Iraq ATC

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I'm surprised to hear about KBR controllers working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, that goes against Army Regs unless there is a special designation that allows more than 10 hours and 6 days.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
What regulation are you talking about. You can work 12 if your at minimal maning this way the company does not have to hire more people they can get the work hours waiver per the 303 from ATSCOM

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
From what our management has said, we are restricted to no more than 10 hour days or 6 day work weeks where I'm at, which is an Army FOB in Afghanistan.

jwnewsome

I see you creepin'
Jan 15, 2010
KTYS
You can work 12 hours a day, but per the .303 you have to have approval from Airfield Commander/Manager & Ft. Rucker...especially with minimal personnel.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Exactly, thanks for the confirmation on that Jwnewsome. This allows the companies to not have to hire more people which in turn saves them money at least for a while..

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
Yep, saving money until all of the people leave because they are sick of working such messed up hours lol.

tee123

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2010
Anyone have current intel on the ATC jobs in Iraq? I know KBR has jobs on their website with no additonal info. I sent them an email but haven't received a reply yet.
KBR will work you 7 days a week for 12 hours, and only document 6 day work weeks. That is a fact. I currently work in the Baghdad ACC, contract held by WCG. That contract is up for re-bid. Only 2 companies bid, WCG and Serco, rumor is a decision will be rendered on Sunday. If you want to communicate more, e-mail me at t2000ss@ymail.com.

tee123

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2010
Just a word got an email from my recruiter with KBR , their proposing 50 hour work weeks in iraq.....
If you think you are gonna a 50 work week, you are a fool. American laws do not apply in Iraq. You WILL work 7 days a week for 12 hours. HAVE FUN.

tee123

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2010
I'm surprised to hear about KBR controllers working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, that goes against Army Regs unless there is a special designation that allows more than 10 hours and 6 days.
So you think Army Reg's will outweigh a contractors bid. American laws do NOT apply. JOin KBR and see. And by the way, HAVE FUN>

tee123

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2010
You guys that want to work for KBR are NUTS. They will work you to the bone, then drop your bone inthe soup.

tee123

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2010
From the inside, yeah, they got 4 facilities, that makes 5 in Iraq now, they're already spinning up 39 controllers. Contract takeover begins 1 Aug. Ya better realise bef' ya get here that you'll be working 7/12's the entire contract. That's 84hrs a week ladies and gent's...NO break except R&R, the other contractors work 40 a week w/ a day off and the pay is MORE, not a whole lot morebut more non the less.

W/ KBR ur working about 100.1% longer hours for slightly LESS pay than the other contractors. And OH YES, there are pleanty of rockets to keep ya up day or night. Most people take this (KBR) while waiting to get picked up elsewhere (it's ALL about the money to be out here anyway (somewhat), right.

Turnover is high so ya better be ready to roll on a moments notice and know what ur walking into. They have NO idea what they're doing w/ this ATC contract and arein WAY over their heads. Just a word of advice from the inside.
Belive what this man is saying. You are NUTS if you think this is the answer to your problems. It's just the beginning.

yankeeoscar

Rookie
Jan 7, 2010
KNEL
uhhh.....ok. I was really excited about getting in with KBR. WAS excited! FML, time to make some calls.

It's not rockets I'm worried about, but i damn sure aint working TWICE more than another PMC and getting paid LESS for ops in the same phucking combat zone! How on point is your info ATCLawDawg?

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
yankeeoscar he is correct. It is nice to get over here through them but they aren't best long term.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Its all a stepping stone thing Ladies and Gents. We all need jobs thats why we are here. Some companies are better than others and some are worse. I myself am heading to Iraq with KBR in the coming week. Being in the army deployed I am use to working 7/12 but lets be real here its not like your controlling traffic the entire 12 hours and its not like you can leave the base and go downtown to the movies or go to the local bar on any of these contracts. 7/12 while a lot it is what it is- a check for us to take care of what we need to take care of. I can vouch for what ATCLawDawg is saying cause I use to work for KBR in Kuwait as a controller. There has been talk of working less hours on these contracts but less hours means less pay so I hope were working 84's it keeps us out of the px lol from buying more crap that we dont need.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
Its all a stepping stone thing Ladies and Gents. We all need jobs thats why we are here. Some companies are better than others and some are worse. I myself am heading to Iraq with KBR in the coming week. Being in the army deployed I am use to working 7/12 but lets be real here its not like your controlling traffic the entire 12 hours and its not like you can leave the base and go downtown to the movies or go to the local bar on any of these contracts. 7/12 while a lot it is what it is- a check for us to take care of what we need to take care of. I can vouch for what ATCLawDawg is saying cause I use to work for KBR in Kuwait as a controller. There has been talk of working less hours on these contracts but less hours means less pay so I hope were working 84's it keeps us out of the px lol from buying more crap that we dont need.
Correct sir! Hey just wanted to say good luck up there and I hope to never see you in Kuwait again lol.

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I'd be willing to bet that the Army will put a stop to the 7/12's since it violates the Army 303 regulations. They can work you 7 days a week as long as you have 24 hours somewhere in the workweek. I doubt KBR is obtaining a wavier to violate Army regs.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I'd be willing to bet that the Army will put a stop to the 7/12's since it violates the Army 303 regulations. They can work you 7 days a week as long as you have 24 hours somewhere in the workweek. I doubt KBR is obtaining a wavier to violate Army regs.
Say what you will MikeATC but KBR was doing this back in 04 when I was in Kuwait and there doing it now as well as the company running Kuwait is doing it now and I am sure other contractors are doing it. I don't understand why people are complaining here, what else are you going to do sit in your container and watch tv, dvd's, surf the internet? Walk around the base? Go downtown Baghdad or Basra and check out the sites? Its work and it pays the bills. Deon? Hit me up on the pm I have a feeling I know who you are...