Just Got an Email from ACD

dreweepoo

Jan 20, 2012
They pointed out the work experience MUST be full time
Pretty sure you can pro-rate both education and work experience. Just have to compare to the qualifying requirements. It doesn't say the work must be full time. It says 3 yrs of full time work experience. Big difference.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Pretty sure you can pro-rate both education and work experience. Just have to compare to the qualifying requirements. It doesn't say the work must be full time. It says 3 yrs of full time work experience. Big difference.
I recall a source that basically confirmed this recently. I'll try to find it in a little bit.

Dec 23, 2013
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
Wow. Phillyhandjob find this very intriguing....the FAA's requirements are changing on a daily basis. Phillyhandjob thinks that we won't know what the FAA actually wants until the application goes up on Monday. There has been so much conflicting information that Phillyhandjob is sufficently confused, and has little question marks bouncing around on the top of his Phillyhead.

Hopefully for my Phillyfriend's sake they will consider part-time employment as a fraction of some sort. Phillyhandjob has seen the formulas, but who knows if they will actually use them or not. Hopefully the Phillyfriend's 6.5 years of part-time work (approx 25 hrs/week) qualifies him.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
What type of job or academic experience should I have to become an Air Traffic Controller?

"You must have three years of progressively responsible work experience, or a Bachelor’s degree, or a combination of post-secondary education and work experience that totals three years.
Most types of paid or unpaid employment will provide progressively responsible experience, as you learn about the organization, gain knowledge about the work, and demonstrate responsibility. "

*Insert Jackie Chan wtf meme*

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
That settles it then, I know what I'll be doing for the next 2 years! I didn't feel all that sorry for two year CTI schools, but now I REALLY do. Ain't that a kick in the head.

I haven't really given calling Aviation Careers any thought, but I might try tomorrow to see what the hell they really mean. That "we understand this is a change" bit doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Oh well, time to adapt.

Fingers crossed you can still convert part time to it's full time equivalent.

Last edited:

dreweepoo

Jan 20, 2012
Yeah the kids just got an email that said full time now....
I think yall are reading this wrong. Three yrs of full time work experience does not mean the work must be full time. It means you must have experience that equates to three years of full time work

GS3k

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2013
This year the FAA will be opening a general recruiting announcement seeking applicants from the general public who have no air traffic control experience. According to the FAA, this is to add “more depth and diversity to our controller hiring sources".
Per Forbes. +1 to the person who posted the article too, interesting to see an outsider's perspective. I told a few of my friends who I believe have the aptitude to do the job and they all declined to apply citing that they wouldn't want to work such a highly stressful job or just the fact that they are already happy with their job duties, location and income (despite it not being as much as a controller).

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Just make sure you have a least 3 years of full-time work experience whether work, education, or both. To be honest...ATC is just one of those careers that either you have a passion for it or not. I don't think as many people will apply as we think mainly because most people don't want to leave their somewhat secure jobs for a job in which you may not make it pass the academy. lol.

smitty16s

Trusted Member
Jan 23, 2009
Just make sure you have a least 3 years of full-time work experience whether work, education, or both. To be honest...ATC is just one of those careers that either you have a passion for it or not. I don't think as many people will apply as we think mainly because most people don't want to leave their somewhat secure jobs for a job in which you may not make it pass the academy. lol.
I disagree with that. A lot of the passion can be determined by the work environment. I've loved working traffic more than anything at some points in my career and despised it at some points. The wrong boss or crew can make life hell

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Yea and kids that sign up to go to college for it tend to have a decent passion for aviation...

Dec 23, 2013
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
I don't think as many people will apply as we think mainly because most people don't want to leave their somewhat secure jobs for a job in which you may not make it pass the academy.
To those who are interested in a career in ATC and just learning about the hiring process, etc: this is something important to know. And from what Phillyhandjob hears, they are making the academy tougher. Don't forget that you could always wash out at your facility as well. Don't leave your old job on bad terms ;)

Phillyhandjob thinks that the uncertainty of location and inability to choose will keep other applicants out as well.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
It should be noted it continually mentions location preference would be considered. My money is this would pertain more to place like Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, etc.