Is There a New Reinstatement Process?

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Can anyone explain how the reinstatement process works? I looked on the FAA website and came across https://www.faa.gov/jobs/atc_reinstatements/

I called the faciliary of interest like the website says and they don't have any idea how the process works. FYI level 12 facility. There is mutual interest from the facility (I have 2 CTO's, one from a level 12). I contacted HR but I'm sure that will be forever and a day to get a response. The other key is that I am coming back from a work related injury and have been in discussion with AMAS about my medical certification. AMAS believes I should be able to get medically cleared with a little work with the Flight Surgeon.

Is there a new process or something I'm missing?

Thanks for the help.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Can anyone explain how the reinstatement process works? I looked on the FAA website and came across https://www.faa.gov/jobs/atc_reinstatements/

I called the faciliary of interest like the website says and they don't have any idea how the process works. FYI level 12 facility. There is mutual interest from the facility (I have 2 CTO's, one from a level 12). I contacted HR but I'm sure that will be forever and a day to get a response. The other key is that I am coming back from a work related injury and have been in discussion with AMAS about my medical certification. AMAS believes I should be able to get medically cleared with a little work with the Flight Surgeon.

Is there a new process or something I'm missing?

Thanks for the help.
There has to be a bid out, as for anyone else. You'd think that HR would be scrambling to hire former FAA CPCs whenever possible, but it doesn't work like that. I got picked up on my reinstatement bid in January of 2011 and wasn't back at work until September of 2011. And I'm one of the faster re-hires I've heard of.

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Well, according to the facility they don't do reinstatement bids anymore. They have some other process. He first said the NCEPT program and then when I showed him the link he wasn't sure at all.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
There doesn't have to be a bid, those are gone. You submit your documentation and apply directly to the facility you want to be hired at. If they want to hire you, their ATM will submit your documentation with a referral letter. If selected you'll be sent a TOL with that direct facility. You can apply directly to as many facilities as you'd like. For the few people I've seen get hired through this, it's only taken a few months.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I believe FAA reinstatements are lumped into a bigger category of people with prior experience in ATC, including uniformed military, DoD civilians and FCT employees. Which is dumb, but hey, you remember what your employer was like.

I've never heard of what SayAgain3 is talking about, but it doesn't mean that he's wrong.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
I believe FAA reinstatements are lumped into a bigger category of people with prior experience in ATC, including uniformed military, DoD civilians and FCT employees. Which is dumb, but hey, you remember what your employer was like.

I've never heard of what SayAgain3 is talking about, but it doesn't mean that he's wrong.
He's 100% correct. They added it the HROI. Separated less than 6 months and you can only get your previous facility. Over one year and you can go to the ATM of any facility and have them hire you as a reinstatement

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014

Say again is totally correct. This new reinstatement process has been out for a month or two. If you have been separated less than a year I believe you can only return to a previous facility. Over a year you can apply directly anywhere you want.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
He's 100% correct. They added it the HROI. Separated less than 6 months and you can only get your previous facility. Over one year and you can go to the ATM of any facility and have them hire you as a reinstatement
I suspect this is going to create quite a revolving door between the DoD and FAA.

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Thank you to all. So I guess I need to explain it to the Support Manager at this facility because he wasn't sure of the new program. I will also send an email with an explanation and all my docs to the ATM. They were gone today when I called. I really hope I can make it back. As a side note: Don't ever get injured at work because the DOL/OWCP is a nightmare!!! Oh and get the UNUM, it would have saved me from losing everything(house,savings,everything in TSP)!!!

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
One last question for you GURUS... Since I have been out for awhile I know A LOT has changed in regards to ERR's and this new NCEPT thing. Does any of this have anything to do with reinstatement? Dose the facility have to be at a certain staffing percentage or what not to be able to even hire anyone through reinstatement?

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
One last question for you GURUS... Since I have been out for awhile I know A LOT has changed in regards to ERR's and this new NCEPT thing. Does any of this have anything to do with reinstatement? Dose the facility have to be at a certain staffing percentage or what not to be able to even hire anyone through reinstatement?
Your odds of getting hired to a specific facility go up greatly if...
9 or below - projected % below 100%
10-12 - projected % below the projected national average.

twinottercmk

Newcomer
Aug 14, 2013
Has anyone else been successful with this? When did this process officially roll out? I'm just trying to understand the timing of everything, especially with the April 28th prior experience TOL's floating somewhere in limbo.

Also, does anyone know where to find an updated list of ATM's email addresses? The employee directory is a little lacking.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Has anyone else been successful with this? When did this process officially roll out? I'm just trying to understand the timing of everything, especially with the April 28th prior experience TOL's floating somewhere in limbo.

Also, does anyone know where to find an updated list of ATM's email addresses? The employee directory is a little lacking.
Yes.
4/17/17
PM me the ATM's you want.

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
I'm finding it is not as easy as it seems. Many don't know about the program and there seems to be a lot of other players in the mix that complicate the issue. This has been my experience so far.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
I'm finding it is not as easy as it seems. Many don't know about the program and there seems to be a lot of other players in the mix that complicate the issue. This has been my experience so far.
It's still a relatively new process. Have the HROI ready and educate them when you need to.

thirtythree

May 24, 2011
Has anyone else been successful with this? When did this process officially roll out?
I was recently hired via this process a short time ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I found out about it from my old sup at the tower I quit shortly after I left.

maybemabee

Newcomer
Sep 7, 2017
I was recently hired via this process a short time ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I found out about it from my old sup at the tower I quit shortly after I left.

I just applied under this program and the ATM at my facility of choice says everything's been submitted to HR. He wants me there ASAP but, we're just waiting on word from them. What was your timeline like? Thanks!

(edit: I should add, I left a LVL 9 up-down a CPC in 2011, applied to a LVL 8 Tower)

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Anybody going through this now that wants to share? How long from your package being submitted until you heard something? How long to on-board? Anything you want to share?