Houston Center - ZHU

dbh

Newcomer
Sep 21, 2014
I'm a recent enroute hire anticipating school in Oklahoma next summer.
Does anyone now if ZHU still does tours?
I was invited to one... 10 years ago maybe?

LOLtex

May 31, 2015
I'm a recent enroute hire anticipating school in Oklahoma next summer.
Does anyone now if ZHU still does tours?
I was invited to one... 10 years ago maybe?
They do, I just took one not that long ago after I had my mmpi2.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
Great collaboration between NATCA and management on that one. I really like the fact that the deputy ATM has so much experience.... With Flight Service Stations...

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

robeeen

Newcomer
Dec 20, 2011
SCT
I'm contemplating transferring to Houston. I can't decide whether to try for Houston ARTCC or tracon. Anybody familiar with both? I've worked at ZDV and SCT and like both environments. Any advice would be appreciated!

AviatorATC

Oct 12, 2011
TX
Is training backed up? If so, how long before a developmental would start stage 3?
Ive been here since late April and will begin stage 3 simulations next month. There are quite a few people behind me who are looking at 12-18 month wait times. We currently have over 100 developmentals in the building.

phrenetik

Nov 7, 2016
forgive me for I am a noob. I am only at the status of a TOL right now....but I currently live in Houston and it would be my dream to not have to leave Texas. I gladly will transfer as needed whereever I get assigned....but is there a semi decent shot of me getting to stay here after hopefully graduating the academy? I don't imagine Houston being a place a lot of graduates would be eager to pick but maybe I am naive.

I really hate the west and east coast lol.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Between locality, cost of living, and no state income tax, Houston is one of the most desirable areas in the FAA. ZHU currently has 100+ trainees. If ZHU is on an academy list, chances are it could be a single slot and I'd imagine you'd have to finish at the top of your class to get a chance at it. Check closer to the time you get an academy date for a better estimate.

Sierra Kilo

Dec 29, 2016
Between locality and cost of living, Houston is one of the most desirable areas in the FAA. ZHU currently has 100+ trainees. If ZHU is on an academy list, chances are it could be a single slot and I'd imagine you'd have to finish at the top of your class to get a chance at it. Check closer to the time you get an academy date for a better estimate.
On the last Enroute Placement List, only 3 of the 40 slots reserved for academy grads were for ZHU. It's currently staffed slightly higher than the national average. But like SayAgain3 said, the staffing is going to be different everywhere by the time you're graduating the academy.

shaewrightt

Rookie
Aug 29, 2016
On the last Enroute Placement List, only 3 of the 40 slots reserved for academy grads were for ZHU. It's currently staffed slightly higher than the national average. But like SayAgain3 said, the staffing is going to be different everywhere by the time you're graduating the academy.
do you know if it's possible to get houston centers for terminal grads????

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
do you know if it's possible to get houston centers for terminal grads????
If you graduate the academy everything you'll have trained for will be Terminal and your list will only be terminal.... They will not give you center options.... This is pretty obvious, but apparently not...

shaewrightt

Rookie
Aug 29, 2016
If you graduate the academy everything you'll have trained for will be Terminal and your list will only be terminal.... They will not give you center options.... This is pretty obvious, but apparently not...
i said houston centers, meaning houston towers/ airports. i should have worded it differently bc i can see the misinterpretation.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
i said houston centers, meaning houston towers/ airports. i should have worded it differently bc i can see the misinterpretation.
Ahhhhh gotcha. Yeah though, definitely possible to get smaller level towers in the Houston area, you never know with the academy list. Good thing is now they give a heck of a lot more options to the academy grads then they did a year ago. When're you headed to OKC? You need a crystal ball "literally" to try and predict what the academy list will be. The only way to somewhat gauge what your list will be is when the very next class infront of you gets their list. From now until then staffing changes, people quit/retire, numbers change, etc.

Last edited:

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
If you're terminal, DWH is the only airport in the Houston area you could potentially get coming out of the academy