Is Sleep Apnea Disqualifying

Duke-Nukem

Newcomer
Jun 22, 2016
As the title says is sleep apnea disqualifying now or is there a medical waiver that you can receive?

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
It is disqualifying until you have a sleep study done saying that a cpap machine fixes your sleep apnea issues. There are several people that I work with that have sleep apnea. They all lost their medical for a month or so until sleep study was completed.

pinesolius

May 26, 2015
It is disqualifying until you have a sleep study done saying that a cpap machine fixes your sleep apnea issues. There are several people that I work with that have sleep apnea. They all lost their medical for a month or so until sleep study was completed.
What do you guys do when you lose your medical for a month? Take sick leave?

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
Yes. Though, they may let you work admin (non control related duties) instead, if they have a place to put you.

Duke-Nukem

Newcomer
Jun 22, 2016
Now if what if you already have a sleep study done and don't use a cpap? Will I need a new study done because i am going to a new facility?

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
Use a CPAP or you will be disqualified. DoD follows the same regulations that the FAA does regarding Sleep Apnea. I know the Air Force requires 90% usage through the month with at least 5 hours used per day. The FAA requires like 75% usage through one month with at least 6 hours used per night. I know this because I went through the entire Sleep Apnea process and multiple sleep studies. Use your CPAP, trust me. You will not get a around it. Here is a link to the FAA medical standards website.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item35/amd/apnea/

JumperBones

Reft crosed trafficah
Dec 22, 2008
Too sixah reft
So if you take leave for vacation, and lugging around a CPAP machine is impractical...do you then lose your medical since you didn't use it for two weeks?

Seems to me, don't get diagnosed with sleep apnea, no?

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
No one will know if you use the cpap or not. But if you know you have and don't tell the FAA you could be fired. There are zero negatives to getting diagnosed as long as it is treatable with a cpap. Sleep apnea is deadly if not treated. Do what you want with your career and your life. If it were me, I would get diagnosed and treated as soon as possible. Don't hide medical conditions from the FAA.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
No one will know if you use the cpap or not. But if you know you have and don't tell the FAA you could be fired. There are zero negatives to getting diagnosed as long as it is treatable with a cpap. Sleep apnea is deadly if not treated. Do what you want with your career and your life. If it were me, I would get diagnosed and treated as soon as possible. Don't hide medical conditions from the FAA.
Everyone that I know who has one says they are glad they got it and most wish they got it sooner.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

raw_dog

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2013
During my recent Class 2, the doc calculated my BMI and warned if it's over 40 you'll have to do a sleep study to show you don't have breathing problems at night. I've heard other docs order the study if you're over 45. Luckily I'm not quite that fat and don't snore anyway.

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
They will know if you use your CPAP or not. All machines record detailed usage logs for up to a year on the machine or for many years on the SD card. They can either download it from the SD card from your machine or if you use a newer wireless enabled machine, they will pull the data via the internet to ensure compliance. And yeah, like you said, you can die from not using your CPAP and having sleep apnea. Do the research.

OTS_Marylander

Newcomer
Jul 19, 2017
Maryland
Does it have to be a 6 hour per night average or does it literally have to be 6 hours every night? I'm trying to clear medical right now and some nights I do great with it and others I rip the mask off in my sleep; I have a problem with moisture from the humidifier building up in the hose and dripping on me in the night. I think I'll have at least a 6 hour average for this month but there are certainly outlier nights where I've only gotten 3 hours or so in.

Wrench978

Mar 23, 2015
ZSU
Does it have to be a 6 hour per night average or does it literally have to be 6 hours every night? I'm trying to clear medical right now and some nights I do great with it and others I rip the mask off in my sleep; I have a problem with moisture from the humidifier building up in the hose and dripping on me in the night. I think I'll have at least a 6 hour average for this month but there are certainly outlier nights where I've only gotten 3 hours or so in.

I believe they want to see 75% of of the month over 6 hours. if you're using it every night, I wouldn't worry about it. I was working a job that 2 nights a week I only saw 5 hours. I didn't have any problems. Is your humidity level adjustable? I have to adjust mine when the seasons change or I run into the same thing you described. I either wake up with a desert in my mouth, or my mask is dripping on me.