I'm Really Starting to Dislike FAA HR

rooster

Trusted Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
Western Hemipshere
I called FEMALE HR REP Friday and asked some very specific questions...

Academy opening back up? RTF, ERR, etc. Oct. 1...NOTHING ELSE PLANNED/EXPECTED until Jan. 1

January 2013 Panel? No decision...

October Panel? CANCELED...

PUBNAT? Standard BS answer that ATO must request a PUBNAT to be announced...

After four questions she became noticeably irritated by the fact that I was asking questions. I am attributing this to the fact that most of us have probably bugged to hell out of HR trying to find out want is going on. I gave up trying to get her to answer questions and tried to play it cool to allay her irritation. After a few minutes of talking about furloughs and the (yet again) budget problems facing our nation I decided to hit her with two last questions before I let her off of the phone.

What is the FAA going to do about the looming retirements and the imminent shortage of controllers? We hope that when the academy opens back up we will be authorized to run it at its maximum capacity to help relieve the controller shortage, but beyond that we are assuming facilities will be forced to operate at minimum manning until receiving new hires.

Can the mandatory retirement age of 56 be raised to help ease the strain on the system? NO...the mandatory retirement age of 56 is a matter of Public Law and would require a Congressional Act in order to change it... (I paraphrased the best I could)

Most of this was already known to you folks, but figured I'd share anyways...Time for me to drink a beer or ten....

Last edited:

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
I've come to the decision that I'm done being angry about the whole thing. It'll happen when it happens. I'm still gonna troll the hell out of some SM hiring boards though.

Clown College Class of 2014 baby!

N813JB

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2010
Too bad the HR reps don't tally how many time their candidates call them to ask the same damn questions over and over after getting the same answers, or lack there of, each and every time. So come time when they actually have class dates to give out, they put the annoying ones at the end of the list... I'm with nhstadt on this. It will happen when it happens.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
What is the purpose of calling HR and asking them questions you already know the answers too? You knew exactly what they were going to tell you when you called because you asked the same questions and received the same answers as many other people have posted on here. HR doesn't know anything, they have scripted, vague company-line answers to give out, and are way to far down the totem pole to change anything.

AlphaBravoh

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
What is the purpose of calling HR and asking them questions you already know the answers too?
What's the purpose of replying to this thread when he knows already that he asked these questions before and was going to get the same answers and the same responses from the same people on SM about these same questions and answers?

What's the purpose of me replying to you about replying to him?

Repeat Ad nauseam...

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I sympathize with everyone waiting for the next step in the process, but look: the FAA can't spend money that Congress doesn't give it to spend. The FAA can't know how much money it will have to hire people and run classes at the Academy until a budget or continuing resolution funding government operations passes and is signed by the President. You are hostage to the same process as everybody else who needs the federal government to go on working, at least somewhat normally.

HR is guessing that the money will happen within 30 days of the projected shutdown. They know that they're asking for enough to hire and run the Academy for whatever attrition they expect this year, but they don't know how much they'll get to hire. Whether more OT or more waivers or more delays are going to be necessary to cover a shortfall in hiring, nobody knows. But Congress doesn't care about us until the delays make the papers.

rooster

Trusted Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
Western Hemipshere
What is the purpose of calling HR and asking them questions you already know the answers too? You knew exactly what they were going to tell you when you called because you asked the same questions and received the same answers as many other people have posted on here. HR doesn't know anything, they have scripted, vague company-line answers to give out, and are way to far down the totem pole to change anything.
I think you need to meet me at the bar...you seem tense...

rooster

Trusted Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
Western Hemipshere
You seriously called an HR rep with those two final questions?

What a tool.
I do it in the hopes that HR will slip up and give out unintended information. I have gotten more useful information by asking unrelated questions...its called misdirection...

And speaking of tools...you can suck a bag of d!cks...

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
What's the purpose of replying to this thread when he knows already that he asked these questions before and was going to get the same answers and the same responses from the same people on SM about these same questions and answers?

What's the purpose of me replying to you about replying to him?

Repeat Ad nauseam...
Touché sir.

Ryan86

Apr 6, 2012
What is the FAA going to do about the looming retirements and the imminent shortage of controllers? We hope that when the academy opens back up we will be authorized to run it at its maximum capacity to help relieve the controller shortage, but beyond that we are assuming facilities will be forced to operate at minimum manning until receiving.
Did she say what the maximum capacity is?? If I remember correctly last year for enroute there were 3 classes per month with 18 students at the most in a class.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Did she say what the maximum capacity is?? If I remember correctly last year for enroute there were 3 classes per month with 18 students at the most in a class.
It was 18 per class when I was there, so I doubt that changed. The biggest issue is simulator space. They only have a couple labs so they're limited with how many classes they can have in that stage of training.