In need of some advice.

Knoctrl

Newcomer
Sep 30, 2012
I was looking to find out what I could do with the training that I have recieved. A year ago I was sent to Keesler AFB to complete tech school training forATC. I made it to the final day, 72 days in, and was honorably discharged. I made it through all the classes with an 87 GPA for Radar/Tower, and scored a 99 on the CTO written exam. I'm getting all the paperwork for tech training sent to me in the mail. Only thing is that I haven't been officially rated because I never made it to my operating base. If anyone is able to offer advice as to how I can get back into ATC on the civilian side I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
You may be able to get a contract tower to give you a shot, but I highly doubt it. It seems your best bet will be to go the CTI route or maybe a different branch of the military.

RADAR1

Rookie
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, good luck. Most openings want or require radar or tower experience. However we had a 3-level wash out at our base and get hired with the FAA. So there is always a chance.

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
Two options I see:

CTI school

Air Guard. Since it sounds like you at least completed fundamentals you wouldn't have to go through that again, and if you completed the full course you could likely start facility upgrade training right away.

Fair Warning: The FAA seems to change their interpretation of VRA eligibility fairly frequently. It seems that sometimes ATC washouts from active duty get hired because they were in facility upgrade for at least 52 weeks before being withdrawn from the career field. That assumes they were hired under VRA and not something like OTS. On the other hand, 5-levels and 7-levels in the Guard sometimes get the run around, but I think it usually works out in the end.

Well, there is a third option. Wait for another PUBNAT, but good luck with that.

House

Nov 13, 2009
GEG
Yeah, good luck. Most openings want or require radar or tower experience. However we had a 3-level wash out at our base and get hired with the FAA. So there is always a chance.
I know of a few people who separated as a 3lvl at their first base. Never any ratings, and picked up by the FAA. However, they had "52 weeks of ATC experience", which gave them VRA qual. Which would not apply in this case.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, pretty much your pink card is worthless until you get some ratings on it. You could (it's a long shot) talk to a contract tower and see how understaffed they are... I talked to one near my home, and the manager told me he'd talk to the company that has the contract to see if they could get me hired on to get training... But he didn't promise anything. Something you could try. Or go the CTI route or military again