July 2016 PTOL'S

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
Received my TOL, sent all my paperwork back within 10 days. Funny thing is, I scheduled a medical because I thought it said to have one scheduled 10 days after even though I didn't have my medical email.
Here's the best part. When going to the aviation examiner, she asked me for my papers, I realized I messed up and told her I never received them. I thought I would have to reschedule after I got my paperwork. NOPE. She said it's okay, she would request the info from the FAA while I was filling out some papers. Within 10 minutes, she made some calls and I got my medical email, filled it out AT the doctors office, and finished my medical and they sent it in. Total time was about a little over an an 1 1/2 hrs.
How did you get the phone number to call for medical?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RHaleem

Rookie
May 30, 2015
the number to set up your medical should be in pre employment letter. Call aerospace medicine at 847-294-7300 and they will tell you your local office to set up a medical along with the location. Then you have to call that office and set up the medical.

janp91

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2016
I've called that number several times with absolutely no luck. Left voicemails and no call back. Sent email and all I got back was a message telling me to call the same number and leave a message.. :(

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
I've called that number several times with absolutely no luck. Left voicemails and no call back. Sent email and all I got back was a message telling me to call the same number and leave a message.. :(
Same here

janp91

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2016
Same here

I'm gonna call back on Monday. I originally called on 1/7 and sent the email on 1/11. The emails said to two weeks before calling back again. So this Monday I'll call and hopefully this time around someone will call back *crosses fingers*

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
I'm gonna call back on Monday. I originally called on 1/7 and sent the email on 1/11. The emails said to two weeks before calling back again. So this Monday I'll call and hopefully this time around someone will call back *crosses fingers*

Doesnt it say to not call more than once? It also says that it takes alot of time for them to get around to getting to your appointment. Give it time.......i mean jeez, they probably only have 2823612636127 applicants calling one number right now.

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
Does anyone know why the medical takes so long to schedule? And why we don't get a number with the packet like everything else we did?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Does anyone know why the medical takes so long to schedule? And why we don't get a number with the packet like everything else we did?

Because there are thousands of applicants and probably less than five people trying to call everyone back to give them the phone number for their local flight doc. And I would imagine they don't give you a number because they need to verify your address to find the closest one to you, as well as if there are schedule restrictions. And then need to know when to submit authorization codes as I doubt they are valid forever.

wingman1

Rookie
Jun 13, 2015
Memphis,tn
Got the last thing done today.... The medical!! Everything else has been sent in two weeks ago! I think as far as the medical goes it just depends where u love how fast you get in. I called when I first got my paperwork and then a week later I emailed and about two days later I got an email and phone call to set it up a week later. Now it's just more waiting. But I feel good now that everything is done!

NBH

Newcomer
Apr 12, 2015
I still have not received pre employment paperwork. Are a lot of people still waiting on this?

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
Because there are thousands of applicants and probably less than five people trying to call everyone back to give them the phone number for their local flight doc. And I would imagine they don't give you a number because they need to verify your address to find the closest one to you, as well as if there are schedule restrictions. And then need to know when to submit authorization codes as I doubt they are valid forever.
O.k, but this applies to the mmpi-2 and the drug test as well and everyone gets those scheduled and completed in a couple days. That's why I was wondering why the medical itself is so backed up.

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
Got the last thing done today.... The medical!! Everything else has been sent in two weeks ago! I think as far as the medical goes it just depends where u love how fast you get in. I called when I first got my paperwork and then a week later I emailed and about two days later I got an email and phone call to set it up a week later. Now it's just more waiting. But I feel good now that everything is done!
Congrats

janp91

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2016
Doesnt it say to not call more than once? It also says that it takes alot of time for them to get around to getting to your appointment. Give it time.......i mean jeez, they probably only have 2823612636127 applicants calling one number right now.

I added a screen shot and I'm pretty sure the very last sentence says give it up to two weeks before leaving another message. So no, it does not say not to call more than once. Yes it does take time, but just like everyone else here, I wanna get it done. And yes, there are, as you put it, 2823612636127 applicants calling one number right now, but as with anything else in life, persistence is key. Thank you for your input though, I will continue to consider the obvious as I try to complete my process! [emoji39][emoji854]

CooterChism

Newcomer
Sep 27, 2015
I am still waiting on it... It's pretty discouraging seeing so many that have received theirs! Trying to stay patient

Bob Loblaw

Nov 2, 2013
O.k, but this applies to the mmpi-2 and the drug test as well and everyone gets those scheduled and completed in a couple days. That's why I was wondering why the medical itself is so backed up.
MMPI is done at a nearby facility and you coordinate with that facility directly. Each individual facility isn't being swamped with hundreds of calls.

