Jumpseat/Travel Benefits (FAM)

heineken81

Rookie
Sep 4, 2008
That is correct. But if you are traveling on another carrier you must be in CASS.
I agree....and keep in mind there is a difference between cabin jumpseating and cockpit jumpseating. If you are hitching a ride on your own airline with a seat in the back, that's different. But on a different airline, you need to be in CASS regardless nowadays.

illogical

Oct 4, 2008
orlando
I agree....and keep in mind there is a difference between cabin jumpseating and cockpit jumpseating. If you are hitching a ride on your own airline with a seat in the back, that's different. But on a different airline, you need to be in CASS regardless nowadays.
its even a requirement that you fam ride 5hrs a yr in cockpit for 121 dispatchers.. No confusion on where i was sitting many times. It was in the most uncomfortable seat in the plane..

heineken81

Rookie
Sep 4, 2008
its even a requirement that you fam ride 5hrs a yr in cockpit for 121 dispatchers.. No confusion on where i was sitting many times. It was in the most uncomfortable seat in the plane..
Been there, done that for the past 4 years. You would think gate agents would have half a clue about it by now....Thank goodness my company was able to get us dispatchers in CASS.

aviator

Jun 18, 2008
NH
Fully aware. I am the manager of dispatch for a major and the jumpseat coordinator for the airline. Some carriers including us, if you are not in CASS you can still fill out the jumpseat form (if we have a reciprocal agreement), but have to ride in the cabin. We have agreements with 135 guys that are not in CASS, but they can still jumpseat as long as there is a seat in the cabin. It is still classifed as jumpseating to avoid them having to pay an interline fee.

aviator

Jun 18, 2008
NH
Been there, done that for the past 4 years. You would think gate agents would have half a clue about it by now....Thank goodness my company was able to get us dispatchers in CASS.
Gate agents still have problems understanding the system!! I don't think they will ever get it!!

heineken81

Rookie
Sep 4, 2008
Fully aware. I am the manager of dispatch for a major and the jumpseat coordinator for the airline. Some carriers including us, if you are not in CASS you can still fill out the jumpseat form (if we have a reciprocal agreement), but have to ride in the cabin. We have agreements with 135 guys that are not in CASS, but they can still jumpseat as long as there is a seat in the cabin. It is still classifed as jumpseating to avoid them having to pay an interline fee.
Yeah I've jumped on lots of majors including a couple international flights. I think what you described is fairly standard in the industry. But as long as gate agents are under paid, under-trained, unmotivated and cranky employees, there will always be problems lol. We have countless reciprocal agreements; but that can mean nothing when it comes between you and a gate agent's power trip. Whatever happened to Captain's final authority? :bs: :)

illogical

Oct 4, 2008
orlando
we had the ability to get in cass but living here in a hub city i just nonreved.... i just never put the effort into getting in cass even though i have the passport etc.... matters not now though i guess, first day okc is day after tmro.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Does anyone have any updates on if Sturgell is having any luck getting this back?

I haven't heard anything since his "I want to work to get it back" MONTHS ago.

VBeachR32

Nov 10, 2008
Does anyone have any updates on if Sturgell is having any luck getting this back?

I haven't heard anything since his "I want to work to get it back" MONTHS ago.
They told us at the academy that this program was coming back. There was something on the MyFaa website a couple weeks ago about it. It was a speech by Sturgell I think where he talked about the great job the FAA was doing and projects in the pipeline. Im gonna see if I can find it and get a link

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
when I was leaving OKC after RTF i walked up to the cockpit as I was boarding and starting talking to the pilots. he pulled out his book for the jump seat rules and said I had to write the director of HR for the specific airline in order to get permission. After talking to my union rep, he said it wouldn't be a good idea because the FAA might take it as though I was sneaking behind their back or something.

As far as any other perks, you can use your FAA badge to use the first class security line. At OKC, not a big deal, but at places like Atlanta, it was definitely beneficial.

meatasaurusx

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2008
Chi-town
As far as any other perks, you can use your FAA badge to use the first class security line. At OKC, not a big deal, but at places like Atlanta, it was definitely beneficial.
I thought that you were not allowed to use your FAA badge in the airport, although it does make sense. Maybe they meant our academy badges, but I swear they told us that it wouldn't get us through security any faster. does that mean you don't have the liquid restriction if you go through that line? and could my wife benefit from that as well, or would she have to wait in the normal line?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I thought that you were not allowed to use your FAA badge in the airport, although it does make sense. Maybe they meant our academy badges, but I swear they told us that it wouldn't get us through security any faster. does that mean you don't have the liquid restriction if you go through that line? and could my wife benefit from that as well, or would she have to wait in the normal line?
My friend who is a controller has used it to get through airport security lines himself. He was able to take his wife to the front of the line as well, although I don't know if that is standard policy or if the person just chose to let them both through. It also gets you a discount at just about everything in the airports, from food, to shops, to bus travel home.

While I was visiting my controller friend in Utah he said the jump seat is something they are trying to get back, but from what they have heard is that the rules would be very different this time around. It was originally thought of as a training tool to share information, but it got abused. The talk is that the jump seat may come back, but you won't actually be able to pick your destination. Basically you would sign up to travel via the jump seat and you'd be assigned a flight you can go on for the learning experience. You won't be able to pick and choose your destinations so people won't be able to use it for vacations, etc.

A

Ammolite

My friend who is a controller has used it to get through airport security lines himself. He was able to take his wife to the front of the line as well, although I don't know if that is standard policy or if the person just chose to let them both through. It also gets you a discount at just about everything in the airports, from food, to shops, to bus travel home.

While I was visiting my controller friend in Utah he said the jump seat is something they are trying to get back, but from what they have heard is that the rules would be very different this time around. It was originally thought of as a training tool to share information, but it got abused. The talk is that the jump seat may come back, but you won't actually be able to pick your destination. Basically you would sign up to travel via the jump seat and you'd be assigned a flight you can go on for the learning experience. You won't be able to pick and choose your destinations so people won't be able to use it for vacations, etc.
If the FAA found about your controller friend using his badge for discounts, there would be some trouble.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
If the FAA found about your controller friend using his badge for discounts, there would be some trouble.
And you know this how?

Some businesses in airports provide discounts to airport employees, including FAA.

So I guess me using my ID as proof of employment to get my discount with my cell phone company is bad too? I think not.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Airports consider people who work for the FAA as employees(Same reason they are able to use employee lines through security checkpoints)....I don't see why that would be a problem? They get the same perks as pilots, TSA, or anyone else who works there.