Houston TRACON - I90

oldskoolxr

Newcomer
Jul 27, 2009
also whats the trainging program like, do you do simulators for the first three months or what? Whats a decent area to live in. I've heard good and bad about humble.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
Anyone know how many people I90 selected this panel and how bad is the staffing there? Thanks...
they are super short on staffing, everyone that is CPC or checked out on anything (including CD) is supposedly working six days a week. but i've heard they have quite a few (30 or more) already training there.

its way too early to tell...but from what i've heard (from the ATM) is that they did alot of hiring from the previous panels and that there arent many slots available...

i have a TOL for I90 and i attribute that 100% to talking with the ATM there. And i'm hoping that it worked for my wife as well (who is part of PUB7) though he did say it would be hard to find a spot for her.

good luck!

CAZ

Jun 18, 2008
Planet Earth
they are super short on staffing, everyone that is CPC or checked out on anything (including CD) is supposedly working six days a week. but i've heard they have quite a few (30 or more) already training there.

its way too early to tell...but from what i've heard (from the ATM) is that they did alot of hiring from the previous panels and that there arent many slots available...

i have a TOL for I90 and i attribute that 100% to talking with the ATM there. And i'm hoping that it worked for my wife as well (who is part of PUB7) though he did say it would be hard to find a spot for her.

good luck!
Thanks for the info. Best of luck to ya...

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
i do mean I90, thanks for the info spacee. Every facility has its bad apples, but how are the people and management. I have a friend thats going to A80 and its the same situation, half the reason it takes you so long to check out is the fact your being used for staffing. I ran into that somewhat at mobile even. Thanks again
I'm really happy at I90. If you're coming to I90 soon though, we have about 25-30 people training. About 10-15 just got here in the last couple of months, so the training department is backed up pretty badly. They have the same number of staff in the training department that they had last year, but the amount of people in training has tripled... yeah, I dunno what they were thinking... :confused:

RyanSmithm3

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2009
ok i graduate December 1st. I scored well qual on my atsat and i want i90 what are my chances that within 12 months i90 will have slots open again for a cti grad...also if i put texas and arizona as my states with my high score does that help me get a traccon or tower. lastly, how far does a word go in the facility i know a manager at anchorage center that knows a guy at i90.

mjr512

Newcomer
Sep 25, 2008
Hey guys, I'm out in Spring working for Union Pacific doing the train control gig. My VRA, CTO and OTS apps have been in for about a year. The VRA app has been considered twice but I haven't been pulled. I have good experiance in the military and overseas contract. Do any of you guys know how the manning is looking around the Houston area?

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
ok i graduate December 1st. I scored well qual on my atsat and i want i90 what are my chances that within 12 months i90 will have slots open again for a cti grad...also if i put texas and arizona as my states with my high score does that help me get a tracon or tower. lastly, how far does a word go in the facility i know a manager at anchorage center that knows a guy at i90.
This is really late but your best bet is to get into contact with Greg Motl (the I90 manager). Hiring has slowed down lately, but we are still short staffed. I don't think your score affects where you go, just how soon you get picked up. There's no telling where you will go unless you try to influence it by contacting specific facilities and convincing them to pick you.

HOU, DWH, and IAH towers are fully staffed. I90 is around 65-70% staffed, not sure about ZHU but they keep hiring.

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
yeah which is what sucks. we're just as busy as other level 12's yet stuck at 11. lame.

but, i'm glad i deal with new orleans approach and not you guys....

What are you talking about? We are awesome! I like some of you center peeps too... there is just so much disconnect between center an approach. Some controllers (on both sides) are bitter and not willing to work with each other... so we all get a bad rep.

Procedural wise, we have very little say in anything. If you ever ask why a dumb procedure is the way it is, the only answer we get is "This is what THEY wanted" but no one ever explains who THEY is...

beezee

Rookie
Dec 9, 2009
an I90 supervisor named scott is the one that always gets mad at us

i hope you aren't him. lol

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
so much disconnect ??? not what i hear at the center. i hear you guys are assholes. if one guys looks like he's not doing 250 at the boundary you want us to spin him. like i said, glad i don't work in lufkin and i work with MSY approach - they can handle whatever. granted there's old bastards in both areas that are so set in their ways and just bitter.
I don't work Lufkin either, I work the B sector (Daisetta, Trios, Gulf, Freeport). All our arrivals come in at 280 or slowing to 280. The only time I won't take a handoff is if you're setting me up for a deal... or if you try to hand off a plane 10,000 feet too high. It's sad when a center sector gives me a plane that I have to point out to the next center sector because they're still not in our airspace yet... The more we try to help out the center, the more we get burned.

