Lasik rocks

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I had WaveFront LASIK done in April here in St. Louis, and I was 20/20 the next day. At the one week follow-up, I was 20/15, and I still am after 6 months. I had a "prescribed" 6 hour nap when I got home, after which I woke up and could see fine. A little hazy, but that cleared up within 24 hours. I went for my one day follow-up, got my sheet signed and turned in to my ATM, and I was ready to return to work that second day.

Regarding the Valium given before the procedure -- be aware that it's now a 30-day disqualifier if you take it...

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Just a quick check-in to keep this thread active, and to let everyone know that my annual eye checkup in November with my provider went great, and still rocking the 20/20 vision, with no problems. So glad I had it done!

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
Had LASIK done yesterday and my first Post Op appointment this morning. 20/20 vision and I'm good to go back to work on Saturday. I had Custom Wavefront LASIK due to some tests showing I would probably have issues with halos/glare if I went with just the standard procedure. I used Vance Thompson in Sioux Falls and the care was superb. He was one of the first 7 in the United States to perform LASIK and was one of the doctors that testified in Congress to have the procedure passed by the FDA.
COST: $5700. I maxed my FSA this year at $2500 so that will be reimbursed to me. The cost includes two years of post op care and my steroidal/antibiotic drops. If I wouldn't have needed the Wavefront it would have been $4700.

FOW_ER__ATC

Rookie
May 15, 2011
Had LASIK done yesterday and my first Post Op appointment this morning. 20/20 vision and I'm good to go back to work on Saturday. I had Custom Wavefront LASIK due to some tests showing I would probably have issues with halos/glare if I went with just the standard procedure. I used Vance Thompson in Sioux Falls and the care was superb. He was one of the first 7 in the United States to perform LASIK and was one of the doctors that testified in Congress to have the procedure passed by the FDA.
COST: $5700. I maxed my FSA this year at $2500 so that will be reimbursed to me. The cost includes two years of post op care and my steroidal/antibiotic drops. If I wouldn't have needed the Wavefront it would have been $4700.
How long does it last for? Are you going to have better than 20\20?

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
How long does it last for? Are you going to have better than 20\20?
They said that I MAY need readers as I age (I'm 33) but most people need those as they get older. As far as the rest of the vision I should be good for at least 20 years. I talked to a lady who had lasik 20 years ago and she needs glasses now for minor corrections. Her vision was 20/400 before surgery, mine was 20/200, so it makes me wonder if it is because her vision was so bad and that it was done 20 years ago when the technology was still fairly new. My optometrist expects me to correct to 20/15 over the next few weeks/months. I have another post-op in a week and then one in a month and another in 6 months.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Reading glasses has nothing to do with the part of the eye that LASIK fixes. Two completely unrelated things. Results are different for everyone.l but I had PRK done and I am 20/20 in my left, 20/15 in my right, and 20/15 with both eyes. I was 20/400 or something like that before the surgery, as in I couldn't see the big E on the eye chart. Or that there was an eye chart. Just a whiter part of the wall lol. PRK has a longer recovery period than LASIK but it is considered more durable because there's no "flap". Definitely do all your research if you're going to get it done. Make sure it's a good, reputable doc who does it. This is your vision. If they :p:p:p:p it up, you won't be happy.

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
Anyone who does their research and has worn glasses/contacts for years knows that reading glasses and the correction eye surgery does are two different things. I've heard from a few people that had PRK done while in the military that they're back in glasses (and it's only been 7 or 8 years), I've not heard that short of a time for anyone who has had lasik. But when it's free-fifty while on AD you can't turn it down. I was never in one place long enough for the command to sign off on having it done, but glad I went with LASIK, especially knowing now that I probably would have had an issue with halos and glare.

Niles20

Rookie
Oct 22, 2012
I had it done two weeks ago. Pretty much same story as everyone above. Very happy I did it. No pain, really not a ton of discomfort, either. Mine was $5300 and I would have done it sooner but I needed my vision to stabilize before I had it done. Literally the second I sat up from the table I already could see better. Obviously things were a bit hazy but compared to my old vision I had 15 minutes before that, it was night and day.

Post op the next day I was 20/20 in both eyes. Had my 2 week checkup today, 20/20 again. Didn't get to 20/15 like some of you! Haven't had any halo vision at night or anything. The only thing is in when I wake up, my eyes are pretty dry. I use a couple Blink Tears drops when I get up and don't have any dryness the rest of the day.

If you are a candidate, I would definitely recommend it. The lump sum is definitely not 'cheap' but if you add up glasses, contacts, eye exams etc. over a number of years the surgery doesn't seem as costly.

