Iraq ATC

garfield

Newcomer
Jun 25, 2011
I work for kbr in afghan. The iraq jobs are ending by the end of the year. 1-2 may stay open but most/all will be taken over by iraqis. KBR has 3 sites in afghan. The pay is low and they don't staff them adequately.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
KBR just took over in Afghan so how can you make such a broad brush statement that KBR does not staff them adequately? Does that not mean that ITT was not staffing them adequately to begin with before KBR took over?

siidman

Feb 13, 2009
They're trying to have the turn over by the end of they year, but if they meet this deadline, it will be the first time one has ever been met.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
KBR historically pays less than everyone else, when I worked OASL (Salerno) my base pay before uplifts was $27.85 with uplifts I was earning over $46 an hour , I'd be curious as to what KBR is paying their controllers there.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I believe KBR is payine the same in Afghan what there paying us in Iraq 5000 base with 75% uplift on the first 40 hours. The only reason there getting paid less than us is because per the AFCAP contract they can only work 60hrS per week. Iraq works 72hrs per week cause is under the LOGCAP contract

UGAfan

Apr 9, 2011
You can apply for ATC jobs in Baghdad through the SERCO Middle East website and the Flight Global site.
I spoke with a manager for SERCO and found out you need at least 2 years of civilian experience for Baghdad... and the Iraqi contract states no prior military will be accepted.

Bagydady

Newcomer
Jan 17, 2012
Montenegro
Most controllers here have at least 10 years of experience. The ex-FAAers are all retired. As for no military - There are plenty of ex Military. Both US Military, and Military from EU countries.

UGAfan

Apr 9, 2011
Most controllers here have at least 10 years of experience. The ex-FAAers are all retired. As for no military - There are plenty of ex Military. Both US Military, and Military from EU countries.
I have almost 8 years of experience with a deployment to Balad where I was Baghdad approach rated as well as Balad Center before it was handed over to Baghdad Center. I was told no because I have no civilian experience... is that not the case?

Bagydady

Newcomer
Jan 17, 2012
Montenegro
There are no Military ATC only controllers. All of the controllers from every country have Civilian ATC experience. Some of those also happen to have Military ATC experience or other Military experience. Balad and Baghdad approach have been combined into 1 sector. Balad is no more. SERCO sets the rules. It only makes sense to hire someone that actually worked the airspace. But they want the Civil experienced controllers to teach civil procedures (ICAO) to the Iraqi civilian students.