July 27th 2018 OTS Bid Announcement

Daedalus

Rookie
Apr 6, 2017
"The Federal Aviation Administration is accepting applications nationwide beginning July 27 from people interested in becoming air traffic controllers.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens, speak English clearly and be no older than 30 years of age (with limited exceptions).

They must have a combination of three years of education and/or work experience. They are also required to pass a medical examination, security investigation and FAA air traffic pre-employment tests. Agency staffing needs will determine facility assignment, and applicants must be willing to work anywhere in the U.S.
Accepted applicants will be trained at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Active duty military members must provide documentation certifying that they expect to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the documentation is signed.

Interested applicants should visit www.usajobs.gov to start building their applications or www.faa.gov/Jobs for more information about air traffic controllers."

Taken from a post made on Patricia Gilbert's Facebook page. Patricia is the current VP of NATCA.

braymer

Newcomer
Jun 28, 2017
Do you know who is included in the exception for the 30 year old age limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
I've heard the FAA is looking for 5500 "qualified applicants" and may close the bid upon reaching this number vs. the bid being open for a specified number of days. Apply early, apply often...

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
Anybody know if I’ll have to re-take the ATSA? I passed last time but was never selected. Are they requiring applicants to take this test again? Or are they just accepting applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njeezy08

Rookie
Sep 21, 2017
^^Why would you not retake the ATSA? I was referred also but didnt get a TOL, but you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that a 70-79% grade would somehow be different this panel?

yoboiconnor

Dec 17, 2017
SLC, Utah
Second that, 100% retake the ATSA. I’ve heard they give you the option but that would be very unwise to do that especially since you know what’s on it and have an advantage this time around

JAR1

Newcomer
Jun 29, 2018
Just saw that the USAJOBS.GOV site will be down on July 27 from 6am to 8am eastern time for maintenance

Ochawgy

Rookie
May 11, 2016
FIRST TIME APPLICANTS (or repeats?)....

For anyone applying for the first time, use the USAJobs Resume builder and make sure you fill out all the required info in the job announcement! I made the mistake of attaching a PDF resume to a bid in 2016 and my application never moved past received despite having 5+ years ATC experience. Fast forward to 2018 when I took the time to fill out the USAJobs resume in DETAIL to ensure I hit main points in the job requirements, I've been accepted and am in the hiring process. I am 99% sure that I did not get picked up in 2016 because of my decision to use a resume other than USAJobs resume. Good luck to all of you applying; you've got a long road ahead of you.

ponooo3

Newcomer
Jul 23, 2018
Hello everyone. Not sure if anyone would know, but I just scheduled my ATSA for the N90 bid. Should I even bother also applying for the the 7/27 bid, or should I give it a shot, and maybe use a different address from a different state? Any information would be great, or if you can point me to a thread that may have covered this. Thank you.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Hello everyone. Not sure if anyone would know, but I just scheduled my ATSA for the N90 bid. Should I even bother also applying for the the 7/27 bid, or should I give it a shot, and maybe use a different address from a different state? Any information would be great, or if you can point me to a thread that may have covered this. Thank you.
It won't hurt anything. Go ahead and apply. Using the same address won't matter, you'll be fine.

defconxzero

Newcomer
Nov 16, 2016
^^Why would you not retake the ATSA? I was referred also but didnt get a TOL, but you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that a 70-79% grade would somehow be different this panel?
I called HR and they said your scores are good for 3 years so you dont have to retake..
but just curious... and this is not facetious.. but what makes you state 70-79%? are you aware of a rubric which is used for hiring which the rest of us are not?
unless there is such a rubric, and you know your own score, which no one does, then there's no way to tell if it is wise or unwise to retake or not retake except if you were NOT referred then it is logical to assume you did poorly on the test and should retake. however when you retake, the new score sticks...

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I called HR and they said your scores are good for 3 years so you dont have to retake..
but just curious... and this is not facetious.. but what makes you state 70-79%? are you aware of a rubric which is used for hiring which the rest of us are not?
unless there is such a rubric, and you know your own score, which no one does, then there's no way to tell if it is wise or unwise to retake or not retake except if you were NOT referred then it is logical to assume you did poorly on the test and should retake. however when you retake, the new score sticks...
If you didn't get a TOL, the score you got on the ATSA was not good enough to compare to those that did receive a TOL. It's most definitely in your best interest to retake the ATSA.
ATSA scores are from 70-79.99% which is Band 2, and from 80-100% which is Band 1. HR has access to your scores, but have been instructed to not tell the applicants under any circumstance. They will only dip into the lower tier of scores if they need to.

defconxzero

Newcomer
Nov 16, 2016
If you didn't get a TOL, the score you got on the ATSA was not good enough to compare to those that did receive a TOL. It's most definitely in your best interest to retake the ATSA.
ATSA scores are from 70-79.99% which is Band 2, and from 80-100% which is Band 1. HR has access to your scores, but have been instructed to not tell the applicants under any circumstance. They will only dip into the lower tier of scores if they need to.
gotcha.. do you have any more wisdom on the age 31+ exceptions?

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
gotcha.. do you have any more wisdom on the age 31+ exceptions?
If you've held a 2152 (air traffic) job prior to reaching 31, but you're now past 31, you'd qualify up to age 36 I think. FAA reinstatements would qualify. Settlement agreement people would qualify depending on how their settlement is worded.
Maybe a few other rare cases too.

KeelowJay90

Dec 4, 2014
'Merica
49 U.S. Code 44506 F 3

"Notwithstanding section 3307 of the title 5, the maximum limit of age for an original appointment to a position as an air traffic controller shall be 35 years of age for those maintaining 52 weeks of air traffic control experience involving the full-time active separation of air traffic after receipt of an air traffic certification or air traffic control facility rating in a civilian or military air traffic control facility."

(f) also provides the updated provision on FAA hiring including age waivers for open bids, which unfortunately, only applied to the 2017 open bid.

Sucks, man.

KeelowJay90

Dec 4, 2014
'Merica
Need to prove that you've worked live traffic for 52 weeks post certification, or held a facility rating in either DoD, Military, or FAA facility within five years of applying if you're lookin for that age waiver.