I Washed Out Of En Route Training - Feel Free To Ask Questions

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
I am also a enroute washout (.31%) however i have all my notes and information from my personal folder that can give some insight on if anyone has any questions. (I also got .44% taking off for sitting to close to the Rside, which is always a fun error. Thanks perry ann)

PapaWhiskeyTango

Newcomer
Nov 24, 2012
I am also a enroute washout (.31%) however i have all my notes and information from my personal folder that can give some insight on if anyone has any questions. (I also got .44% taking off for sitting to close to the Rside, which is always a fun error. Thanks perry ann)
Can you be more specific as to how you washed and was this in OKC?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I'm sorry that it happened to you, but the best thing is to move on.

For as little value as the Academy (and Perry in particular; Jesus, I can't believe she's *still* teaching out there) imparts to trainees, it strikes me as crazy that we wash out anybody there.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Tower is never pass-pass. If you wash from a center and go to tower school you can still wash....Center washouts must go to tower school though and they can fail the PV just like the rest of us.
Not entirely true.

I was out there in October '12. I was a CPC ERR in a group of Center washouts. They told the whole class that they could fail the PV both days and they will still be sent to their facility. The facility would then decide what to do with them. But they would not technically wash out of the FAA at the academy.

Ozelot

Rookie
Jun 15, 2008
En route is harder than terminal and takes longer to check out in most cases.

En route is fairly routine run of the mill traffic. Us center pukes earn our money on days when there is a storm system getting in the way. Otherwise it is just watching planes fly through and giving a small vector to miss another. I've worked radar in the terminal and center environment. To say one is harder then the other is ignorant, they are different beasts.

joeffling

Jun 16, 2009
anything from a lvl 5-12 can be extremely challenging. it really depends on the complexity of the operation. you see things at a lvl 6, 7 or 8 that you would never ever see at an 11 or 12. it can be pretty crazy/cowboy at some lower level facilities that don't have the constant steady traffic that the busier facilities have. but they can get busy, and when they do you....there is a lot of improvisation.

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
anything from a lvl 5-12 can be extremely challenging. it really depends on the complexity of the operation. you see things at a lvl 6, 7 or 8 that you would never ever see at an 11 or 12. it can be pretty crazy/cowboy at some lower level facilities that don't have the constant steady traffic that the busier facilities have. but they can get busy, and when they do you....there is a lot of improvisation.
Exactly... there are a lot of 8s and above with some very canned traffic. Everything is IFR and single filed like ducks in a row into the airport. It's not complicated..there is just volume. Then you get a level 6 vfr tower with 230k operations a year where it seems like chaos and the controller works his ass off... it may not be airliners but having a constant touch and go pattern while mixing in ifr jets isn't exactly easy. People get too hung up on the number next to a facility. A controller who's only worked Atlanta tower is not going to walk into Vero Beach and check out in a week because he works at a level 12 facility. It's a completely different ballgame.