LC1 and LC2 Coordination............

atc_godzilla

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2012
Okay, lets set the scene and see what you guys come up with.

LC1 is responsible for single RWY ops.
LC2 is responsible for Helicopter ops in an airspace defined as 300' AGL below not including 1/2 mile finals and RWY
LC2 helo ops consist of air tour operators located just outside the airport property.

So the debate is this...... Flight paths of Helos overfly the RWY. Coordination is conducted verbally without any prescribed phraseology between LC1 and LC2 controllers (everyone says at minimum "Cross"). There is no prescribed ALT for Helos to cross RWY in the LOA. There are two parts to this debate. First, what is the proper, legal phraseology (if any) used to coordinate this operation. Second, is it required to be on the recorded line? Just some background, the facility is a Level 5 VFR Class Delta Airspace and consists of mostly tour operators. Apparently this has been ongoing for years and I get to be the lucky guy on the new SOP rewrite collaboration group. lol :( Any insight helps.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
I’ve worked at four facilities and never had to coordinate runway crossings or any sort of hover/air taxi operations on a recorded line.

As for the phraseology, I would say cross is probably acceptable, but it the LOA should probably be rewritten to specify altitude, crossing point, etc.

atc_godzilla

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2012
Yeah that’s my thinking! Unfortunately I’m the minority lol The supervisor and other CPC want recorded coordination! I really don’t see where this is referenced or mentioned in 65. Maybe some sort of memory aid can assist.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
So believe it or not, this actually came up in a different context in our facility yesterday, and I found this. So per the .65, it does not need to be recorded. However, a local facility can establish a directive in their SOP to require it. Since it is a change in working conditions, it must be negotiated through NATCA. Hope this helps.

3−1−4. COORDINATION BETWEEN LOCAL AND GROUND CONTROLLERS
Local and ground controllers must exchange information as necessary for the safe and efficient use of airport runways and movement areas. This may be accomplished via verbal means, flight progress strips, other written information, or automation displays. As a minimum, provide aircraft identification and applicable runway/intersection/taxiway information as follows: