Is Union Membership Required?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Well guess what I work at a 12 and its 68 bucks. I miss it because it could equal a lot of things every two weeks. Must be nice not missing 68 bucks every few weeks. Especially when it adds up to over 1200 bucks a year. I could do a lot with that money.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
AG Pay - $24.83
CPC @ Level 7 - $43.85
CPC-IT @ Level 9 - $54.95

Granted, there's variances in my weekly pay from CIC, Night Dif, OT, and Holiday that can boost it.

So unless you are work a 10 or higher, you can expect similar results. And again, you don't even know you are missing it.
Dues are 1.5 percent of base pay per our constitution. Your dues do not fluctuate based off of night differential,overtime, CIC, or holidays. Base pay does not include any of this.

The amounts listed above don't matter, its all relative, 1.5 percent is 1.5 percent. UNDgrad says he notices it...but what he doesn't tell you to put it in perspective is his check that the union takes 68 bucks from is more than $4500 bucks......

ATC'ers are some of the cheapest people I have ever met, its almost funny lol....MF'ers make north of 100k a year and bitch and moan about anything related to money, steal lunches, and then go out on a Friday night and drop 200-300 on a bar tab. It is ridiculous....lol.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
Well guess what I work at a 12 and its 68 bucks. I miss it because it could equal a lot of things every two weeks. Must be nice not missing 68 bucks every few weeks. Especially when it adds up to over 1200 bucks a year. I could do a lot with that money.
You're looking at your dues wrong.

Know what I do with mine? Give back to the union. I participate. I travel (on NATCA's dime) to conferences, training, classes, etc. I support the union on the whole, which is why I pay, but I make my dues money pay for me too. Far as I'm concerned, I get more money back through my efforts than I pay in.

Ultimately, if you care to have any positive effect on the NAS that has a controller's input, you should be in. Your opinion will actually count for something.

I don't just NOT miss my dues, I'm HAPPY to be paying in. I signed up with a reason and a purpose, more than just "oh-please-NATCA-defend-me-until-I-check-out-then-I'll-quit-and-free-ride-the-rest-of-my-career-while-I-only-bitch-about-things-I-could-possibly-influence-while-in-NATCA-or-I'll-just-join-management-without-actually-wanting-to-make-any-real-positive-impact -on-the-NAS."

No, I take pride in NATCA and the opportunities it gives me. Do I agree with your assessment of "defending the losers?" Absolutely... that's painful for me to watch. FWIW though, that's the Agency not following its own damned rules. If the FAA understood and handled progressive discipline (or handling training failures) like they wrote in their own book, NATCA would have a much tougher time walking all over them in virtually every grievance and arbitration.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
I don't know but the 68 on my paycheck looks like most other 68s I know. I got other things in my life I care about way more that politics or management/union bickering. I don't really care about the FAA imposing a rule like "don't leave early" or "no cell phones on the floor". I will follow the rule instead of trying to fight it like most Union people around here alteast.

Look I know the Union does a lot behind closed doors and in DC. Good for them. I just have a bad taste in my mouth because the local Union here at ZME has been basically crap. During my first two years we had two different people steal 5 figures from the Union. Yay! Go Union.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
My facility is not a cut and dry "do or do not" type facility, though they do exist. Your best bet, join until you are CPC then make up your mind. Personally I like being part of NATCA. If you want to go to a CFS conference they pay for it, and it seems they open a number of other doors, so while I may not normally be pro-union (having been a part of a couple REALLY SH!TTY ones), I do believe in NATCA.

That said, and a question from someone who has been around a while, what trouble is everyone talking about that NATCA can help with? Of course they do protect the lazy, weak, dumb, incompetent, habitually absent, etc. but what types of trouble do they have pull with when it comes to your run of the mill controller catching crap? Normally a DUI wont get you more than a slap on the wrist/week DQ'd, what are the things they really can help us with? (Sorry, but I have generally been a pretty good employee and enjoy having a 'friend in my corner' but like others, wonder what they can 'help us out with'...

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
I don't know but the 68 on my paycheck looks like most other 68s I know. I got other things in my life I care about way more that politics or management/union bickering. I don't really care about the FAA imposing a rule like "don't leave early" or "no cell phones on the floor". I will follow the rule instead of trying to fight it like most Union people around here alteast.

Look I know the Union does a lot behind closed doors and in DC. Good for them. I just have a bad taste in my mouth because the local Union here at ZME has been basically crap. During my first two years we had two different people steal 5 figures from the Union. Yay! Go Union.
This is the thing...

