I Just Took the New AT SA Test

shaewrightt

Rookie
Aug 29, 2016
Hello all,

So I took the AT SA test today (Nov 30, 2016) and ummmm.... very interesting. Besides the anxiety I already had knowing this big test was coming up, I was even more of a wreck when I found out, just a day ago, that the test is nothing like what I had been studying. The study guides posted here on stuckmic, the green book, the numerous links, etc. It is all USELESS in comparison to what I took today. (Useless is a powerful word to illustrate the humongous difference).

There is no Scenarios test, no Angles test, no Dials, Analogies, Applied Math, Scan, or Letter Factory. It's all about memory, speed, and critical thinking. I was so disappointed because I was extremely excited to just knock the test out of the park. I knew what I was getting myself into and I was ready. Kinda like already knowing the secrets and just ready to rock and roll. LOL. NOT!!!!!

I can't say exactly how the test is verbatim but I am going to do my best to give you the best idea: the games are simply memory. What did you see on the previous screen, now subtract that from what is on the current screen, type that answer, repeat. Or, prevent the numbers from crashing into each other (simulated aircraft) while doing the mental math problem at the bottom of the screen, that only shows for about 3/4 seconds. Also, there is a type of game where you have to choose whether the smaller a/c is on the left or right of the larger aircraft according to its nose. Easy enough right, lol. Be fast, really fast.

After the fun stuff, was the critical thinking. I was so bummed because it felt like I was in high school taking a reading comprehension test. WHERE IS THE MATH, D=ST?!!!!! Not on the new test. The critical thinking part consists of questions such as: Kyle, Ana, Sarah, Bob, and John are about to sit down. Ana sits between Kyle and Bob, John does not want to sit on the ends, Sarah has to sit next to Kyle. Who is John sitting next to? (get the picture)... The crap that took me 15 minutes on each question in high school and we had about 18 questions to do in 15 minutes. Or which statement must be true out of 4 statements listed. That kinda stuff. Then, there are small paragraphs and you answer three questions about it: author's intent, main idea, etc.

There is a "personality" portion that lasts about 25 minutes and it consists of three statements, choose the one that is most like you and least like you.

And that is the new test in a nutshell. I know people give tips such as sleep well the day before. Good luck, all I did was think about the test and dream of everything that can go wrong such as being late and being taken by dragons. LOL. Honestly, until a study guide is created, the best thing you can do is brush up on your critical thinking and just show up to do your best. Take advantage of the practice sections, I practiced like 4 times before actually starting the exercise for some of the games.

I hope this helps a little, my main goal is to give you small insight to the new test. The new test lasts about 3.5 hours.

Best... and good luck to everyone.

MrJBGibson

Nov 14, 2012
Took mine on the 30th as well lol I'm gonna have that test on the forefront of my thoughts until I get the results - I'm 31 as well so it's all or nothing ! Either air traffic control or jet mechanic/FAA inspector for a career !! Prayers my friend!!

Oct 31, 2016
I took mine yesterday (12/1/16) and like he stated above, I was so prepared for something that was not even close to what the test was really like. My best advice is to practice your numbers on the keyboard as quickly as you can. I also wouldn't even use the study guide from this site for the new test. It will not help you one bit. Also, try and practice doing large number math problems really quickly in your head. The thing about this new test is SPEED! I can't stress that enough. When you take the test be prepared to do everything as quick as possible.

Good luck!

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
By large numbers do you mean 76 X 45 or 674 X 542? One is difficult, the other seems almost impossible especially while multi-tasking.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
By large numbers do you mean 76 X 45 or 674 X 542? One is difficult, the other seems almost impossible especially while multi-tasking.
Both kinds show up, and if I remember correctly some of the problems even had up to 5 digit numbers i.e. 10,964 / 436. And yes, these problems are on screen for fractions of a second at times.

I firmly believe it is only there to serve as a distraction from the important separation. I'm pretty fast when it comes to mental math, but most of the time the problems are up for an absurdly short amount of time. By the end of the test I was answering basically only in between radar scenarios or when I was sure my scope was conflict free.

Think of it as a test on prioritization instead of speed. It's about taking your time and doing the right thing instead of getting sidetracked and killing somebody.

If you want to do well on the AT-SA, think of what ATC exist to do. If you aren't sure, here is the literal definition from the 7110.65:

"The primary purpose of the ATC system is to prevent a collision between aircraft operating in the system and to provide a safe, orderly and expeditious flow of traffic, and to provide support for National Security and Homeland Defense. In addition to its primary function, the ATC system has the capability to provide, with certain limitations, additional services."

Preventing collisions and being safe comes before EVERYTHING else.

Last edited:

Arenn

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2016
Thank you so much for that insight, I take mine tomorrow! I have only one question, do you get to have a pen?

Arenn

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2016
OK, that is what I thought, thanks again. This site has really helped shape and organize me mentally much better in a sense, I am also less nervous.

