Lansing Tower - LAN

MichATCer

Newcomer
Sep 22, 2008
Jackson, MI
Just curious if anyone is familiar with LAN. I've received my TOL in Januaray, awaiting FOL. I'm from the area, but currently working a contract tower in NY.

Julio

Mar 21, 2009
Re: Lansing Tower

lan.natca.net

This will give you tons of info about LAN.

mlaiter

Rookie
Dec 5, 2010
Any updates about Lansing? My TOL has LAN in the filename so I assume I'm penciled in for LAN as of now.

mlaiter

Rookie
Dec 5, 2010
Anyone know anything? I've been to Michigan before, but not the Lansing and just curious about the area.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
The Lansing area is nice. The city itself is home to Cooley Law School, which has a baseball stadium that hosts a number of events. The town of East Lansing, right next to Lansing, is the home of Michigan State University. East Lansing has the more college-town feel if you ask me.

A lot of information is available on the city's website. Living Here | Entertainment | City of Lansing, Michigan

From an ATC perspective, I can tell you as a pilot who flies across Lansing Approach airspace, they have some very nice controllers. Nights are really quiet, but they do know how to work traffic.

mlaiter

Rookie
Dec 5, 2010
More information about the facility itself. I visited the area a little over a month ago, but don't know much about the facility itself.

Julio

Mar 21, 2009
It is a level 8, on the list for a 6. It is rather typical as far as mid to lower level towers go. Management is not over-involved. The traffic has diminished but, still good stuff for a first facility. Martex, a UPS feeder, is based at LAN with about 15 daily morning departures and the same for evening arrivals. So, you will get to sequence a bit. Numerous satellite airports to vector to as well. Lots of crossing traffic into D21. Get ready to say: "cross SPRTN at, maintain 9,000". More crossers going into FNT and GRR.

Anything else? Ask here or PM me.