Indianapolis ARTCC - ZID

Derriko

Sep 26, 2011
Anybody have any contact info in order to get a tour? I cant seem to find any information on the internet, and seeing as I have live here in Indy now, I should stop by.

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
Anybody have any contact info in order to get a tour? I cant seem to find any information on the internet, and seeing as I have live here in Indy now, I should stop by.
ZID - Indianapolis ARTCC
1850 S. Sigsbee St.
Indianapolis, IN 46241
(P) 317-247-2230
(F) 317-247-2226
Facility Level - 12
Locality Pay 2012 - 14.68%

Mike_M

May 18, 2012
Tucson
My wife and I are from the Indy area and we have been thinking about moving back home. Anyone on here have information about the center life and the training program at ZID? Appreciate the info in advance!

italk2planes

Nov 20, 2012
ZID's a good place to work. Culture here is pretty chill, union management relations are good, and training moves along just fine. I think data link/comm is going to start mid-late 2018 which will probably slow training down some. Other than that, I've only been here for a year and don't have any other facilities I've been to that I can compare it to. I'm not much a fan of Indiana but I really like the facility enough to stay here despite, well, Indiana.

tegsr94

Newcomer
Sep 8, 2009
I have been at ZID for almost 8 years now, it is my 1st and only location so far. My personal experience has been very positive. I may be lucky because I have had some great supervisors who will work with you and aren't out to burn you on performance or say getting spot leave. It seems in comparison to other centers we have a very good union/management relationship. Of course like anywhere, there always is going to be a a few bad eggs. I've been looking to transfer to various places just for a change of scenery (been in the midwest my whole life) but nearly everyone says we have it great here! Training can go quickly (by center standards) if you are motivated and sharp, but most importantly if you aren't delayed for various reasons outside your control. From the time I got to the center to full CPC was 22 months for me. Things have changed though recently. Our staffing is the worst it has been since Ive been here. In addition, our traffic volume is the highest it's been also in the 8 years Ive been here. From what I have been told, the volume is still low compared to what they were doing 15 years ago, but then again the areas also would commonly have 12 to 15 CPC per shift back then. We now are pretty regularly running anywhere from 8 to maybe 11 CPC per shift. It's nearly impossible now to get spot leave, your only guaranteed time off is your prime time leave that you bid in October for the following year. Additionally, ZID keeps letting CPC's transfer out to other facilities so things keep getting worse. I believe close to 50% of our workforce is eligible to retire here also so there should be a significant influx of trainees over the next decade.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
In addition, our traffic volume is the highest it's been also in the 8 years Ive been here. From what I have been told, the volume is still low compared to what they were doing 15 years ago, but then again the areas also would commonly have 12 to 15 CPC per shift back then. .
Yep, between 1998 and 2008, ZID was handling between 2.5-2.7 million aircraft each year. Dropped off to 1.9 million by 2013, and is slowly climbing. 2017 was a little over 2 million.