Ideas for Thirty Days of JetBlue

Singingastro

Trusted Member
May 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. It's been a little bit edgy the past few days, because I wanted to have as many story ideas lined up as possible -- there'll be plenty of days when I just don't meet any interesting people (interesting enough to write about, that is). The response to the recent Wired article has been tremendous, and its both confirmed ideas that we came up with and introduced a few new ones... so with a deeper pool to pick from, I'm not worrying as much about days when I'd potentially have nothing to say.

Other stuff... my wife isn't looking forward to it. We do about everything together; this is the first big trip that we've had apart since we've known each other. She's a little disappointed that it's not something that involves her, but she's okay with it. Besides, I'll get to see her at three points, so that's good.

Hey, if you've got Twitter, follow me @flyered. The feedback on that has been REAL big; over 600 followers in a little over 24 hours.
i bet your wife isn't completely excited about it. this is a great opportunity you have here though. at least you will get to see her a couple of times. get you some!!!! lol. i do have twitter. i will get right on that. keep in touch for sure, and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

junebug1561

Newcomer
Jul 18, 2009
Mesquite, Nevada
Hi,
My husband is a pilot for Jetblue, I am a Dispatch Coordinator for a Regional airline...I might have a couple of ideas for you.
Definitely get the crews involved on your flights...it will make it more fun for you...you might even get to stand in front of the plane and tell your story...you can meet some very interesting people that way.
Make sure you get the name/type (they fly Airbus and Embraer) of every plane you fly on...Jetblue names every single plane they have...it will be sort of interesting when you are done to see how many different/same planes you flew on.
Every city has some sort of crazy festival, or celebration...maybe you could talk about what was going on in the cities you visited... Example BTV...This summer Vermont is celebrating the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain?s exploration of our region and the lake that today bears his name.

We're celebrating in grand style with more than 100 events, programs, and exhibits through the summer and fall.

Every airport has some silly little quirk, a neat restaurant, bar, massage parlor, good food...you could "rate" the friendliness of the airport....like, in general anybody that was working within the airport was friendly...not friendly...downright rude :)
Are you going to publish your plans...maybe start a facebook account so people could "follow" you...and like someone else said, let us know where you will be and maybe some of us that can get through security will come meet you :) Personally...I am near Vegas, and could always use an excuse for a trip to the city :)
Seriously, best of luck...try to make it funny, and remember to have a good time! It is really something that you will only do once in your life...if you are smart!
Us airline employees spend our lives in and out of various airports, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think I should write a book about my experiences :)

Reactions: Rosstafari

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Lots of great ideas, thanks. I'll be flying through Vegas sometime in week two, I think. Would love to talk to you and/or your husband; do me a favor and drop me a PM with your email address if you wouldn't mind me asking a few more questions.

As far as Facebook goes, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way that'll automatically list my Twitter updates there. Doing both would be tedious, and I seem to recall a program that would handle it. Plus, it'd cut down on the number of people I've never heard of suddenly friending me on my personal account.

Really like the idea of listing all the plane names. Now that you mention it, I had thought of that early on but forgot about it, glad to toss it onto my list.

junebug1561

Newcomer
Jul 18, 2009
Mesquite, Nevada
The plane names will be a great addition to your writing. I sent you a PM.
I talked to my husband this morning, and he said that they held some sort of get together for people that had bought the pass and planned on traveling all 30 days...I guess it was at a bar in downtown New York...sorry it is too late for the info :( Sounds like there were around 100 people that planned on doing it...maybe you could hook up with some of them and get some good stories out of it! Best of luck, and I hope to talk to you when you come through Nevada!

titans83

Mar 9, 2009
Antioch, TN
I work at the PHX airport.. Jetblue flies out of Terminal 3 there. I already feel sorry for you if you're going to be stuck in that terminal.. im pretty jealous though!

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Will have dates up pretty soon, hopefully by tonight or tomorrow around noon. If not then, tomorrow night. Wired's a little behind on having the blog ready, with labor day and all.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
5:11 in the morning in Oakland. Waiting for ticketing to open so JB can issue me a standby boarding pass for a flight I'm not actually planning on taking so I can go sleep post-security. This is a pretty bad airport for sleeping if you have to leave the secured area.

For obvious reasons, I'll be much less active at SM for the next month. I'll still watch this thread for ideas and comments that any of you feel like passing on. The blog's supposed to be ready sometime today, and you can follow me on Twitter @Flyered.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
Rasta, you taking any notes about your experiences in the airport? How are you being treated? How's your luggage? etc. or at least mental notes? I know you're probably exhausted, but I didn't know if you were doing that or not is all.

