How Many of You Are Pro Pilots Looking to Apply for the OTS Bid?

Pilot505

Newcomer
Jan 13, 2014
GA
Hey guys and gals. I was just curious as to how many of you on here are proffessional pilots, CFIs looking to apply for the OTS bid in February? Also, are experienced pilots generally successful through the academy and post academy training?

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
Being a pilot and being a controller are 2 different worlds. Being a pilot in no way equals success as a controller. It does give you a bit of advantage in the beginning knowing navaids, aircraft characteristics, etc.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
I will add though, as someone who got their PPL after 2 CTO's, being a pilot taught me that contrary to what my OJTI's told me, airplanes are not magnets for each other and they don't magically crash into each other because you used improper phraseology. Learning the other side of the mic made me chill out.

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
yeah having flight experience probably helps you give some more realistic vectors too compared to someone who has no idea what it's like.

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
I don't think the aviation knowledge will particularly help -- you'll just be that more bored going over it in the classroom. Anecdotally though, based on the handful of professional pilots I've OJT'd over the years, I'd say the visual scan, situational awareness and assertiveness abilities that you needed to get your instrument rating and pass your checkrides is a good indicator you'd probably do well in training. They're the same core skills in controlling. The FAA probably has studies on it you might look for, since they've been researching that kind of thing for years.

yeah having flight experience probably helps you give some more realistic vectors too compared to someone who has no idea what it's like.
Huh?

Ummm... I'm kind of new here, but is it normal on this board for kids with no ATC experience to try to answer people's questions about ATC?

sdcfan

Rookie
Sep 13, 2009
For what its worth a buddy of mine I went to school with was a Mesa pilot who passed the academy right before it shut down and is currently in training at ZLA. Two of my other friends from school failed the academy and they had zero flight experience and one of them even had a masters degree. Had another friend with zero flight experience and only an associates degree pass the academy. We've all heard the adage "you've either got it or you don't." This is a small sample size but I think there's a lot of truth to the saying.

Reactions: jonieison

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Some pilots make it, and some pilots don't. I frankly know a lot of pilots who are applying on the next bid.
A lot of pilots at my work are applying as well, as well as mechanics, and regular office people.

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
I don't think the aviation knowledge will particularly help -- you'll just be that more bored going over it in the classroom. Anecdotally though, based on the handful of professional pilots I've OJT'd over the years, I'd say the visual scan, situational awareness and assertiveness abilities that you needed to get your instrument rating and pass your checkrides is a good indicator you'd probably do well in training. They're the same core skills in controlling. The FAA probably has studies on it you might look for, since they've been researching that kind of thing for years.

Huh?

Ummm... I'm kind of new here, but is it normal on this board for kids with no ATC experience to try to answer people's questions about ATC?

Well I have 6 years ATC experience and counting thanks. But what I meant is I have seen new controllers/trainees expect aircraft to turn on a dime and don't account for turning radius' while vectoring, or they try to PTAC a 737 at the same spot they would a C172. The 2 other trainee controller's I've worked with who had flight experience were much better with understanding the different flight characteristics then the ones who didn't know jack about planes. On a side note, 1 washed and one got rated. Ironically, the one who washed got accepted into OCS and is now a backseater in an F15.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Well I have 6 years ATC experience and counting thanks. But what I meant is I have seen new controllers/trainees expect aircraft to turn on a dime and don't account for turning radius' while vectoring, or they try to PTAC a 737 at the same spot they would a C172. The 2 other trainee controller's I've worked with who had flight experience were much better with understanding the different flight characteristics then the ones who didn't know jack about planes. On a side note, 1 washed and one got rated. Ironically, the one who washed got accepted into OCS and is now a backseater in an F15.
I think most of us understand a C172 will be slower than an ATR72 or SAAB2000

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
Okay, well, you said "realistic vectors" which made me think you're one of those VATSIM people. I take it back and wish you luck in your training.

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
I think most of us understand a C172 will be slower than an ATR72 or SAAB2000
Not when you're dealing with the military who just assigns random people ATC and they expect to be the guy with the cones right up to the first day of tech school.

Jetstink

Rookie
Aug 21, 2009
Its called correlation of learning. the experiences on the other side of the mic are gonna make things click faster upstairs. Doesnt mean mistakes wont be made but I've got 5000 hrs other side of the mic. Didnt know what the hell gate hold procedures were, or metering or a dozen other everyday things the airlines deal with that they dont teach you in flight school. Went to CTI and learned how to do a proper PTAC in 5 min while the no aviation experience people still couldn't do one for 2 weeks. A lot of things are going to come easier to pilots in atc training. How easy depends on how much experience you have. Private pilot will not have as easy a time as someone who has experience at the airline level. Basically, if you are a pilot and dont make it through training....you suck.

I suck at non radar problems

BTW....stop hatin on the pilots...its all you see on this site is pilot bashin...Ya wanna bash someone bash obama ;)

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
Position, Turn, Altitude, Clearane
"5 miles from final approach fix, turn left hdg 190, maintain 2000 until established on the localizer, cleared ils rwy 16 approach"

tuggz19

Newcomer
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks. Spent 32 years in the business and never heard that acronym before. Guess you really are never to old to learn something new.