Drug tests are scheduled through a 3rd party that already has the infrastructure because they also handle drug tests for applicants of multiple organizations. At least when I called I got options for southwest and other airlines.

The medical contacts are really just one person and their assistants. The leave a message and wait method obviously doesn't stack up against having a dedicated call center to field requests and that's where we get our wait.

I have no knowledge of how they actually handle it, but theoretically they are working as fast as they can processing people as they come in. Assuming your message isn't lost initially or over time, sending in repeated requests could result in:

1. The repeated messages are filtered out automatically and leaving multiple messages has no impact. This is the best case as it is efficient and reduces overall work allowing for better response times.

2. Somebody has to spend any amount of time sorting through the redundant messages. The range on how much this negatively affects response times really depends on the how much effort must be put into this task if it exists.

3. Getting a direct response. This seems unlikely as the calls appear to go directly to message now. There was some mention early on in the process of people calling in at just the right time and happen to have their call answered but it's unclear if this is still the case. This is a low probability situation so 1 and 2 could still occur if you fail.

Basically your options are a random chance you could get through really quickly, offset by the consequence that you may be doing nothing or potentially slowing down the process by some amount. I personally think situation 1 is very likely, but it's all hypothetical. Nobody can stand in the way of your decisions, but I wanted to present the other side of the "persistence is key" arguments

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
MMPI is done at a nearby facility and you coordinate with that facility directly. Each individual facility isn't being swamped with hundreds of calls.

Drug tests are scheduled through a 3rd party that already has the infrastructure because they also handle drug tests for applicants of multiple organizations. At least when I called I got options for southwest and other airlines.

The medical contacts are really just one person and their assistants. The leave a message and wait method obviously doesn't stack up against having a dedicated call center to field requests and that's where we get our wait.

I have no knowledge of how they actually handle it, but theoretically they are working as fast as they can processing people as they come in. Assuming your message isn't lost initially or over time, sending in repeated requests could result in:

1. The repeated messages are filtered out automatically and leaving multiple messages has no impact. This is the best case as it is efficient and reduces overall work allowing for better response times.

2. Somebody has to spend any amount of time sorting through the redundant messages. The range on how much this negatively affects response times really depends on the how much effort must be put into this task if it exists.

3. Getting a direct response. This seems unlikely as the calls appear to go directly to message now. There was some mention early on in the process of people calling in at just the right time and happen to have their call answered but it's unclear if this is still the case. This is a low probability situation so 1 and 2 could still occur if you fail.

Basically your options are a random chance you could get through really quickly, offset by the consequence that you may be doing nothing or potentially slowing down the process by some amount. I personally think situation 1 is very likely, but it's all hypothetical. Nobody can stand in the way of your decisions, but I wanted to present the other side of the "persistence is key" arguments
Thanks for trying to clear things up, but my original question still stands. why is the med not done individually like the mmpi-2 or through a third party like the drug analysis. In both of those classes the FAA has to send all your info, and approve payment in the case of the drug test. There seems to be no point in having 2 individuals trying to screen through thousands of calls.

pinesolius

May 26, 2015
Thanks for trying to clear things up, but my original question still stands. why is the med not done individually like the mmpi-2 or through a third party like the drug analysis. In both of those classes the FAA has to send all your info, and approve payment in the case of the drug test. There seems to be no point in having 2 individuals trying to screen through thousands of calls.

Because government.

Jeronamoe

Oct 14, 2011
I'm from the April TOL group and yesterday i finally got the call back after initially calling on Dec 11th, well over a month! I did however call yesterday morning for a 3rd time and it so happened that I got the call. My medical poc says he knows the dates of each time i called and emailed. He says there are 1500 applicants that need to be scheduled and only 7 poc's working on them. He says they are behind but trying to do the best they can.

janp91

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2016
I'm from the April TOL group and yesterday i finally got the call back after initially calling on Dec 11th, well over a month! I did however call yesterday morning for a 3rd time and it so happened that I got the call. My medical poc says he knows the dates of each time i called and emailed. He says there are 1500 applicants that need to be scheduled and only 7 poc's working on them. He says they are behind but trying to do the best they can.
Thanks! Idk about anyone else but makes me feel a whole lot better! Third times a charm, eh? Lol congrats on getting a call back! [emoji39]