Iraq ATC

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Granted there isn't much to do, and some locations have the opportunity to go off base and explore. I admit that it is nice to have a full day to unwind and either just hit the gym, go to the coffee shop or just do nothing, so I for one wouldn't be thrilled to work long stretches without a break. I like the schedule we have already.

tighedye05

Jun 1, 2009
So I'm familiar with KBR, ITT, and midwest, but what is WCG and how many AOE facilities do they run?

xxDYxx

Jul 14, 2009
Kunsan
I work right next door to the WCG/Center controllers... WCG has the contract for BACC until December-ish 2010, after that it will go back up for bids. Last time arround it was Serco and WCG bidding. As far as life, I dont work for WCG so this is my "outside looking in" point of view, they work 10 hour days and hardly get days off. They cant seem to hire enough people, or at least get them to either stay/qualify... They live off base in a compound with a private contract security company, and Ive heard its a pain to get on base (for gym, shopping, extras...) as they dont have Military access cards anymore. Overall it seems kinda rough, even for Iraq, but theyre are making about four times as much as I do... soooo. Remember, Im an AF controller so this is just how thier life seems from my point of view, and from what Ive heard them say.

bstew88

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2011
You dont know KBR until you have been to IRAQ!!!:bowdown:
They are lousy to their employees. Granted other companies are also just out to make a profit as well but others tend to honor a contract compared to KBR which will drop you in a heartbeat or at the last minute.
Bottom line, have resumes submitted with all the major contracting companies because the bids have just begun for what will happen 'after' the war. :rockon:
State Dept rumored to get control of most locations that way there wont be a 'military' presence for both the American public and the Iraqi public. Got to love the American way. :usflag: MIDWEST, KBR, WCG and ITT all have some ATC presence in IRAQ right now and once the state dept bids come out, count on a short notice turn around to get over here. If you have a security clearance from former military service count on being here within 2 weeks. If no clearance count on a month or two if they want or need you; 6 months or more if they have a resume pool to choose from already.
Have friends with WCG in KIRKUK and MOSUL and they get incoming almost DAILY these days due to the drawdown. Gee, what a concept in a war zone. :starwars:

Want to be safe go some place like AL ASAD (ie camp cupcake) out in the desert with MIDWEST where they have not been attacked since 2005.

Want to get burnt out fast and not due to the SUN and 120 degree heat....go work for KBR!!:banghead: If you just need a job and work is work, apply with all and dont complain.:chill: A paycheck is a paycheck, especially considering what is NOT available back in the states.
Last time I checked, the hazardous duty pay was due to potential rocket fire not due to the internet connection being bad. :nopity:
Good Luck
;)

D

dgentry

Want to be safe go some place like AL ASAD (ie camp cupcake) out in the desert with MIDWEST where they have not been attacked since 2005.
I can say without a doubt that's not true. It received some mortar and rocket fire in the summer of 2006.

I was there. I know.

Granted that's still long enough ago and even then it was very sporadic.

uns4n3

Rookie
Dec 30, 2010
I've heard that ITT lost the ATC contract for Salerno, Jalabad, and Sharana to KBR.
I hope KBR has a crack team of controllers, who don't care about pay & working horrible hours, to replace all the ones who leave those facilities.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I hope KBR has a crack team of controllers, who don't care about pay & working horrible hours, to replace all the ones who leave those facilities.
None of them are leaving.... Especially if they know what's good for them with the economy the way it is back in the states.