Iraq ATC

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
Whats up everyone, brand new to the site, been trying to read everything but theres way to much to remember... anyways about me, been controlling in the AF since 2005, get out in about a yr. I have worked at little rock afb only and deployed to Balad (camp anaconda), Iraq for 6 months oct 08-apr 09. CTO and current of course, im interested only in the iraq afghan jobs, so basically wondering when to start putting in the res's, dont want to be caught twiddling my thumb come the day after. any help is great! thanks guys and ill shut up and keep reading!
I'd put in your resume early (maybe 6 months out), that way you get to talk to the recruiter one on one. Then you can get in as soon as an opening happens.

Please don't be like a lot of others that are all gung-ho when they are 3 months from separating, then turn around ant try to make a bunch of demands just before an opening occurs.

Examples (these are real):
- I want to come, but I have to wait until after New Years (offer in October).
- I have to have it guaranteed that I get R&R in June or I won't come.

jwnewsome

I see you creepin'
Jan 15, 2010
KTYS
MikeATC

As I posted before...KBR managemnet has told me that they HAVE the contract for LOGCAP (IRAQ). They are trying to get people to fill the towers.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
It would be interesting to see what their offers entail? I'm in Afghanistan now, and my current contract is up in September.

ATC_IN

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2010
For the guys that have submitted resumes to KBR--Have any of you been contacted and/or received info? I haven't received a repsonse yet.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I was talking to someone that had recently been to Iraq and one of his major complaints was the lousy internet access, he said when they had access they were only allowed to be on line for one hour per day, and he was glad to be out of Iraq and in Afghanistan

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
For the guys that have submitted resumes to KBR--Have any of you been contacted and/or received info? I haven't received a repsonse yet.
I got an initial response making sure I met all of the requirements (passport..), but no offer or details on any location.

ATC_IN

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2010
I got an initial response making sure I met all of the requirements (passport..), but no offer or details on any location.
OK, that might explain it. I stated that I met all of the requirements. We will see. I hope Mosul is one of the locations since I've been there before and it was nice back in 04.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
OK, that might explain it. I stated that I met all of the requirements. We will see. I hope Mosul is one of the locations since I've been there before and it was nice back in 04.
Ooooo that'd be nice. I'm crossing my fingers.

jwnewsome

I see you creepin'
Jan 15, 2010
KTYS
It seems like the HR dept only works on Tues & Thurs morning because we are still waiting on them to contact someone...

skinsfan523

Rookie
Mar 28, 2010
I applied with KBR last month and got contacted maybe 2 weeks after that. Sent in my documents and am currently in the process for Iraq. Had to do a conference call and bunch of forms to fill out. Just waiting on clearance to be transferred now. They said you wont know which base you are going to until you get to Baghdad.

skinsfan523

Rookie
Mar 28, 2010
My recruiter actually said if I knew anybody with a CTO and was interested to give them his email or vice versa. If anyone is interested just pm me and I will give you his email. Just make sure you apply on their website first.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I got my phone call and did the conference call, waiting on my security to transfer from my present employer. Wont turn in my resignation until it does.

Hold_West

Rookie
Mar 24, 2009
Talked to the KBR recruiter yesterday and sat on the conference call today. Apparently they are actively recruiting...

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
With KBR I put in an application back in early march, but I specifically stated that I wouldn't be available to start until June 1st. I got a call 2 days later asking if i would drop everything and go to Iraq. I couldn't do it. I did get a call in early April again from KBR but I was on a cruise at the time. I did return the call but I haven't heard back from them. I think they are rather desperate based on the number of calls i received from them, despite the fact that I can't start until June.

ATCLawDawg

Newcomer
May 7, 2010
In Iraq you live on base. Here in Kosovo w/ KBR you can live on base (free) or off base (about 300-500 euro/month).

Boss told me today that KBR was awarded the LOGCAP contract for Iraq, so who ever wants to make some money better apply and have a sharp resume.

