Is my career plan sound?

VP1

Newcomer
Oct 5, 2010
Hi all,
I'm looking for some guidance here if you have any to give. I just turned 25, have about 30 college credits under my belt, and am thinking about going to Mt. Sac for the cti program this spring.

I earned my private pilots license at 19 and love aviation- I really feel that being a controller would be a great job for me. I just feel like I have so little control over the hiring process that it makes me uneasy.

I don't have many years before I reach the 31 yr old limit so I plan on taking a heavy load at Mt. Sac to get my Cti course over with asap. Say I finish my cti program in a year and a half, do I have s good chance of getting hired somewhere?

I live in Socal but I'm definitely not too attached to here. I'll work anywhere, at this point I just want to get my foot in the door before I'm too old. Am I on the right track? Any input would be appreciated.
-Todd

GUY

Newcomer
Oct 10, 2010
Since you are not limited to one specific area your chances may not be too bad. At 26 and a half you still have 4 and a half years to play with and it is very do-able. Just be sure to do your research to see which states are in the biggest need for controllers and apply. Networking at facilities that interests you and are hiring sometimes helps. I also agree that you shouldn't take the CTI school too lightly, if able graduate as early as you can!

Goodluck.

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
there are a LOT of people in the pipeline right now pursuing ATC waiting to get hired, and very little hriing going on. starting from scratch i think its less than 50-50 of getting hired. there are a ton of CTI schools now for less and less jobs. it is my opinion that CTI school would be a waste of money, but obviously one can follow their dreams and it would put you in the best position to get hired. i think OTS going forward is done, and if you arent in the military yet its probably too late before youre 31. if you are truly passionate about ATC perhaps the military followed by DOD or contract tower jobs is the most realistic. there are thousands of well qulalified controller applicants waiting for prospective jobs as i sit here and type this today. the football game just ended...and it sorta reminds me of that mythical green bay packers season ticket waiting list...... is anyone actually getting in???
:nicethread:

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
I am a Mt. Sac student right now doing the CTI program. If you already have 30 units done then you can easily finish in a year. Just do any GE classes that you need during winter and summer and take all aviation classes during the Spring and Fall semesters. Your Private Pilot license will wave the ground school class, and the rest of the classes are really not that hard. Most of them overlap and you wont have to study that much. I am taking 5 classes, I have all A's, I get 100% on a majority of my tests and I hardly study. I also had my private before starting. I wish I had taken more classes this semester. This was also my first semester and even though I had a really late reg time I got all my classes. There are so many people that are not committed, they register late and dont get there classes. If I were you I would go for it. Mt. Sac is really easy. PM me if you have any questions about the Mt. Sac's program.

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
Oh and going on what Daniel said he is right about it being about 50-50 to get a job. Although I think you can improve that by networking. And as far as money goes Mt. Sac is not that expensive and as a pilot even if you dont get picked up for ATC it is knowledge that will help you be a better pilot.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Sounds like that school really challenges its students huh? Do you really want to graduate and not feel like you learned anything?

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
I live in Socal but I'm definitely not too attached to here. I'll work anywhere, at this point I just want to get my foot in the door before I'm too old. Am I on the right track? Any input would be appreciated.
-Todd

this will set you apart from everyone that wants to work where they grew up...

RC4524

Jan 8, 2009
YNG
My best piece of advice... don't put "anywhere" on your application. Network. Call facilities everywhere. Ask if they're looking for people. (Don't try to tell them all about your accomplishments and such UNLESS they ask - they won't be impressed. They may ask to see a resume, though, so have it handy.) Think outside the box - places that people will not be flocking to. You may just talk to a manager in an unpopular location who is excited to have someone interested in their facility and will help you out once you've made a referral list. Not guaranteed, but it IS how I got picked up. Fortunately, it was also where I wanted to go so I really lucked out. Good luck!

arons440

Newcomer
Feb 11, 2009
Houston
Why wait to finish your CTI? You need to meet one of the two following requirements to get hired.
3 years of general work experience
or
Have a Bachelors Degree.

Assuming you have 3 years of work experience. You should apply now and continue working on your CTI while you play the waiting game.

RC4524

Jan 8, 2009
YNG
Why wait to finish your CTI? You need to meet one of the two following requirements to get hired.
3 years of general work experience
or
Have a Bachelors Degree.

Assuming you have 3 years of work experience. You should apply now and continue working on your CTI while you play the waiting game.

That was only true for OTS which no longer exists. Now you have to be military or CTI. And even then you aren't guaranteed.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
You can not even apply without experience or a degree right now. Public announcements only have a short window to apply, that is if there is even going to be another one.