IFR Low Altitude - Preferred Routes Vs Auto-Routing

Devil07

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
I asked this question on pilot boards and no one seems to know anything about this. My question is about the difference between "preferred routes" and "auto-routes" that are provided by flight planning software. Specifically, when a destination has "no preferred routes" the software offers me an "auto-routing" route (sometimes its silly), but it seems to be based on an algorithm of nearest VOR/Intersection/Victor Airway to destination.

Confession: I'm just now starting to use these online resources for IFR flying. I used to just do it by hand on paper charts and call it in, but I really like to have an idea of what ATC would like because if it matches up with what I need, then its a win-win.

QUESTION: If a destination has "No Preferred Routes", and all I'm provided with is "auto-routing" what is the likelihood of getting a "cleared as filed" if I file "Direct" vs using the "Auto-Routing" route?

I looked at a couple of routes on fltplan.com and noticed that the "auto-routing" was not even in the 5 Most Recent Planned ATC routes, so it seems like they aren't used often. Almost seems like the auto-routing is not preferred by anybody (pilots or controllers). For example, on a short 79 mile flight, the auto-routing suggests flying on 3 different victor airways. NOTE: I'm flying to out of the way airports in midwest, not congested airspace at all, most don't even have SIDs or STARs.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
You're likely not going to have a good idea of which routes to expect until you fly 3-4 times between the same two airports.
If there's "no preferred routes" and the "auto-route" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, your chances of getting a direct clearance would be fairly high.

Devil07

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
@stinger that makes a lot of sense to me, especially in the low congestion areas where I fly. I assume direct routing makes the controller's life easier too. In one of the examples I was looking at, direct routing took me from a small Class D through rural flat land to another Class D, but the auto-routing, took me like 25 miles out of the way through/over Class C, just because thats where the Victor airway was. I guess auto-routing is designed with traditional /U aircraft in mind.