How Bad Are the Winters?

fos

Rookie
Nov 8, 2017
Floridian here, worried about my small Front wheel drive car not being suitable for the snow.

Is the winter harsh enough to need an SUV or?

Thanks

ClearanceClarence

Trusted Contributor
May 24, 2014
I'm assuming you are asking about OKC. While I'm not a resident, I have attended multiple classes there, all somehow having been in winter. It's not going to ever get a blizzard, but it does snow. Also being a milder location, it can definitely sleet/ice as the temperature flirts around the freezing mark. It's nothing that will debilitate you, though. If you're that worried about it, stay somewhere where the FAA shuttle services. That way you not only don't have to worry about driving in any inclement weather, you are excused if you end up late for any classes.

Bottom line is, don't lose sleep over it.

undsioux

Rookie
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with what he said, front wheel drive is also better in wintry conditions than a rear wheel drive car. If it gets bad enough they will close down for the day or have a late start depending on when it snows/ices.

Papa_Yankme

Sep 17, 2013
Ya used to live in Oklahoma myself, and only ever had a honda accord. It will be fine. except for the ice storms, but then no amount of 4wd will save you.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Native okie here, heavy snow is somewhat rare, sleet and freezing rain is much more common. The city basically shuts down for 2 inches of snow or any type of relevant freezing precip

What you really need to worry about is the panicked okc drivers in inclement weather, not the weather itself.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I had no problems with my Ford Focus in OKC. I come from the Chicago area so I've driven plenty when there's snow on the ground. My two roommates from ATL didn't fare as well