How Early Out to Apply?

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I am considering all three of the big Contract Tower companies, Midwest, Serco, and VRA. I would prefer Midwest since their airports are generally in the midwest and a few southern states, but will take anything I'm able to get.

I'm currently in the Navy, my EAOS is in October, I have 2 CTO's and am curious on when and how I should apply to these places. I see that Midwest has an application form you can fill out, whereas Serco and VRA actually post current listings. If I'm going to start my terminal leave in late September, when should I apply to these places?

Also, should I just fax my resume in? Email? Should I follow up and call them? I may have a small amount of connections, I know two guys from the Navy who work/worked at Contract Towers, will talking with them benefit me in the hiring process at all?

Thanks in advance!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
RVA*

And from what I've gathered apply no earlier than a month before you'd be able to start. They're looking to staff places and can't afford to wait around for someone to get out of the military.

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC
30-45 days out from first day being available...When I got hired by Midwest, they just said email them back when I was available within 30 days and I was working soon after those 30 days were up.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
Is the interview process by midwest fairly easy? Pretty sure most people told me it's just a general phone interview.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
When I got hired by Midwest I didn't even have an interview. Sent my resume in and a week or so later they called with an offer.

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC
Ha...interview? My experience was the same as Ram_Tough. Most of the time they just want to know your qualifications which should be in your resume and after they see that, they usually just offer you a position. A lot of these contracting companies just want to fill a position and only really care about interviews if you're applying for management positions.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
When I got hired by Midwest I didn't even have an interview. Sent my resume in and a week or so later they called with an offer.
So how does the location process work? Do they just call up and say, "Hey, we have an opening at this tower, do you want it?" And you just take it because that's all that is available?

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
That's pretty much how it was. He gave me two choices and the weekend to think about it. Called him back on Monday, and was working about 2-3 weeks later. I could have started earlier but had some commitments where I was for a few more weeks. I think your OJTI period is more of your interview, and a better one than the district manager, who you will more than likely never meet, can do over the phone in a few minutes.