interested in atc. Want to known the fastest way to get hired. how to improve chances of getting hi

Nick

Jun 14, 2008
Down Yonderville, TX
You want to become an air traffic controller.....

Join the military. They will train you, they will give you experience, and they will PAY you. Unlike any cti school I've ever heard of...

257WBY

Rookie
Aug 14, 2012
Let the military teach you ATC and pay for your college. There will be planes around for a long time, but anything aviation related is old hat now and they will be paying as such going into the future. I love working traffic, but don't see it as a good plan for a young person. Get into the next cutting edge field. If you take a look at the news, you will see how controllers are being treated.

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
This is true - the ATC field has gone from no growth to significant downsizing. Contract tower closures = 600 job cuts. Closing FAA towers = 1000 job cuts as not all will be absorbed at other facilities. Net -1600/18000 = -9% growth. I'm sure there are other fields with better growth (even in aviation).

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
Excellent advice. While the military is also downsizing, normal turnover and lack of reenlistment bonus should result in ongoing openings in ATC. Historically, VRAs (experienced military ATC) have a greater hiring rate by the FAA than non-experienced applicants.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
However, military in no way guarantees you'll get a CTO in which case a FCT is not an option. Although with just a radar ticket there are overseas contract options.

Juliet_Delta

Newcomer
Jun 5, 2013
Join the military, become a controller, do your 5-6 years and then try to get hired on by the FAA. If the hiring is slow or stopped, at least you served your country and you will be able to use your GI Bill to pay for school.
I joined the military three years ago, thinking to myself that by this date I'll be rated, but the Army had other plans for me, and three years later I'm still not rated, because they put me at a division level, I think for anyone interrested on military ATC should go air force, my two cents, I'll never regret joining, but I must admit that it hurts me a little bit that after all that hard training I went thru i haven't been given the chance of getting what i want, and with the PCS extensions it looks even harder.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Air Force ATC. Any rating you get (except the rare PARs) will get you qualified for FAA. You will get a rating, pending you don't wash out of course. You don't have to worry about the Army and Navy ATC ratings that the FAA doesn't count. 6 years, get paid, go to school while active duty for free, benefits for life, and priority for hiring.

Boom. Done.

Sactokid

Mar 23, 2010
fairbanks, ak
my word of advise... you are a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL! With the government the way it is now, who knows what it will be like in 4 YEARS!
The best thing to do is get the good grades to make it into any college that you want so that way you can decide WHEN YOU ARE A SENIOR which of the (now) 26 certified CTI schools. (if you plan to go cti)
My other 2 cents is that if you were a senior now I would recommend that if you go the CTI route to choose a school that offers the Associates, get the degree and apply. THEN while you wait, and as you can see there is A LOT of waiting, finish you bachelor in any field (as posted earlier as backup)

Sactokid

Mar 23, 2010
fairbanks, ak
PS... if a off-the-street hire does open this October, or next Spring, when you take the At-sat, do your best but the best way to get a WELL qualified score is the end questions. I have proven this theory. I had a friend that took the test and got a 69.5 (just under qualified) He waited a year and when he retook the test got better than me by answering the questions at the end with ALWAYS yes or ALWAYS no. I put a few questions SOMETIMES yes SOMETIMES no. I still got WQ but trust me if you put all answers ALWAYS you are sure to get in the upper 90's. (ps i had a friend crash 4 planes on the scenario and still got 100 because of my statement above

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
my word of advise... you are a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL! With the government the way it is now, who knows what it will be like in 4 YEARS!
The best thing to do is get the good grades to make it into any college that you want so that way you can decide WHEN YOU ARE A SENIOR which of the (now) 26 certified CTI schools. (if you plan to go cti)
My other 2 cents is that if you were a senior now I would recommend that if you go the CTI route to choose a school that offers the Associates, get the degree and apply. THEN while you wait, and as you can see there is A LOT of waiting, finish you bachelor in any field (as posted earlier as backup)
wtf... get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich.

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
PS... if a off-the-street hire does open this October, or next Spring, when you take the At-sat, do your best but the best way to get a WELL qualified score is the end questions. I have proven this theory. I had a friend that took the test and got a 69.5 (just under qualified) He waited a year and when he retook the test got better than me by answering the questions at the end with ALWAYS yes or ALWAYS no. I put a few questions SOMETIMES yes SOMETIMES no. I still got WQ but trust me if you put all answers ALWAYS you are sure to get in the upper 90's. (ps i had a friend crash 4 planes on the scenario and still got 100 because of my statement above
and bring me a cold beer.