KBR flying me to texas tomorrow

Eman1193

Jan 9, 2011
KBR sent me a job offer in Iraq... Im supposed to start processing monday, anyone else heading there sometime soon? Also what can I expect ? What are the conditions like in Iraq ? Also, I just got out of the Marines and they said I did not need to get an FAA flight physical as they would have an army doc give me a class 4 before I could work.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
Have fun in Texas! The in-processing is tedious but not too bad. Don't know what it's like in Iraq now.

xGIOx

Rookie
Oct 4, 2009
KBR sent me a job offer in Iraq... Im supposed to start processing monday, anyone else heading there sometime soon? Also what can I expect ? What are the conditions like in Iraq ? Also, I just got out of the Marines and they said I did not need to get an FAA flight physical as they would have an army doc give me a class 4 before I could work.
If you don't mind me asking, numerous figures have been thrown around as per pay. How much did KBR offer you?

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
KBR does not pay you while you are at their facility in Texas training/processing. I know that they offered me $32 an hour to work in Afghanistan, and I turned them down, my last contract paid over $47.

Eman1193

Jan 9, 2011
72 hours of work per week. In keeping with FAA guidelines, they are allowed a maximum of 8 hours per day tower duties, and must take one day off per week. Additionally, they are allowed an additional 4 hours per day for other ATC-related duties. Based on a 72-hour work week, the anticipated weekly pay would come to a little over $2,470/week. The first $92,900 earned within a year’s time would be exempt from federal income tax, provided that you remain on foreign soil for a minimum of 330 days out of the contract year.

xGIOx

Rookie
Oct 4, 2009
72 hours of work per week. In keeping with FAA guidelines, they are allowed a maximum of 8 hours per day tower duties, and must take one day off per week. Additionally, they are allowed an additional 4 hours per day for other ATC-related duties. Based on a 72-hour work week, the anticipated weekly pay would come to a little over $2,470/week. The first $92,900 earned within a year’s time would be exempt from federal income tax, provided that you remain on foreign soil for a minimum of 330 days out of the contract year.
As per the number you provided and assuming anything in excess of the non taxable income is taxed at 30%, you are looking at roughly $117,778 total take home. Is this about rite for what is being paid out there? When I did my paperwork in 2004/2005 Midwest was paying $125,000 plus bonus. Either way I'm not knocking you just trying to clarify some stuff is all.

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I received the same offer, but I'm asking for clairification on whether the 75% uplift is in addition to their salary offer or already figured into the offer. KBR's base salary is $14 an hour less than what most other companies offer for working in Afghanistan, but if the uplift is in addition to the base salary then their offer is awesome.

rustyallen22

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2010
Dallas
the 75% uplift is on the first 40 hours of work, that is on-top of the base salary. After the first 40 KBR basically keeps that and your paid straight time.

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
The person trying to recruit me is telling me that KBR employees receive overtime plus the 75%. When I worked for ITT they did not pay overtime (paid only base salary) or the uplift for any hours worked beyond 40 hours.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
KBR does not pay any overtime. That recruiter is totally lying to you. Its all straight time with the uplift only going to the first 40 hours of work. Technically by the contract all contractors are suppose to pay uplift on all hours worked but KBR found a loop hole in the contract hence why you see people over here working 84hours and controllers working 72. Other agencies have controllers working 60 hours uplift paid on all of it. Not KBR...

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Other agencies have controllers working 60 hours uplift paid on all of it. Not KBR...
Acutally this statement is not true, my personal experience is that all the other ATC contractors only pay Uplift on the basic 40 hours, you DO NOT receive overtime or uplift for any hours worked beyond the basic 40.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
Acutally this statement is not true, my personal experience is that all the other ATC contractors only pay Uplift on the basic 40 hours, you DO NOT receive overtime or uplift for any hours worked beyond the basic 40.
It's not the contractors, the federal regulation says that uplift shall only be paid on regular time and cannot be included with overtime/holiday pay. I thought I was getting screwed over the one time so I looked it up. It's out of the contractor company's hands (they're not losing any sleep over it though lol).

MontanaATC

Rookie
Nov 7, 2010

Midwest pays uplift on all hours worked while in theater!

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
MikeATC,

I believe they being other ATC contractors found the same loop hole KBR and DynCorp have used. Midwest and I believe WCG pay uplift on all hours worked, thats why the work schedule is so short with them and your getting paid so much more than the other contractors.

Mar 4, 2009
3,298.26 TWO WEEK TAKE HOME

72 hours a week. I average 8-10 hours a day signed on position 6 days a week.
The numbers are copied directly off my last pay statement, and position hours are directly from tower logs. Only the first 40 hours are given uplift, everything else is straight time.

If you are truly interested, PM I will send you my damn pay statement for the last several periods.

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Cartman,
Thanks, but I think most of us are curious what your basic hourly pay is without uplift or if they roll uplift into the hourly rate what it is. The KBR recruiter that contacted me stated in her email that they paid overtime for any hours worked over 40, which if was true could end up being a significant about of money based upon a 72 hour workweek.

Can you answer a few more questions,

What do they have you doing for those hours that you are still working but not performing ATC?

What and how are the living conditions, and how far are you from the control tower/facility, mess hall, etc. I know this will vary from location

skinsfan523

Rookie
Mar 28, 2010
Cartman,
Thanks, but I think most of us are curious what your basic hourly pay is without uplift or if they roll uplift into the hourly rate what it is. The KBR recruiter that contacted me stated in her email that they paid overtime for any hours worked over 40, which if was true could end up being a significant about of money based upon a 72 hour workweek.

Can you answer a few more questions,

What do they have you doing for those hours that you are still working but not performing ATC?

What and how are the living conditions, and how far are you from the control tower/facility, mess hall, etc. I know this will vary from location
24.23 an hour. What Cartman said is what it is. Don't overthink it! They have you doing ATC for the entire shift. You might get to sit back and relax for an hour or so but you are still sitting in the tower and still listening and helping out. Mess hall is 15 minutes from the tower and the tower is 5-10 minutes from living quarters. Obviously this is based on one location. If you have experience and just want to make some money then apply for the logistics positions,, they make more than the controllers due to the extra day of work. (same base pay to update a bulletin board for 12 hours)

shanglo

Newcomer
Oct 26, 2010
I'm sorry man, no offense to you- but that money sucks!!! $3200 bi weekly?!?! for 72 hours?!?>! WTF Scandalous

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Skin,
Thanks, Midwest offered me Bagram but I had to put them off until after February due to other commitments, the same commitments would prevent me from accept a KBR slot until then too.