From the inside, yeah, they got 4 facilities, that makes 5 in Iraq now, they're already spinning up 39 controllers. Contract takeover begins 1 Aug. Ya better realise bef' ya get here that you'll be working 7/12's the entire contract. That's 84hrs a week ladies and gent's...NO break except R&R, the other contractors work 40 a week w/ a day off and the pay is MORE, not a whole lot morebut more non the less.

W/ KBR ur working about 100.1% longer hours for slightly LESS pay than the other contractors. And OH YES, there are pleanty of rockets to keep ya up day or night. Most people take this (KBR) while waiting to get picked up elsewhere (it's ALL about the money to be out here anyway (somewhat), right.

Turnover is high so ya better be ready to roll on a moments notice and know what ur walking into. They have NO idea what they're doing w/ this ATC contract and arein WAY over their heads. Just a word of advice from the inside.

ATCLawDawg

Newcomer
May 7, 2010
I'd put in your resume early (maybe 6 months out), that way you get to talk to the recruiter one on one. Then you can get in as soon as an opening happens.

Please don't be like a lot of others that are all gung-ho when they are 3 months from separating, then turn around ant try to make a bunch of demands just before an opening occurs.

Examples (these are real):
- I want to come, but I have to wait until after New Years (offer in October).
- I have to have it guaranteed that I get R&R in June or I won't come.
Just some advice, Get a personal Passport early to be ready to go (you have to turn in your Military one anyway), KEEP all your AF ATC training records, scan them into a file for safe keeping. Keep ur shot records and make copies. Scan all documents, ie, CTO Card, Resume', Passport, DD 214 (long form titled "Members Copy", SF 15, Birth Cert, etc to a file on a jump/thumb drive for easy access anywhere, any time, to be able to send ALL of it at one time to a Co'. Start networking, like u r now, and stay in the loop on current ATC contract info, if you already know someone here in Iraq or Afghanistan w/ a contract Co', try to get ther recommendation to pick you up. Oh, biggie, get a copy of your ?SF86? that you submitted for your Secret Clearance or have Security print you a copy and SCAN and SAVE a backup as stated above, for down the road, ya might need it, ESP for KBR, trust me on this. For KBR you'll need an ARMY Class 4, not our AF Class 2, IF you can get one anywhere being AF. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Just a word got an email from my recruiter with KBR , their proposing 50 hour work weeks in iraq.....

atclex59

Newcomer
May 22, 2009
After being informed by the OKC FAA Medical Section that there is no such thing as a Class IV ATC physical, I questioned Senior KBR Recruiter. It's the Army's equivalent of an FAA Class II physical. If you can pass the FAA Class II - then you'll have no problems with the Army Class IV. As to where we'll be able to get one while deployed to Iraq, someone will have to advise.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
The Class IV physical is given by an Army Flight Surgeon. It is more in-depth than an FAA Class II. You will have to get checked out by the one assigned to your base before you can perform ATC duties. If you are working for the Army which is what you will be assigned to when working on LOGCAP you cannot perform ATC duties on your Class II you have to have the Class IV.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
From the inside, yeah, they got 4 facilities, that makes 5 in Iraq now, they're already spinning up 39 controllers. Contract takeover begins 1 Aug. Ya better realise bef' ya get here that you'll be working 7/12's the entire contract. That's 84hrs a week ladies and gent's...NO break except R&R, the other contractors work 40 a week w/ a day off and the pay is MORE, not a whole lot morebut more non the less.

W/ KBR ur working about 100.1% longer hours for slightly LESS pay than the other contractors. And OH YES, there are pleanty of rockets to keep ya up day or night. Most people take this (KBR) while waiting to get picked up elsewhere (it's ALL about the money to be out here anyway (somewhat), right.

Turnover is high so ya better be ready to roll on a moments notice and know what ur walking into. They have NO idea what they're doing w/ this ATC contract and arein WAY over their heads. Just a word of advice from the inside.
LOL it took me until I got back from my first R&R to get used to these stupid 12 hour shifts. I'll never complain about 8s ever again in my entire life lol.