Length of Academy

Walt

Rookie
Aug 22, 2008
NW Georgia
Is there a standard amount of time that all new hires spend in the Academy at OKC? For terminal? En route?

Or does it depend on the inidividual: background, how well you do, facility level, etc?

I have heard a flat 3 months, but someone told me it could be longer......

Thanks!

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
you will take two separate classes... a basics class and then a terminal OR en route class depending on your facility. The en route class is longer than the terminal class. Sorry, I dont know the lengths.

Wrst

Newcomer
Aug 28, 2008
Philly
Is there a standard amount of time that all new hires spend in the Academy at OKC? For terminal? En route?

Or does it depend on the inidividual: background, how well you do, facility level, etc?

I have heard a flat 3 months, but someone told me it could be longer......

Thanks!
Straight from the Firm offer letter:

Basics = 25 classroom days

Initial Tower Training = 37 classroom days.

Remember those are classroom days and should be thought of as business days. According to an HR rep with regards to my class date. I'm going for terminal, OTS, will start October 21 and end January 16th.

MattJordan

Sep 18, 2008
Straight from the Firm offer letter:

Basics = 25 classroom days

Initial Tower Training = 37 classroom days.

Remember those are classroom days and should be thought of as business days. According to an HR rep with regards to my class date. I'm going for terminal, OTS, will start October 21 and end January 16th.
Do you get Holidays off? What about Christmas?

KiloRomeo

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2008
You get all federal holidays off while at the academy (paid holidays). For the rest of this year there will be Columbus day,Veterans day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

KR

lazerr11

Aug 28, 2008
Kingston, NH
You get all federal holidays off while at the academy (paid holidays). For the rest of this year there will be Columbus day,Veterans day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

KR
Christmas this year is on a Thursday. Would you get the following day off as well so you could go home for a long weekend?

SNAX

Rookie
Aug 26, 2008
Palmdale
17 weeks for entire thing for en route for OTS
Friggin Weeeeeeeeeeeee!:8 I actually can't wait.
I am to expect to be contacted finally, this coming week. Remember, I am a Feb-15 applicant, and a patient one at that.. I'm just shmoozin along.

Wrst

Newcomer
Aug 28, 2008
Philly
According to HR you only get the actual day off of the holiday. IE only Christmas day and only Thanksgiving Day.

SNAX

Rookie
Aug 26, 2008
Palmdale
If it makes it any extra fun, you can do a little gift exchange... get a mini tree lol that seems pretty nifty if you ask me.
Does it snow in Oklahoma during the winter?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
another thing to remember is that the University is no longer in charge of the FAA school, its now contracted to Raytheon meaning things could change between now and then.

cboy40

Rookie
Sep 17, 2008
it is icy in the winter time. i am from KS and have the same thing. oklahoma is kind of the border though. if it is a mild winter, they will get rain. if it is not so mild, it will be ice.

Stewart730

Newcomer
Sep 15, 2008
I am going to the St. Louis Tracon, and basics is 25 class days, and then the terminal class is 9 class days according to my FOL.....I start on thursday.

TWRFLWR

Newcomer
Sep 22, 2008
another thing to remember is that the University is no longer in charge of the FAA school, its now contracted to Raytheon meaning things could change between now and then.
OU was never in charge of anything other than supplying contract instructors. The same holds true for Raytheon. The FAA runs the training. Nothing will change.

TWRFLWR

Newcomer
Sep 22, 2008
Christmas this year is on a Thursday. Would you get the following day off as well so you could go home for a long weekend?
The Prez often throws us a bone and gives another day or half day depending on when the actual holiday falls. In this instance we would expect to get Friday off but not to be notified till a few days ahead. You'll be scheduled to work Friday. If we get it and you can make travel arrangements that quickly or you can drive home then great. Don't plan on it though.