LAWRS

atcguy88

Newcomer
Jan 16, 2018
I will be starting at a new facility soon, and will have to take the LAWRS test. Anyone that has already taken the test is there any helpful information that you can provided? Outside of me reading the 7900.5 from front to back?

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
It's a boring test. You fail the first time,you have to wait 2 weeks to retake it. You won't use 98% of the information they give you. Not sure how chill your ATM is, but if he is, take notes and use them to pass the test. You only need to take it once, as long as whatever facility you transfer to also requires LAWRS.

Amras3

Rookie
Jan 13, 2017
Just finished it myself. Most facilities (like mine) allow notes from what I understand, so your best bet is to just pay attention and take EXTREMELY detailed notes as you go through the course. It's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
I worked at a facility once where they allowed a controller who was previously a WX observer actually be in the room with us when we tested. Take that for what it's worth. Most ATMs recognize that 95% of what it's in the test is way more specific than anything you'll ever do. That said... if you ever have to "legitimately" take it... good luck. For controllers it's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but I have a WX friend (with a controller spouse) who swears their test is light years beyond ours.

Deetman

Newcomer
Apr 30, 2018
I had to go take it at the NWS office in Pittsburgh. Serious PITA. I had a GREAT instructor to learn LAWRS with though (Jim Scott).
When I got to my first duty station 20 years ago (!) I became the guy to sit in the CBI room while newbies took their tests.
I’d say try to be generally familiar with observations, and if the test is similar, try to know the anomalies. There used to be a lot of questions about them.

I suspect you will be fine. Good luck and let us know how you do!

twn

Nov 7, 2012
I had to go take it at the NWS office in Pittsburgh. Serious PITA. I had a GREAT instructor to learn LAWRS with though (Jim Scott).
When I got to my first duty station 20 years ago (!) I became the guy to sit in the CBI room while newbies took their tests.
I’d say try to be generally familiar with observations, and if the test is similar, try to know the anomalies. There used to be a lot of questions about them.

I suspect you will be fine. Good luck and let us know how you do!
Jim Scott is a great guy. He taught at CCBC for awhile, last I heard he retired a couple years ago.