share knowledge about their job. Which wasnt what I expected. Usually when people have a job that makes over 100k a year. They try portray their job as so complicated that you couldnt possibly understand it by just watching them. I strongly recommend getting a tour. I went onto the floor and it was nothing like I suspected at all. It was more like a call center in terms of atmosphere. People didnt look stressed at all. I felt like I could actually work there.

Dash_7

Rookie
May 18, 2009
I called Chris Parris the NATCA rep at the facility wednesday. I took my tour thursday. It was great I got to meet everyone, and ironically the coordinators and controllers were more than will to share knowledge about their job. Which wasnt what I expected. Usually when people have a job that makes over 100k a year. They try portray their job as so complicated that you couldnt possibly understand it by just watching them. I strongly recommend getting a tour. I went onto the floor and it was nothing like I suspected at all. It was more like a call center in terms of atmosphere. People didnt look stressed at all. I felt like I could actually work there.
Sounds cool!