Houston TRACON - I90

AlphaBravo

Newcomer
Dec 7, 2008
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone had any information about Houston TRACON. I've been on the phone with ACD and I believe, unless things will change, that I will get a TOL for Houston TRACON. I was just wondering if anyone here is currently working at that facility or maybe any POC's that I can talk to to set up a tour of the facility.

JKeane

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2009
Houston
Re: Houston TRACON: I90

Hey I'm at Sugar Land Airport right now (PA) and I've had my interview with Caroline Carrie. How long until I hear about my class date? Anyone have some kind of time frame? I've been trying to call OKC but it seems no one likes to answer their phone there.

Thanks guys.

completelydeck

Newcomer
Mar 17, 2009

I was wondering if any I90 controllers could tell me why the ceiling was raised to 16,000?

Also, how do you guys feel of the new RNAV STARs/SIDs?

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas

I asked today what it stood for and can't remember because thats how good of an idea this program is.

Something that was designed 9 years ago that is just now being put in place. It sucks and all it does is delay the pilots.

Butters Stotch

Newcomer
Mar 19, 2009

Hey I'm at Sugar Land Airport right now (PA) and I've had my interview with Caroline Carrie. How long until I hear about my class date? Anyone have some kind of time frame? I've been trying to call OKC but it seems no one likes to answer their phone there.

Thanks guys.
I had my interview last May I believe it was and finally got a class date of August 22. You're not alone in dealing with OKC HR. No one gets anyone to answer the phone there unfortunately.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
i know this is old but to keep from making another thread...

anyone else from the april panels (PUB5,6, and whatever else was there) get I90? I havent rec'd a TOL yet but was told by EM in OKC thats where i'm headed...pretty excited

i know of one other person, another instructor where i fly thats probly going there as well...and i heard that they hired 12

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA

Consider me ignorant but I don't have a clue what HATS 3b is. :confused:

I started a few months before they implemented the changes. I don't know what the acronym stands for, and I don't know why they went up to 16,000 feet. The highest anyone comes into our airspace is 14,000, which is another problem altogether. Depending on the flow into IAH, the planes are coming in too high and too fast. If the finals are busy, we end up having to vector everyone away from the airport just so they have time to slow down. Not fun when you're getting planes back to back from the center...

oldskoolxr

Newcomer
Jul 27, 2009
i work at a level 8 up down and am looking to bid on HOU in the next year, what is there staffing like? Is there scheduled OT? Rouhly how long does it take a previously certified controller from a lower level to certify? Do you still have military training traffic? Thanks for any answers

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
The plan is to build a new tracon on Greens Rd. They haven't broken ground yet, even though the airport has plans to build a new parking garage in 2-3 years where the old tower is currently.

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
i work at a level 8 up down and am looking to bid on HOU in the next year, what is there staffing like? Is there scheduled OT? Rouhly how long does it take a previously certified controller from a lower level to certify? Do you still have military training traffic? Thanks for any answers
HOU is Hobby tower, so I have no idea. If you mean I90, we are understaffed. I'm only checked out on data/clearance delivery so far and I've worked overtime 4 times in the last few months. Everyone else with more positions is pretty much on a 6 day work week. Certification wise.... 1.5-2 years (minimum) with experience from what I've seen. There's still military traffic into Ellington Field. I've seen some formation flights and SFOs, but I don't work EFD traffic that often.

oldskoolxr

Newcomer
Jul 27, 2009
i do mean I90, thanks for the info spacee. Every facility has its bad apples, but how are the people and managment. I have a friend thats going to A80 and its the same situation, half the reason it takes you so long to check out is the fact your being used for staffing. I ran into that somewhat at mobile even. Thanks again