Just Got My TOL

Ragz

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2019
I am not really happy with the offer I received and I have no experience on negotiating salary. Can someone please guide me on how to negotiate for a higher pay? Will I have to decline the TOL and state the reason is because of the salary?
Thanks in advance for the help!!

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
I am not really happy with the offer I received and I have no experience on negotiating salary. Can someone please guide me on how to negotiate for a higher pay? Will I have to decline the TOL and state the reason is because of the salary?
Thanks in advance for the help!!
So, first DO NOT DECLINE the tentative offer. Once you do, that's it - Game Over.

If you want to negotiate, call (or email) the person on the TO and let them know you would like to negotiate the start salary. Suggest an amount that is fair based upon your prior employment, training, or experience. Sometimes you may be asked to submit documentation to validate the increase in pay.

My personal experience with negotiation of start salary:

TO was made, I countered for a $8K increase, they countered with $4.5K and I accepted (mind you this took about a month to hash out) because I wanted to start working.

Keep in mind that once you start, in order for you to be a "Certified ATSS" or "watch stander" depending upon your facility, you should get promoted to H band rather quickly - usually 1 to 2 years if your manager is pro active.

Do a search for H band under your facility locality pay - that's what you will be making in a few years.

Let us know how it goes,

Scotter