Example - Bolos sector apreqs a plane direct DOCCC to join the Columbia1, I say approved. Plane comes in at 22,000 descending instead of level at 12,000 at the boundary... I didn't delete the freaking altitude restriction! Now I have to dive beneath and miss a bunch of departures climbing to 16,000 cause I was nice and didn't make the center spin him. Now I'm busting my ass, South departures airspace, and risking my ticket to help out someone who didn't follow the procedure.... NOT worth it

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
an I90 supervisor named scott is the one that always gets mad at us

i hope you aren't him. lol
Ha, no I am not him, or a him for that matter. He does have longer hair then me though... He's big on following the procedures and for good reason. He's close to retirement and is done taking crap. The longer you work, the more you get screwed over. Then you learn and don't take it anymore.

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
so much disconnect ??? not what i hear at the center. i hear you guys are assholes. if one guys looks like he's not doing 250 at the boundary you want us to spin him. like i said, glad i don't work in lufkin and i work with MSY approach - they can handle whatever. granted there's old bastards in both areas that are so set in their ways and just bitter.
Lufkin/Gomer is the sector that keeps calling deviations on Departure north for not clearing planes to join the departure. One controller realized right after he switched the plane to center that he hadn't cleared him to a fix (he was on tower assigned heading which was only a few degrees off the departure). He called the center immediately after, plane still in our approach airspace... the center controller said he knew and then filed a deviation on him. That's a asshole.... don't you think?

bitikofer72

Newcomer
Oct 6, 2011
I'm a pilot...not sure if i belong here but GOD am i frustrated with houston approach. I've worked out of most other major hubs, flying turboprops based at national, boston, philly, and lagarbage...and never seen anything quite like this. I'm in a King Air 350, I go 250 under 10,000 just like everyone, but i can't even stand blue bell ice cream after flying that arrival! fly heading 160 after sunday? sure...then down to 3,000, fly heading 270 for 40 miles, then 160 down to freeport, then 090 over to somewhere over the gulf, back north to hobby, over to tower on a visual approach where theres NO DAMN TRAFFIC!!!! My Lord! I just made 10 people sick, and cost the boss another $1,000 operating costs for that 30 minute tour!

Here's what i need to know...will vfr help? file another arrival? What? i want to be sequenced with everyone else into hobby! Under 10, we're all the same! why can't i be just put in with the jets? I'm going to call and get a tour of the facility so that maybe someone can help me understand.

bitikofer72

Newcomer
Oct 6, 2011
oh and i forgot to mention the additional sport of missing small airplanes when i'm forced to descend to 3,000 50 miles from my destination. without tcas...single pilot...

bitikofer72

Newcomer
Oct 6, 2011
and then to add insult to injury, i get switched over to tower where they tell me "reduce speed as much as practical...traffic is a jet 3 miles in front of you showing 50 knots slower". I almost cussed...

Spacee

Rookie
Oct 15, 2008
Warrenton, VA
and then to add insult to injury, i get switched over to tower where they tell me "reduce speed as much as practical...traffic is a jet 3 miles in front of you showing 50 knots slower". I almost cussed...

I don't work the west arrivals, but I have an idea of what you are talking about. I don't know about the 270 heading, but they take the jets southeast bound on the Texan arrival towards Sugarland and put them on a right base (if we're landing 12R at Hobby). Coming in on the Bluebell, all props and turbo props get stuck with the satellite controller. They only have surface to 7,000 MSL. This quickly changes to surface to 5,000. Closer to Hobby they only own 3,000, so that's why you get stuck down so low. It might be easier to fly in VFR to get a more direct routing, but once you get close you'll still need Bravo clearance and need to be sequenced anyways.

The facility does tours all the time, so you can call and request a tour. I think the only requirement is that you be a US citizen and bring an ID. The front desk number is 281-230-8400. Cathy should have more info for you.