Kansas City Center - ZKC

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Re: Olathe Kansas Center

I was @ Whiteman AFB, East Of Kansas City. We dealt with them on a daily basis. Even had some people go there. Normal center stuff I guess. Not as crazy as the rest of the centers, but its a center. Every I know who went there didnt really enjoy their time... but I dont have any first hand experiance.

chsmith

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2009
Kansas City, MO

Yeah there was another guy who interview the same day as I. And I have a friend that got ZKC and he also interviewed there as well. I guess I just thought it was the norm...

blakeh

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2009
SLN

Yeah there was another guy who interview the same day as I. And I have a friend that got ZKC and he also interviewed there as well. I guess I just thought it was the norm...
interesting. Maybe it is the norm for that facility. Thats a smart facility manager to wanna interview his staff before they come his/her way!

tkzkc

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2009
awesome facility. been here for almost 7 years. the training program isn't bad. we have 6 different areas. Some areas have more low altitude then others. The one I work in doesn't have a lot of low altitude airspace. The surrounding area is good.

tkzkc

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2009
Staffing is pretty good. Some areas get a lot of overtime but others don't. My area is pretty good staffed so we don't see OT as much. It's a pretty good facility.

B1rd

Newcomer
Jan 18, 2009
Just wondering if there are any other opinions on ZKC? I'm at ZAB and am looking for a transfer / swap to either ZKC or ZFW, preferably ZKC. Life is good at ZAB so I would hate to trade for a facility where everyone is miserable.

ekd

Rookie
Aug 6, 2011
Prairie Village, Leawood, Mission Hills = pricier and further away from the facility.

Olathe has it's questionable spots (nothing entirely dangerous, just a lot of white trash that collects in a few pockets), OP is huge and variable, from the rich 'burb moms with their new SUV's to much more working class spots and everything in between. I went to Shawnee Mission schools - they're quite nice, especially SM South and SM NW. East is known as the rich kids. Blue Valley NW area is going to be some of the richest area.

Further east is more expensive, further south is going to be more expensive (to a point), the very northeastern edge (south of mission) is old money pricey, and very nice. The home values there are similar or maybe even a bit less than the new mcmansion's in south OP and olathe areas, but south of 135th is pretty far south (imho), and personally, I prefer the inside 435-loop areas of lenexa and shawnee, as far over as the central resource library and SM west (which is pretty far east). The older neighborhoods around pflumm and 435 over to about metcalf and sm parkway are a more family friendly, reasonably priced (but not dirt cheap) good area.

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC
Damnnn didn't know there was actually a few people with ZKC TOL's on SM...been trying to network early for awhile but couldn't find anyone. Any of you guys from the KC area? I was born and raised in Topeka, KS and planning on just doing like 5 years or so at ZKC before I transfer.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Damnnn didn't know there was actually a few people with ZKC TOL's on SM...been trying to network early for awhile but couldn't find anyone. Any of you guys from the KC area? I was born and raised in Topeka, KS and planning on just doing like 5 years or so at ZKC before I transfer.
If you want to work somewhere it's generally not advised to let them know you only plan using them as a stepping stone.

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC
If you want to work somewhere it's generally not advised to let them know you only plan using them as a stepping stone.
Touche' and good point...although if someone is bias towards me because I plan on diversifying my FAA career and only stay at my first facility for 5 years or so...well then that is sad! I mean I do plan on AT LEAST 5 years....that's a long time!