Houston Center - ZHU

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
So everything on my end is complete. Surprisingly even my security clearance is in. So I called to see if I could get a estimated class date and my HR rep said they wont get a schedule for October until the middle of September. And even then it's not first come first serve. It's whatever facility puts in for priority staffing. Lets hope that ZHU needs us pretty quick.

Singingastro

Trusted Member
May 25, 2009
Houston, TX
So everything on my end is complete. Surprisingly even my security clearance is in. So I called to see if I could get a estimated class date and my HR rep said they wont get a schedule for October until the middle of September. And even then it's not first come first serve. It's whatever facility puts in for priority staffing. Lets hope that ZHU needs us pretty quick.
thats what im hoping for as well. lets keep our fingers crossed

ChrisDTC

Nov 19, 2008
Texas on my mind
Im only on PUBNAT7 but Im hoping for Houston Center. I know a controller that recently retired from there, so we'll see if that can help me out at all.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
There is a link on this website that will tell you what facility is at what capacity in regards to manning levels. That will give you a idea of what chances you have at this facility. It says ZHU is at 92% but I requested DFW and they said Houston needed people bad. I don't think it takes into account the people ready to retire..... Maybe the guy you know retiring will help you out. Good luck!

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I just interviewed at ZHU. Everyone there was really nice and it seemed like a really good atmosphere to work in. New Orleans sector had mardi gras beads everywhere. I even had a worker flash me back there....It was great!

Lewis07

Newcomer
Jan 15, 2009
I am considering ZHU but I heard that the training there is really bad and a lot of people dont check out. If someone could give me any info on the this I would appreciate it.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
Don't believe everything you hear about the training there. Every facility is going to have those people who just cant do the job. If you have any type of experience or common sense you'll be fine.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
I talked to my HR rep yesterday and she told me that the 2010 class schedule came out on thursday and all their waiting for is the list of facilities who are in need of trainees. She said she has worked there for four years and the list always comes out in August. We should have our class dates by the end of that month if we are going to be in the Fall and Winter classes. So she says.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
It's hit or miss anywhere you go. A lot of it has to do with how you get along with the people you work with too. At what center did you work? ZHU?

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
The class dates for next year just came out and are in the forums section of stuck mic. I hope we all get the classes we want. Do any of you know if montgomery Tx is a good place to live? If not, is sugar land too far to live?

Singingastro

Trusted Member
May 25, 2009
Houston, TX
haha yeah screw those exhaust fumes. i hate sitting in houston traffic. but it sounds like the shifts that I have heard about won't be during rush hour which is amazing.
MYKLE, i would not recommend sugarland nor montgomery to live in due to the distance that rosstafari mentioned. I live in the woodlands and with no traffic its like 25-30 minutes to IAH airport. Conroe is about 10-15 milers north of the woodlands. Spring is just south, which would be a good option. The housing is much cheaper in spring as opposed to the woodlands. Let me know if you need any other recommendations.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
I just talked to my our HR rep and she told me they are just finishing up the schedule for next year and we will have class dates by the middle of next month. The only part that sucks is she told me there are people who have been waiting since july of last year!

CountryBumkin

Rookie
Apr 5, 2009
Kingwood, Texas
I just talked to my our HR rep and she told me they are just finishing up the schedule for next year and we will have class dates by the middle of next month. The only part that sucks is she told me there are people who have been waiting since july of last year!
You talked to Charlene? I have been trying to get in touch with her for a week. I have a question/concern and I have no idea who to ask or get in touch with.

So we will know our class dates by the middle of next month??? LOL! I will believe it when I have my FOL in hand. Ahhh....there is always hope though to keep us going. :p

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
I have been trying to reach her for the last week as well. She finally answered her phone this morning though. I had many questions too and she didn't answer any of them. Just said the same thing over and over. "I wont know anything until the middle of next month." If you email her you might get a response. She won't even give you a idea of what you can expect.

MYKLE

Rookie
Jun 8, 2009
Does anybody here work at ZHU? How long does it take to get checked out there, and how long before you actually get to work traffic?

ChrisDTC

Nov 19, 2008
Texas on my mind
Is someone on here a trainee (and tour guide) named Brook, or does anyone know of him? I just wanted to thank him for showing me around the center last week and to let him know that the next day the GeoPref email came out and I put in hoping for ZHU.

Singingastro

Trusted Member
May 25, 2009
Houston, TX
She really isnt helpfull at all. From my experience at least.
Charlene to me has been SUCH a big help. You have to understand that she stays super busy, especially now. Try emailing her if you haven't already. She is usually fairly quick about responding back.

Also, I am taking my tour of ZHU next Thursday from 1-3 PM. CAN"T WAIT!!!!