If the FAA starts rating CTI Schools....

doffutt

Newcomer
Jun 27, 2011
Olympia, WA
Hi All,
As a junior in high school, I'm pretty new to all of this -- but I have read the FAA special committee report that came out a month or two ago, and they have suggested that each of the CTI schools be rated in regards to the quality of their programs (simulation equipment, number of classes in ATC, etc). As someone looking at a career in ATC, and wanting to double major in ATC and aviation management, I'd be concerned about attending a school which allows you to add a few courses and then meet its requirements for the CTI program. In looking at the 35 or so schools approved by the FAA, do any of you have suggestions as to which schools might be top tier, middle tier, bottom tier, etc? I definitely don't want to make the mistake of going to what might be a lower ranked school then never get the opportunity to go to the academy. I realize these recommendations might never be implemented, but also want to be ready just in case.

Thanks very much!

bravoxray

Aug 31, 2010
Farmington, MN
MCTC would be second from the top. They have great en route simulators (Used to be a direct-hire training facility for ZMP before they stopped allowing direct hiring so its the actual center equipment, not a modified PC), but no tower training.

SCOPED

Senior Analyst
Nov 21, 2010
Gods Country, Alaska
The report is bogus. They have produced many reports like this and very small changes come from them. I agree that CCBC and MCTC are great schools but I would get the cheepest CTI ticket outside of Vaughn and get your name in the hat. There are strong students in my class from several schools but everyone evens out or succombs to their natural abilities at the academy. The instuctors are great and you will get more than a fighting chance with instruction here to have success and move on with a career in ATC.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Let's just answer the dudes question instead of every post about CTI being either Riddle sucks or go the cheapest route.

In regards to the question, it's nearly impossible to answer. Back when there where 13 schools UND, ERAU and beaver were the best maybe Purdue. Now with another 20 plus schools that have only been around a few years it's too hard to rate.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
Tulsa was the cats ass for terminal. A disgruntled former academy instructor runs it, same sims, same runway configue and even the same call signs. You are the most prepared to master the sims and pass the PV through that school id say, beyond that for atc knowledge I would say beaver.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
If they really wanted to create an objective measure of how well CTI schools are doing, they'd check in five years after hiring to see how many alumni made it and how many washed. Maybe compare checkout times for the CPCs.

Anything other than that's just opinion anyway. It's not like anybody on here has gone to a bunch of different CTIs to test out which is best. Even that would be subjective.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
...I'd be concerned about attending a school which allows you to add a few courses and then meet its requirements for the CTI program.!
As someone who was in your shoes all of three years ago, I can see why you would think that. But you should also understand that these "majors" in ATC are essentially worthless outside of getting you the CTI certificate. Sure, UND and ERAU make a huge deal out of their ATC majors, but you also have to understand that the FAA (at this point in time) couldn't care less about where you go as long as you get the CTI certificate. I'm a Purdue majoring in aviation management with a concentration in ATC (yes, I'm taking three ATC-specific classes) with all intentions of being able to apply for the FAA's CTI bid, and much faith in being selected for the academy. Of course, if the FAA doesn't accept me, I have a 4-year management degree that leaves many other options open.

Davidian

Mar 31, 2010
Don't you wanna know?
Its the FAA. You can probably take that recommendation with a grain of salt because its the government. Although I would still recommend going to one of those top schools recommended by the others on this forum. But to tell you up front, the FAA hiring process is beginning to slow down, regardless of what the FAA says in their yearly reports saying they project to hire 1000 people each year for the next 10 years. Thats probably not going to happen. So if you decide to go to one of these schools as a junior now. Your looking at graduating FY2017 when going to a 4 year college, and quite honestly it will probably be tough to get into the FAA.

Although you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and that you want to double major in something else. This I absolutely recommend to do! You could easily wait for the FAA to hire you and in the mean time you will have a different degree to use in the aviation industry. You will look good for having two degrees especially if it comes from one of those top schools.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a bright future!

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
But to tell you up front, the FAA hiring process is beginning to slow down, regardless of what the FAA says in their yearly reports saying they project to hire 1000 people each year for the next 10 years. Thats probably not going to happen. So if you decide to go to one of these schools as a junior now. Your looking at graduating FY2017 when going to a 4 year college, and quite honestly it will probably be tough to get into the FAA.
What are you basing that on? I disagree. There's still a great deal of controllers facing mandatory retirement in the next few years, and there needs to be people to replace them. Hiring won't be at the breakneck rate that they were going at a year or two ago, but it's still going to remain higher than what the average was for most of the 2000's for some time to come.

Davidian

Mar 31, 2010
Don't you wanna know?
I agree with you on that. I believe that it will be tough as in look how backed up things are at this point in time. And like you said, were not at break neck hiring anymore. My apologies that it sounded like they will not be hiring anymore, I just don't think at a 1000 per year pace. Your still probably looking at 1.5 to 2 years to get to your facility after getting selected. My only point was it would be smart to get on the list as soon as possible and to try to get that double major to help during that down time he/she will have while waiting.