Oct 31, 2016
Exactly. Some of the math was up and gone so quickly I do believe they want you to prioritize what's most important. I went in thinking I had to answer the questions. Like he said above, just do what is most important.

dfastest4444

Newcomer
May 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
I took the new ATSA and I can say the same thing that the other threads posted about it. I wish I can take it over or at least practice a few more times. I'm sure I would score better. But it still requires very fast reaction time.

Both kinds show up, and if I remember correctly some of the problems even had up to 5 digit numbers i.e. 10,964 / 436. And yes, these problems are on screen for fractions of a second at times.

I firmly believe it is only there to serve as a distraction from the important separation. I'm pretty fast when it comes to mental math, but most of the time the problems are up for an absurdly short amount of time. By the end of the test I was answering basically only in between radar scenarios or when I was sure my scope was conflict free.

Think of it as a test on prioritization instead of speed. It's about taking your time and doing the right thing instead of getting sidetracked and killing somebody.

If you want to do well on the AT-SA, think of what ATC exist to do. If you aren't sure, here is the literal definition from the 7110.65:

"The primary purpose of the ATC system is to prevent a collision between aircraft operating in the system and to provide a safe, orderly and expeditious flow of traffic, and to provide support for National Security and Homeland Defense. In addition to its primary function, the ATC system has the capability to provide, with certain limitations, additional services."

Preventing collisions and being safe comes before EVERYTHING else.

customcables067

Sep 1, 2010
FYI, the ATSA is new, so none of the study materials here designed for the (old) ATSAT were designed to help you pass or study for the ATSA. Furthermore, it's supposed to be an aptitude test, anyways. By definition, not something you can study for.

boson41

Newcomer
Nov 28, 2016
Hello all,

So I took the AT SA test today (Nov 30, 2016) and ummmm.... very interesting. Besides the anxiety I already had knowing this big test was coming up, I was even more of a wreck when I found out, just a day ago, that the test is nothing like what I had been studying. The study guides posted here on stuckmic, the green book, the numerous links, etc. It is all USELESS in comparison to what I took today. (Useless is a powerful word to illustrate the humongous difference).

There is no Scenarios test, no Angles test, no Dials, Analogies, Applied Math, Scan, or Letter Factory. It's all about memory, speed, and critical thinking. I was so disappointed because I was extremely excited to just knock the test out of the park. I knew what I was getting myself into and I was ready. Kinda like already knowing the secrets and just ready to rock and roll. LOL. NOT!!!!!

I can't say exactly how the test is verbatim but I am going to do my best to give you the best idea: the games are simply memory. What did you see on the previous screen, now subtract that from what is on the current screen, type that answer, repeat. Or, prevent the numbers from crashing into each other (simulated aircraft) while doing the mental math problem at the bottom of the screen, that only shows for about 3/4 seconds. Also, there is a type of game where you have to choose whether the smaller a/c is on the left or right of the larger aircraft according to its nose. Easy enough right, lol. Be fast, really fast.

After the fun stuff, was the critical thinking. I was so bummed because it felt like I was in high school taking a reading comprehension test. WHERE IS THE MATH, D=ST?!!!!! Not on the new test. The critical thinking part consists of questions such as: Kyle, Ana, Sarah, Bob, and John are about to sit down. Ana sits between Kyle and Bob, John does not want to sit on the ends, Sarah has to sit next to Kyle. Who is John sitting next to? (get the picture)... The crap that took me 15 minutes on each question in high school and we had about 18 questions to do in 15 minutes. Or which statement must be true out of 4 statements listed. That kinda stuff. Then, there are small paragraphs and you answer three questions about it: author's intent, main idea, etc.

There is a "personality" portion that lasts about 25 minutes and it consists of three statements, choose the one that is most like you and least like you.

And that is the new test in a nutshell. I know people give tips such as sleep well the day before. Good luck, all I did was think about the test and dream of everything that can go wrong such as being late and being taken by dragons. LOL. Honestly, until a study guide is created, the best thing you can do is brush up on your critical thinking and just show up to do your best. Take advantage of the practice sections, I practiced like 4 times before actually starting the exercise for some of the games.

I hope this helps a little, my main goal is to give you small insight to the new test. The new test lasts about 3.5 hours.

Best... and good luck to everyone.
Ive gotta say this was really comforting to read because I had the exact same experience and just thought I was some sort of fool. I've been waiting a while for my results to come back. You get the results via email right?

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
There is a study guide you can download for the new AT-SA test that greatly helped me (got a TOL for last year's bid currently awaiting an FOL). Download mental math apps and practice difficult multiplication questions focusing on accuracy and speed (answers in under a minute). I practiced LSAT reading comprehension and logic games questions which are harder than the AT-SA, but it greatly assisted with speed and accuracy, so I was able to finish that portion with time to spare. The study guide is not free, but it has the scenarios, memory, and situational awareness portion on it (cost was $30). All together you should be well prepared. Good luck!