It's not "the Union," it's YOUR union, it's MY union, it's OUR union. If you don't like the shit that's going on, volunteer, get involved. If the officers/reps suck in your mind, run against them, get on the eBoard, CHANGE IT. I don't like the sound of it the way you describe it... but I can't do much about it because I'm not a BUM (i.e., member) at ZME.

You facility has a regular election just like every other local. That election counts for something. If you can demonstrate a willingness and ability to be a force for good for the controllers, you can get votes, get in, and make change happen.

I hope the people who stole from our union are dealt fairly with as the law requires, no more, no less. I hope your facility cleans up. But you can't sit on the sideline and bitch without at least TRYING to change things.

I can't imagine you're the only one feeling this way, but you gotta try, or nothing will ever change. And it's not just behind closed doors at DC... with NextGen, the opportunities to influence the NAS for decades to come are abundant, and I mean at the facility level. New equipment, technology, implementation, safety panels, procedure changes and negotiations... the system is so HUGE, and NATCA gets to be a part of it all, BY LAW. And if there's ever been a better time to be in NATCA, now is it. Our current contract, along with the evolving safety culture, underwritten by a positive labor climate shining out of DC... oh man, it's a beautiful thing.

If you raise your hand, you'll find something you like to do beyond just pushing planes. Something that can make a difference. Whether it's counting your local's beans and helping budget the members' money, repping your area, being an SME, volunteering for Pro Standards... well... I digress.

You can make things happen... go tell your colleagues how you want to see your dues spent and make it happen.

chris325ci

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
Try 68 bucks a check and yes I miss it. Mainly because I'm one of the good employees that will probably never need the union to have my back. But it's a decent insurance policy just in case. Plus it has other discounts you can get like 10% off your AT&T bill.

The biggest gripe I have is that the union has to waste their time protecting the losers I work around. When someone is late 10-15 minutes everyday and everyone knows it the union still fights to help that person out even though the person is a moron and deserves to be punished.

And thanks for the 30% raise I guess even though people who checked out a few weeks before me make like 25K more. And thanks for the A, B and C scale pay structure.
Just curious, what is this A,B, and C scale you are talking about? Green book, 1440, and redbook? If it was 1440, then that was only an 8% pay raise and based off of hire date, not check out date (given the premise of being hired under the green book).

BadPassportPhoto

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2011
ZTL
The only interaction with NATCA you will have while here is the NATCA meet and greets they have every couple months.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
My dues are 74.03$ / check.

I dont miss it at all.... 74$ is nothing. 5$ a day, omg! If they cost of the union bothers you, you are a giant j-e-w.

There are 100 reasons I'd leave the union b4 cost....
Now that PAC fund on another hand... I'm leaving that bad boy as soon as I figure out how.

TAJ

Trusted Contributor
May 16, 2010

I dont miss it at all.... 74$ is nothing. 5$ a day, omg! If they cost of the union bothers you, you are a giant j-e-w.
That's not offensive lol. And 5 a day adds up (I'm not saying that the union cost is too much/not worth it, but saying no to that cup of joe every morning can/does add up to quite a bit of spending cash)

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island

Now that PAC fund on another hand... I'm leaving that bad boy as soon as I figure out how.

Who's got 2 thumbs and is a Jew? This guy.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010

I could sit here and tell you why the pac is good, but I think MH at so-cal could do better. "F-IN NATCA". Just tell him you want to stop pac contributions lol.

irishatc

Jun 20, 2008

Sounds like you ought to run for rep

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
And thanks for the 30% raise I guess even though people who checked out a few weeks before me make like 25K more. And thanks for the A, B and C scale pay structure.
In 1998, NATCA got us our own pay scale. Before then, ZME paid new CPCs GS-14, step 1. You make at least $103,669 before locality and differential pays at ZME, an ATC-12 facility. GS-14, step 1 in 2012 is about $85,000.

In 2006, I was part of a group which had its pay cut by $30,000 while in training. You joined knowing the new pay scale, and NATCA got you back to the 2005 pay scale in arbitration in spite of you being willing to take the job for a lot less. Don't sweat it, you're welcome.

Your $1.6k/year dues for the next 25 years will cost you about $38k. Seems to me that NATCA got you about $30k added to your yearly base salary. But you're an awesome employee, and the rest of us dues-paying monkeys should just be grateful to work near you even if you leave the union for $140 more a month.