Level 7 VFR Tower Washout Options

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
And it's cali, so there is that whole lack of water thing. If your into that.
and the whole liberal mess that has gotten that state in such a financial crisis that they tax the middle class so much and don't tax the poor at all leaving such a little gap between those that work for a living and those that dont.

Reactions: phillyman2633

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Not necessarily....I had a friend go to the NEST who requested my facility so I put in a good word for him and our ATM was able to get him an offer for here...but he turned it down t go to some limp-wiener tower in Texas cuz HE'S A DIRTY PIRATE HOOKER AND YES YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE YOU FILTHY OKIE SISTERBANGER

.....Had my current facility not been on that list, It would have happened. Knowing what I know now about my current facility, it would have happened....

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
That's pretty cool of your friend to wanna go there, you get him there, and he says ah :p:p:p:p it.

Maybe he was testing your loyalty.
It was an option, if none of my other choices were favorable to me. I wasn't like YES, I WANT TO GO TO SJU 100 PERCENT!!!!!!!! oh, nevermind. not at all how it worked.

Allan

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2014
Have you heard any news yet? I am a level 7 up/down washout. My last day training was 3/5/15. I also had letters of recommendations from my ATM, supervisor, and NATCA rep. I heard unofficially about a month and a half ago that the NEST still recommended termination. I have been on admin since then. No real news or official letter.

007hamster

Feb 25, 2009
NATCA Meeting
Just heard from NATCA that I am being retained, so this is good news! Still waiting on the facilities list from the higher ups. Kind of hoping for (in no particular order) APC, STS, RNO, STT, ARB, OGG. My main concern is just getting checked out, I'm still young, so long ERR release's are not much concern.

It would be cool to tour STT first if it is indeed on my list, but I just checked flights from Denver are like $1200 with multiple stops making it a 14+ hour flight each way, yikes!

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
STT is gorgeous. I'm in SJU, would love to stay down here but it's too expensive and I'm paying $1200 a month in student loans.

If you're single and have no financial obligations, I say go for it. Hell of an experience.

That being said, be prepared to be ignored by the FAA. People don't know shit about the facilities here in the Caribbean, and f#ck how expensive everything is, your locality is 14% because no one gives a shit outside here.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
What makes SJU so expensive? What's rent, gas and a gallon of milk cost on average?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Any time you are on an island everything is going to be more expensive because almost everything has to be brought in by ship, so along with that far more items are imports as opposed to locally oroduced/manufactured.

jorgeluis161

Nov 13, 2009
Hey 007 that's awesome to hear.... I was in the Nest 8/12 and I haven't heard yet about being retained. I do know my ATM recommended me for retention. My rep here hasn't helped but I am happy that yours is helping you out and found out and gave you the good news. My training was suspended beginning of July and my TRB was end of July. My paperwork was sent 10 days before the NEST met so I was probably one of the last to be seen.... You mind if I send you a PM have some questions for you

Just heard from NATCA that I am being retained, so this is good news! Still waiting on the facilities list from the higher ups. Kind of hoping for (in no particular order) APC, STS, RNO, STT, ARB, OGG. My main concern is just getting checked out, I'm still young, so long ERR release's are not much concern.

It would be cool to tour STT first if it is indeed on my list, but I just checked flights from Denver are like $1200 with multiple stops making it a 14+ hour flight each way, yikes!

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Any time you are on an island everything is going to be more expensive because almost everything has to be brought in by ship, so along with that far more items are imports as opposed to locally oroduced/manufactured.
Yeah I got that but I'm more curious as to how expensive it is there compared to living in SoCal or the Northeast, here stateside.

007hamster

Feb 25, 2009
NATCA Meeting
Got my list. Only 4 facilities, all level 4's.

CSG Columbus Georgia
LAF Lafayette Indianna
MIC Crystal Minnesota
SCK Stockton California.

I would have liked APC or even JNO being from Seattle.

Any comments on the 4 would be appreciated, I really just want to check out!

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
They are all ATC-4 towers. None of them are probably a place where you want to live forever. And frankly, if you can't check out at any ATC-4 tower, you weren't meant for this job.

If I were you, I would choose the one with the best balance of salary to cost of living, which is probably either CSG or LAF.