January 21st Green Book Rumor??

KCEchoDelta

Newcomer
Dec 29, 2008
Kansas City
What's the great big deal anyway

What, do you plan on spending the money before you get it or something.
If you have already applied then you have already made your decision, because the potential pay is way better than you are aleady making.
I can understand the vets wanting to get out after so many years of great money, the pay cut is a slap in the face to them. Not to mention their retirement is nearly the same as if they continue to work. But to the rest of us rookies out there the potential is great as are the benefits. If it happens then wonderful, but even if it doesn't we'll still be able to pay our mortgages and send our kids off to school. Look how bad others are and then count your blessings. Whoop de doo this rumor has made so many people's pockets hot that they can't wait to get dissappointed, I'll take it if it comes, and if not then I'll continue on the path I began and be happy to pay my bills and still have something to invest.

If it is only about the money good luck keeping your job, the elements will eat you alive, and you'll never get any good ratings to get the raise.

PCFunk

Rookie
Jun 16, 2008
Northern Colorado
Re: What's the great big deal anyway

What, do you plan on spending the money before you get it or something.
If you have already applied then you have already made your decision, because the potential pay is way better than you are aleady making.
I can understand the vets wanting to get out after so many years of great money, the pay cut is a slap in the face to them. Not to mention their retirement is nearly the same as if they continue to work. But to the rest of us rookies out there the potential is great as are the benefits. If it happens then wonderful, but even if it doesn't we'll still be able to pay our mortgages and send our kids off to school. Look how bad others are and then count your blessings. Whoop de doo this rumor has made so many people's pockets hot that they can't wait to get dissappointed, I'll take it if it comes, and if not then I'll continue on the path I began and be happy to pay my bills and still have something to invest.

If it is only about the money good luck keeping your job, the elements will eat you alive, and you'll never get any good ratings to get the raise.

Right on KC, gotta love the rumor mill. Its like some people think Obama is going to walk into the oval office on his first day, take his coat off take out a folder marked FAA FIX IT PLAN and pick up the phone and give an executive order.

A

Adam

Right on KC, gotta love the rumor mill. Its like some people think Obama is going to walk into the oval office on his first day, take his coat off take out a folder marked FAA FIX IT PLAN and pick up the phone and give an executive order.
What...that's not what is going to happen? Man...I've been mislead I suppose...lol

A

Ammolite

Agreed.

I see less people bitching about their grocery-bagging income than controllers who are all at level 11/12 facilities.

Disgusting.

HoustonATC

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008
Don't count on it! The contract committees are already being formed to negotiate the successor to the "White Book"!

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas

... some people think Obama is going to walk into the oval office on his first day, take his coat off take out a folder marked FAA FIX IT PLAN and pick up the phone and give an executive order.
Sweet can't wait for that. Come on "Light Green Book"!!!

A

Adam

Actually, I heard they were immediately going back into negotiations on Jan. 21st and that tentatively NATCA and the FAA have agreed to a 50% pay increase over what the green book was and they are going to make that retroactive from July of 2006.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL

Agreed.

I see less people bitching about their grocery-bagging income than controllers who are all at level 11/12 facilities.

Disgusting.
well, a guy at the grocery store doesnt deal with the stress we do. They dont have to worry about making one mistake and possibly killing hundreds. Most jobs are like online poker with free money... If you make a bad call who cares, no harm no foul. With ATC its your money and your future on the line every second you are plugged in. Not to mention the lives of passengers. Once you understand that you will change your mind. This topic has been beaten to death over and over again. When you actually see an ATC facility you will understand. Until then you are on the outside looking in. You have no idea but thanks for the opinions.

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
I heard they were going to give everyone 150 acres and a goat ( because... why not)

I also heard that the NATCA contract will be the SECOND thing he does...The first being a presidential order doing away with the bowl game system and fixing that fiasco.

Oh and then banashing the Patriots and Cowboys fans to some island far far away. That way they can annoy just each other and cry about not making the playoffs together..:cheers:

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I'll worry about it when my check goes up. Til then, I'm a lot more worried about learning my airspace and getting rated. You guys should do the same.

I make $38K a year and I knew that's what I was gonna make when I accepted the job. If it goes up, sweet. If not, oh well. I got a rating to worry about.

A

Ammolite

well, a guy at the grocery store doesnt deal with the stress we do. They dont have to worry about making one mistake and possibly killing hundreds. Most jobs are like online poker with free money... If you make a bad call who cares, no harm no foul. With ATC its your money and your future on the line every second you are plugged in. Not to mention the lives of passengers. Once you understand that you will change your mind. This topic has been beaten to death over and over again. When you actually see an ATC facility you will understand. Until then you are on the outside looking in. You have no idea but thanks for the opinions.
Hmmm..., not so fast.

For example -- my parents were medical professionals dealing with hundreds of patients a day in a high-volume ER (and later, owned a home health care business dealing with patients with AIDS/HIV, and the critically ill), and they had to worry every second of their shift whether their patients were going to die at their hand.
They saw more people die in a week than a controller most likely will in a lifetime, and never once did they come home and bitch about their income -- which was less than I'll make before I even hit CPC. They simply enjoyed helping people, and having an income that'd put a roof over our heads and dinner on the table. They had pride in that. But that's a rare outlook these days, where the world apparently doesn't only owe someone a living, but a second home, a Ferrari, and a yacht, as well.

You are merely proving my point that the vast majority of those who pursue this field are in it for the money, glory, and to feed their egocentrism. Even if you just added up the sheer amount of salary questions we get on this forum per week...

PorkBarrel

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008
Given our country's current economic and job market situation, I'm happy and grateful to be given this job opportunity; one that is relatively stable work at that. Yeah, I may not make as much income as my Dad when he was a controller in the FAA, but it's still good money and nothing to sniff at. I consider myself fortunate and lucky, because government work isn't the easiest to acquire depending on where you are.

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
I am def not in it for the money....I just want to control aircraft. I will be the first controller to do this job for free. Does anyone else think that in the future a lvl 11/12 CPC will make less money than they do now? Maybe a "orange book" or "pink book".

EchoBravo

Rookie
Nov 13, 2008
I am def not in it for the money....I just want to control aircraft. I will be the first controller to do this job for free. Does anyone else think that in the future a lvl 11/12 CPC will make less money than they do now? Maybe a "orange book" or "pink book".
I don't think it will ever be lower. That would be bs. It's already low enough.

Don't say you'll do it for free. You won't, trust me. That's mostly the reason pilots get paid garbage. I should know. I'm making 3 times what I made flying, working in a tower...on the crap pay scale. These guys go out and pay to fly for people and sell themselves out. Airlines know this, that's why everyone else gets paid practically nothing. People will do it for nothing. F that.

A

Adam

yes it is official..back to the green book on Jan. 21st...wear shorts and flip flops to work and approve sick and annual leave when you get there for other controllers.