Jumpseating

mturnbeaugh

Jun 19, 2015
Anaheim, CA
I dont think so, one of my professors said thats just for pilots and employees of the airlines themselves. after 9/11 a lot of the privileges were revoked.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
Yes we can on airlines with us in CASS. Plenty of people here have done it, including myself. The process was restored around 2011-2012.

It more restrictive than it was.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Look for the thread titled "FDT" and you should find some answers to potential questions in there.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
All these people saying you can't don't know what they are talking about. The program is called Flight Deck Training. Like someone said earlier, it's more restrictive than pre-9/11 (you can't just show up and say hey i'm a controller can i sit up front?) but it's not all that hard to sign up for it. Worst part about it though is you can't have facial hair, and I refuse to shave my beard.

AstridAstros

Rookie
Sep 24, 2015
All these people saying you can't don't know what they are talking about. The program is called Flight Deck Training. Like someone said earlier, it's more restrictive than pre-9/11 (you can't just show up and say hey i'm a controller can i sit up front?) but it's not all that hard to sign up for it. Worst part about it though is you can't have facial hair, and I refuse to shave my beard.
From what I understand, this is very restrictive and has to be considered training - not just using it to travel whenever you'd like. And not very reliable as the captain can always say no.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
From what I understand, this is very restrictive and has to be considered training - not just using it to travel whenever you'd like. And not very reliable as the captain can always say no.

The old way was considered training as well. The restrictions aren't major, they just made it so you can't get a free weeks vacation from doing it because people were abusing the old way.

Homsar

Rookie
Jun 23, 2014
Here's a question: If we FDT, are we only in CASS for that FDT, or could we sit in the jump seat on a non-FDT flight?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Here's a question: If we FDT, are we only in CASS for that FDT, or could we sit in the jump seat on a non-FDT flight?
Per the rules, you are only to sit in the jumpseat when you have been approved for flight deck training.