IFR Priority?

bob44zw

Apr 5, 2011
Last week a King Air made a statement on the tower frequency that went like this: " King Air ZZZ, we are on an active IFR Clearance, and a light aircraft just flew too close to us!" The tower made no comment.

The King Air, as near as I could tell from the transmissions, was roughly seven miles out on the ILS. That is, he was in class E airspace, and in VFR weather conditions (no clouds, visibility around 30 miles).

King Air pilots often make the same mistakes the rest of us make, but assuming an IFR clearance means you have the right-of-way over VFR aircraft could actually be dangerous. I haven't reviewed the regulations within the last week, but I am pretty sure that IFR aircraft are still subject to all right-of-way rules even in class Bravo, and I think the Controller's Handbook explicitly addresses this for class Delta.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
In VMC every pilot has the responsibility to see and avoid. IFR does not take priority over VFR.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
How close were you?

This seems to happen to you a lot. Are you just trying to prove a point to everyone else?

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Last week a King Air made a statement on the tower frequency that went like this: " King Air ZZZ, we are on an active IFR Clearance, and a light aircraft just flew too close to us!" The tower made no comment.

The King Air, as near as I could tell from the transmissions, was roughly seven miles out on the ILS. That is, he was in class E airspace, and in VFR weather conditions (no clouds, visibility around 30 miles).

King Air pilots often make the same mistakes the rest of us make, but assuming an IFR clearance means you have the right-of-way over VFR aircraft could actually be dangerous. I haven't reviewed the regulations within the last week, but I am pretty sure that IFR aircraft are still subject to all right-of-way rules even in class Bravo, and I think the Controller's Handbook explicitly addresses this for class Delta.

VFR aircraft can get 500ft below/above and green between to an IFR aircraft, technically so hes unaware of that rule.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
VFR aircraft can get 500ft below/above and green between to an IFR aircraft, technically so hes unaware of that rule.
There is no separation requirement (vertical or horizontal) involving VFR aircraft in class D or E airspace.
Just don't scratch the paint.