Don't forget to rank the airports so we know which is your favorite! haha (and least favorite for that matter)

mklatval

Rookie
Feb 16, 2009
Burlington VT
We have a 20 F-16s that fly most days here at BTV hopefully you see them, check out our old tower which is on top of the terminal as an observation deck for passengers.

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
Hey Rossta i didnt search it, but r u already flying around? Did you talk to Jet Blue's public relations manager to possibly have the crew on each flight announce you and have you talk to everyone using the PA system??!! Man this sounds like fun. YOU NEED A PARTNER LIKE ME BWAAHAHHAAA.

Anywhoot, HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, and tell us all about your journey in the lower 48!

Wgere did you post your schedule?

n61870

Rookie
Nov 3, 2008
Im not sure exactly what your goal here is but if you really want something noteworthy to write about, get the dirt on what life is like for a crew member. In particular, the regional airlines. Jet blue may not give you the "dirt" to win a pulitzer, but most regional airline crews can give you the heads up on FAA rules that will make you cringe next time you fly. Remember the Colgan accident in NY? Excuse the cliche, but thats just the tip of the iceburg. Dont know what Im talking about, heres an example: The FAA says its ok for a crewmember to get 8 hours of rest, which is considered to be the time between opening the cabin door at the destination and reporting for duty the next day. Now take into consideration it may take 20+ minutes to deplane the passengers and get to the curb to wait for the hotel van and who knows when it will arrive. Many of the destinations in Mexico include a 20-40 minute van ride each way. Oh did you want dinner, or take a shower or a stoll on the treadmill? Well that time is just another segment taken away from you 8 hours. Airline crews are just like every other human and most cannot drift into a sound slumber just by being in a bed. My point is that on one of the FAA approved 8 hours of rest, your crew members may have actually only had 4-6 hours of sleep. Just something to think about when you give an aircraft a control instruction at 5am and you have to repeat it. I can go on and on but I wont. Hope your project bears fruit in whatever your goals are. Im just happy that the public is FINALLY being exposed to the low pay and potentially hazardous conditions our airline pilots endure, which hopefully in turn will force the FAA to actually do something about it this time. I look forward to your writings.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Yeah, about to hit two weeks... actually, I guess I just did today. It's gone both fast and slow. Airports are really starting to blur together; I'll frequently forget where I am and I rarely know where I'm going beyond the next 24 hours (if that). I had my wallet and phone stolen in JFK and have been relying heavily on the generosity of others to carry me until I got a replacement a few hours ago. I've had random people take pictures with me and ask for autographs and I'm testing equipment for at least five different companies, ranging from a computer (which I swapped out for my normal one after a week) to headphones to a wheelie bag. It's been crazy.

I like the above ideas and all three have been the pipeline for a while. The nature of the blog won't result in any hard-hitting exposes on the difficulties of the aviation lifestyle, but hopefully it'll sway some readers towards realizing that it's much harder of a job than they realize.

Time to find a place to sleep here in LGA. "Sleep". Right. The only airport where I've felt like somebody might actually mess with my stuff.

TOWER_BOY1

Jun 10, 2009
brooklyn NY
yeah, about to hit two weeks... Actually, i guess i just did today. It's gone both fast and slow. Airports are really starting to blur together; i'll frequently forget where i am and i rarely know where i'm going beyond the next 24 hours (if that). I had my wallet and phone stolen in jfk and have been relying heavily on the generosity of others to carry me until i got a replacement a few hours ago. I've had random people take pictures with me and ask for autographs and i'm testing equipment for at least five different companies, ranging from a computer (which i swapped out for my normal one after a week) to headphones to a wheelie bag. It's been crazy.

I like the above ideas and all three have been the pipeline for a while. The nature of the blog won't result in any hard-hitting exposes on the difficulties of the aviation lifestyle, but hopefully it'll sway some readers towards realizing that it's much harder of a job than they realize.

Time to find a place to sleep here in lga. "sleep". Right. The only airport where i've felt like somebody might actually mess with my stuff.
lol hold on to ur stuff tight, i just was there too picking up my friend...where to next

Cheeks

Mar 28, 2009
Maybe if JetBlue is going to get a lot of exposure out of this you could try to milk them for some extra goodies like touring their training facilities, taking a ride in a simulator or something or some other behind the scenes stuff. Or, you could write an article about where the blue juice goes after they pull the truck up, hook up the hose and suck it out of the lav.
Hey Rasta, I think you owe me some Schwag! I read the article about going for a ride in the sim! Also, to quote you:

"We strapped into the front seats, Archer in the pilot?s and me in the first officer?s..."

You just stoked one of mine and many other current and former First Officer's Pet Peave's! I think you meant Archer was in the Captain's seat because a First Officer IS a pilot!