International Airport - Nothing to show

Localizer

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2011
South Asia
Hello, I am an Army controller with one CTO and currently working in afghanistan at an international airport. Mazar-i-sharif. We control mixed traffic; helicopters, AN124, 747s, even Tornado jets. My predicament is that we are working under the German's, since they own the airfield. I currently work both tower and approach control but not the 'B' flight data position because you must speak german.

I've been told by my 150A that under the circumstances we will receive no rating of any kind. This was after the Lt Col Senior Air Traffic Controller signed and stamped our pink cards, and even though he had told us this was okay, he later said it was not valid and is ordering new pink cards for all of us. We had an AVSCOM controller here for other reasons, and he told us since it was such a unique scenario we likely wouldn't get any rating.

I was hoping somebody could help me find a solution for this problem, my main focus is having some sort of credentials to show the FAA once I get out of the military. At least like a formal review from the german controllers, description of traffic, etc.

What forms, if any would the FAA recognize?

Localizer

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2011
South Asia
well my CTO is from a heliport and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row to better my chances, also my fellow comrades are concerned about it as well. Some who don't have CTOs

mtlatc

Epic Member
Oct 17, 2008
In a bus down by the river!
I'm not being a jerk when I say this: Be happy you have a CTO, as you know most USA controllers don't get one.

HARSH COMMENT: One day you might be competing for a job with your fellow comrades.......

Note: The author of this post is a Retired Military Controller currently employed with the FAA. He thinks your already have two applications to which you can apply. The CTO and the VRA. You getting a radar rating has noting to do with your selection (Beyond placement in a RADAR facility). Pay attention at Right Start and do the resume' right

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
That pink card is yours! It should have an entry for each facility that you were rated at so I would personally would not turn it over to someone for a blank one.

EricEmpire

Jun 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
Doesn't matter anyway. If you're smart, you're going to keep your ATC records when you get out, or at least a copy of them, and I know they're doing some kind of paperwork over there, so it has to be in your 3479-R. Put this shit on your resume, that's all the ducks you need lined up. As long as they can call ATSCOM and verify, you're fine.

I sent the FAA a copy of my CTO, which was my latest, which as you know, doesnt have my previous CTO listed, or my pink card ratings, so they have to take everything on my resume as fact, which they do.

Don't take that as license to say you were controlling UFOs and lassoing Raptors, but you know what I mean.