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
I had it done two weeks ago. Pretty much same story as everyone above. Very happy I did it. No pain, really not a ton of discomfort, either. Mine was $5300 and I would have done it sooner but I needed my vision to stabilize before I had it done. Literally the second I sat up from the table I already could see better. Obviously things were a bit hazy but compared to my old vision I had 15 minutes before that, it was night and day.

Post op the next day I was 20/20 in both eyes. Had my 2 week checkup today, 20/20 again. Didn't get to 20/15 like some of you! Haven't had any halo vision at night or anything. The only thing is in when I wake up, my eyes are pretty dry. I use a couple Blink Tears drops when I get up and don't have any dryness the rest of the day.

If you are a candidate, I would definitely recommend it. The lump sum is definitely not 'cheap' but if you add up glasses, contacts, eye exams etc. over a number of years the surgery doesn't seem as costly.
I have probably been over zealous on putting drops in just to make sure there is plenty of moisture. I went to lunch with my friend that drove me and started laughing when we were standing in line b/c I could read the menu. It is definitely a procedure I would recommend, the only uncomfortable part was when they put the thing in to hold the eyelids open, other than that, the whole thing lasted about 7 minutes.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I am so jealous! I have been thinking about LASIK for like a year and a half but am nervous that if something goes wrong, there goes my job and my sight. How many follow up appointments do you have?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I had to get PRK cause my corneas were too thin for LASIK. No hazing and only the slightest bit of halo/starburst around lights at night but only sometimes. I've noticed there's a direct correlation between how tired I am and how noticeable it is. With PRK you're pretty much in a percaset induced coma for like 3 days, avoiding any light source like a vampire, but on the 4th day I woke up at 4am and could see fine. I went for a walk just looking at things that were far away with a big goofy grin slapped across my face. I would reach for my glasses on the night stand or getting out of the shower for a few weeks after, or would try to push them up my nose out of habit before remembering I didn't have them anymore. I think I would pay to do it again before ever putting on another pair of glasses.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I am so jealous! I have been thinking about LASIK for like a year and a half but am nervous that if something goes wrong, there goes my job and my sight. How many follow up appointments do you have?
iirc, there's a next day, a 3 or 5 day, a 3 month, 6 month, 1 year follow ups. But that was the Air Force and back in 2012 so I could be wrong or it could have changed. Also private doc might be different.

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
For me it as the day after, then in one week, then one month, six months, one year and then yearly after that :) I was terrified too bc of the same thoughts. I nearly called the day before to cancel. It was flawless though

Niles20

Rookie
Oct 22, 2012
I have probably been over zealous on putting drops in just to make sure there is plenty of moisture. I went to lunch with my friend that drove me and started laughing when we were standing in line b/c I could read the menu. It is definitely a procedure I would recommend, the only uncomfortable part was when they put the thing in to hold the eyelids open, other than that, the whole thing lasted about 7 minutes.
I definitely understand the menu scenario! To this day I still try and push my glasses up and as I do it I realize there's nothing there. Wonder how long it'll take for me to stop doing that haha. And I agree, out of the entire process the most uncomfortable part was when they put the thing to hold your eyes open. Basically, a metal tong of some sort that is kind of pressing against your eye... but my numbing drops kicked in about 5 seconds later and after that I didn't feel a thing. The laser portion for each eye took 22 seconds. But with prep and all I'd say about 15 mins.

Niles20

Rookie
Oct 22, 2012
I get that for sure. I was nervous of that (as I'm sure many are) the whole time. Just make sure you go somewhere that is reputable and knows what they are doing.

I think depending on where you go, the follow ups will slightly vary but mine was next day, 2 weeks, month, 4 months, 6 months and 1 year

Niles20

Rookie
Oct 22, 2012
Is it worth the risk when your vision is not bad like you guys? I'd love to have 20/15 or 20/10
I'd say if your vision is not terrible and you don't mind wearing glasses/contacts, then it's not necessary. But, waking up in the morning and not having to reach for my glasses or putting contacts in my eyes has been amazing.

For me, I've been wearing contacts for 15+ years and it was getting to the point where within an hour of wearing them I would get massive headaches. I tried all sorts of different brands and types (1 a days, 2 week/monthly disposables, soft/hard lenses) and nothing was working so I finally said alright I'm going for lasik. I'm not sure what my glasses prescription was but my contacts were -6.25 in both eyes.

Glasses never gave me an issue in terms of comfort, but I'd much rather be able to not have to wear them (why I wore contacts).

If anything, I'd recommend going in and just having the consultation to see if you're a candidate.