How does one go about getting a DoD appointment at a military facility

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
Just curious as to how someone would get a job at a DoD facility normally, like I know at ours your pretty much have to known someone there to get hired on, but this is the only facility I've ever been to so I dont know if they are all like that. I'm a military controller here slated to go on terminal leave in 3-4 months, I'm moving to Destin FL then and I would like to see about getting hired on at any of the DoD facilities in the area, Eglin AFB, Tyndall AFB, NAS Pensacola ect... also does anyone know which company does the contract for DTS "I believe it's DTS" the airport in Destin.

RollTide

Aug 12, 2009
Arizona
I currently work for the DoD, but looks like I am headed for the FAA soon. I feel your best shot at a DoD job is most likely the facility your in as a soldier, that is how I got my job. You have to hope for an opening and be on good standing of course. Other than that, in many cases knowing someone is obviously going to be your best shot, but from my experience where I am now, we have had more hires than people we know, so there have been people hired that none of us knew. Anyway, keep applying and make a phone call after your resume is picked up to show your interest, good luck...

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Again, make sure that wherever you are applying at, you have a killer resume, that is accurate, detailed, well written and reads well as far as spelling and grammar. Make sure to hit on the key words in the announcement so that the automated systems will pick your resume out for further review.
The contractor in the SE for the majority of the towers is RVA, but for some reason I am thinking Destin is run by the city, I will check and find out, but you can also go to the FAA site under contract towers for a list. However, if you don't have a CTO none of the contract towers will touch you, so do whatever you need to do to get one where you are at before you get out..

VAFinest24

Newcomer
Jul 14, 2008
Fayetteville, NC
I just separated from the military and was stationed at Hurlburt Field, FL near Destin and it is ran by the city. Rumor for the last couple of years is they are trying to make it a FFA ran facility but like I said that has been a rumor for the last five years at least. I have been in the area since 2005.

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for the info, I have a CTO, I wouldn't mind going contract tower, but I just really wanted something near the ft. walton, destin, pensacola area. Alas the area from what I understand is mostly DoD aside from PNS "I think its PNS" and P31.... I dont know, I'm going to keep my eyes open and see if I can work in somewhere. I know that where I'm at you pretty much have to know someone to get in, but if theres anybody around the florida panhandle area give me a shout.

Tango_Charlie

Rookie
Aug 13, 2008
Florida
I am currently stationed at Eglin down in the radar facility. We just got hit really hard with deployments/sep/pcs... etc. Rumor floating around for more civilian hires in the next few years, and not just a few. I think after all is said and done, we will be 3 people above emergency manning levels with only three prior rated bodies inbound through Oct. I would recommend giving them a shout if you are interested. At least you can figure out if they are actually going to do the hiring and get your name on their radar. Send a PM if you want the number to the facility. Cheers