Is It Worth Attending a CTI School?

jeremiahj13

Rookie
Mar 7, 2014
Hello everyone! I was wondering if it is even worth attending a CTI school or if there is almost no chance of being called back once I complete my degree? What is your experiences with this? Thanks!

jeremiahj13

Rookie
Mar 7, 2014
Got ya! Thanks for the input guys! I know about the lawsuit, so I will take that as a no. I'll just try to apply when an announcement comes up again.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
A good rule of thumb is to diversify your resume. Don't put all of your eggs in the ATC basket when you don't have to. Lord knows a lot of people fell for college promises. A wise choice would be to pursue an education that you are interested in, but also has a stable hiring future and doesn't require medical certification. That way, if the ATC route doesn't work out, you can expect (or at least hope) to have a viable fallback.

bigbinger

Newcomer
Oct 7, 2014
Burnsville
I went to UND for commercial aviation initially. Thought I would be a bad-ass pilot. Got my leg messed up really bad the night before the commecial/instrument/multi-engine checkride. Instead of putting my flying on hold for a couple years I sidestepped to the ATC degree and got a BS in Aviation. It has worked out really well for me (except for the $50,000 private pilot's license), since I got hired with the FAA just a year or so after graduating.

If you're considering a CTI school I would strongly recommend a 4 year degree. It's much easier to get a job in the real world when you have a BS instead of an associates. If the ATC thing doesn't work out at least you have a 4 year degree. Plus, if you go to a real college like UND you can have a back-up plan like business, or nursing, or marketing, or computer sciences or something like that in case aviation doesn't work out. It would be a damn shame to get a two year degree in ATC, not get hired, and have to find a way to go back to school and get a degree in something else.

All that being said, it seems like the FAA is moving away from CTI schools. If I were to do it over again I would get a 4 year degree in something usefull like computer sciences and apply off-the-street. That way if I never got hired I could get a job in the real world, or if I did get hired and something happened to my medical I could find another job.